Bombardier ALP-45DP

That asset can be replaced by any other horn.

When I run into a missing dependency which I can't find, I will check the config.txt file to see what it is. If it's a horn sound for example, I will choose one of the many gazillion that are already installed on my system and use that by substituting the KUID for the missing asset with one I have installed. When doing this, you have to remember to replace the asset both as listed in the tag-portion of the config.txt as well as in the kuid-table.

Thanks, both of you. Yeah, usually I am pretty good at that, but I just hadn't checked these yet. Sometimes unknown assets ore only on the KUID tables at the bottom with no clue what they are. Now there's an improvement for 2019! Require the descriptions on the kuid tables!

Now, if you're lazy and are impatient, you can always get the talent to convert a MSTS model into Trainz. I don't know how, but my friends do. It's for the best, both legally and logically, that you do NOT distribute the asset unless you get perms from the original asset creator. If you want to be extra safe, ask them beforehand if you can convert. Besides, from what I know, there's a NJT ALP45-DP for MSTS/OR (as well as an ACS-64) that are payware. I'd really recommend waiting for someone to create a custom model specifically for Trainz.

Now, if you're lazy and are impatient, you can always get the talent to convert a MSTS model into Trainz. I don't know how, but my friends do. It's for the best, both legally and logically, that you do NOT distribute the asset unless you get perms from the original asset creator. If you want to be extra safe, ask them beforehand if you can convert. Besides, from what I know, there's a NJT ALP45-DP for MSTS/OR (as well as an ACS-64) that are payware. I'd really recommend waiting for someone to create a custom model specifically for Trainz.

Converting MSTS models does not work well if it can be done at all. The models are constructed differently and generally perform very poorly in Trainz. More importantly there is also the copyright issue that you mentioned, and payware clearly falls squarely in that category more so than freeware.

JCitron said well, they're payware so it's dead but if you want to convert MSTS trains into Trainz without much difficulties the only way is to ask the original creator to send you the mesh files directly from his 3D modeling software then you do the installation into Trainz with all the configuration etc

Before this post, I have to say sorry to those people which I made a VERY inappropriate thread and posts on impulse at the beginning of this year.

Converting MSTS models does not work well if it can be done at all. The models are constructed differently and generally perform very poorly in Trainz.
After several month later there is my knowledge I have learned on mesh smooth from different games and 3D formats and made this consequence.
MSTS's shape file use per vertex normal or so call weighted normal which give a lot of control on face smooth, while Trainz's mesh format use this method:
Please note that the Trainz meshes have no support for the smoothing groups in 3DSMax. Use welded vertices to achieve the effect.
-Trainz Wiki
That's mean in 3ds Max:
Method 1: Apply all faces to one smooth group and break shared vertices between faces that you don't want to be smooth.
Method 2: Using multiple smooth group as traditional method since Trainz mesh exporter will split vertices automatically.
Use Edit Normal Modifier to adjust each normals will not work. That's mean you can't use this technique that can be archive in MSTS.

Beside from that, I found many of early day models didn't do well on mesh optimization even they are fairly lowpoly enough or delete some backward faces to save the polycount.

So you need to do a lot of jobs to fix mesh problem and reassign smooth group to each faces manually to recover the model that can't not be in 100% identical from original one(But most people use smooth group in that era). It may not worth to do the conversion and also require original author's permission.

But as always, we are encourage you to start making new contents from scratch to contribute Trainz community if you have a free time!
:)

Last edited:
Back