Trainz "Next" (TRS19) Official Announcement

My comments in the article refer and while I'm interested to see what this brings to the table, I'm also skeptical that under the surface it is just the same old Trainz plodding along.

Definitely support comments above re sound - we are seeing much hype over the shiny improved graphics and not much on sound, or indeed that other vital component - physics. Don't make the mistake DTG have with Trainsim World which is all style and no substance.

A video clip of in game footage or screenshots untouched by the marketing department, together with a contents list, would also go some way towards proof of concept.

Yay! an oppurtunity to buy everything again and feel the same remorse again as I realise it fails to progress any 'simulation' aspect yet once more, and maintains the same old non-prototypical behaviour again. Just what I wanted.

Is it OK to be positive in this thread because as with T:ANE and likely TS12 etc. before that any announcement of a new release of Trainz really tends to bring out the negative in people. I may be in the minority, but then I was with T:ANE as well, but I'm looking forward TRS2019 warts and all. Accept Trainz is a bit like life, it's work in progress and generally turns out just fine. Peter

Is it OK to be positive in this thread because as with T:ANE and likely TS12 etc. before that any announcement of a new release of Trainz really tends to bring out the negative in people. I may be in the minority, but then I was with T:ANE as well, but I'm looking forward TRS2019 warts and all. Accept Trainz is a bit like life, it's work in progress and generally turns out just fine. Peter

Well said, I am positive about it too.
I admit to side-lining my TANE puschase for a while before delving into it and ditching TS12 but I was pleased when I did.

Warts and all, Trainz is my hobby and I like it.

It certainly is ok to be positive but the points raised are by the more skeptical people still valid. While TANE in the end is now a better sim than TS12 also a lot of points still haven't basically changed like ages like the sound engine. Also the sound side has to be something that impresses right out of the box. Sound is often mentioned as a weak point of Trainz (for example in Steam reviews). If you get sound right I think you will be getting much better reviews at release.

With each release of Trainz we see upgraded graphics which is fine but then after the release it turns out that the rest of the engine is basically not so updated and often it is left to the community to bring that up to a better quality.

Without a doubt Trainz can be made excellent and is already an excellent program. It is for example unbeaten in flexibility and the power you have to make your own Train worlds. If I don't like the game then was playing another game already for years but I'm not.

However a new version of Trainz should be excellent right out of the box on all aspects and not just graphics. This is not being negative. I say this as a fan. I think it is an observation of how previous releases went. Now with the newest release N3V has a chance to do this better than past releases.

Last edited:
Sign up for the TRS2019 newsletter to keep in touch with all the latest news and images. Marketing are putting together images and information and there will be a steady stream coming your way.

Regarding sound, you can think of Trainz a bit like renovating a house. As you fimprove one area, the next one begins to look worse - sound is certainly an area that needs improving but only once we’ve got all the electricity and plumbing working smoothly.

Our aim with TRS2019 is that we’ll have the underlying systems in great shape allowing us the time and freedom to be working on adding features (like a sound system overhaul, AI update etc).

These things all take time and money so, just like the home renovation, you do as much as you can this year and more next year.

Sign up for the TRS2019 newsletter to keep in touch with all the latest news and images. Marketing are putting together images and information and there will be a steady stream coming your way.

Regarding sound, you can think of Trainz a bit like renovating a house. As you fimprove one area, the next one begins to look worse - sound is certainly an area that needs improving but only once we’ve got all the electricity and plumbing working smoothly.

Our aim with TRS2019 is that we’ll have the underlying systems in great shape allowing us the time and freedom to be working on adding features (like a sound system overhaul, AI update etc).

These things all take time and money so, just like the home renovation, you do as much as you can this year and more next year.

That certainly is the case. Good plan :). Looking forward to the new things coming.

Improve the sound by all means, but don't remove the clickety-clack as an option. For some of us it's absolutely essential.

Congratulations with the official name release! I am really looking forward to when trs2019 is released and using the new clutter alongside the texture changes to see how my custom route/s will be transformed when some replacement is done. Exciting stuff.

p.s. I too would like to see the clickety-clack kept as an option.

Last edited:
So , if it does all that ( and i presume more ) why are you bothering with Trainz? ( and i'm no Trainz apologist ,as i think it has lots of faults )

Because I, along with everyone else in this community is interested in railroads and the operation of trains. I am bothering with Trainz because I see it's potential to be the best railway simulator available for PC's. It has an excellent method to building routes with relative ease, and that's its very strong point. The developers historically releases new versions that focuses too much on graphical improvements which is nice, but as others have pointed out, realism isn't only visuals. Sound and physics equally adds into the realistic feeling of a simulator. If Tony announced that the next version of Trainz is all about it's audio and physics enhancements changing the way Tracksound, Enginesound and Engine KUID's handle these new enhancements, I would be all over this. Instead, all I feel he's announcing is TRS09 with some new cosmetics.

Congratulations.

I am wondering will there be a procedure so people can import items that are builtin from Tane to TS2019? Also, will the built in items still be locked down and unable to modify them?

I have always imported my previous items and some built ins from one version of Trainz to the next. It is one of the selling points for me.

I ask as I am curious and I am sure others are also.

If Tony announced that the next version of Trainz is all about it's audio and physics enhancements changing the way Tracksound, Enginesound and Engine KUID's handle these new enhancements, I would be all over this.

Amen! I'll admit to having more or less stopped playing the game for the most part, but the audio especially is huge for me. There are sounds in TS12 and TANE both from 2004 or earlier - looking at them in a spectrogram program like Spek or in Audacity reveals the files to be downright disgusting. I opened up the sound file for the rain in Spek and it actually kind of hurts me physically to look at (and what a tragic misuse of .wav files! Wavs are lossless, this file in particular is hardly worthy of even an MP3 or AAC. Yikes!). The builtin sounds in this game are horrifically compressed and so unpleasant to hear - I can't think of a single default sound effect that actually sounds decent off hand. The lackluster attention to audio in Trainz really does turn me off of using the program a lot. Sound is so, so important and it seems like N3V has just not paid attention to that, which is a real shame. I'd definitely be more interested in new versions of Trainz if the sound engine and default sounds were upgraded - that would be a huge improvement.

Thankfully, I don't expect much from anyone or anything anymore, so I won't be let down regardless of how it goes.

Cheers,
SM

It is interesting to see the divergence of views in this thread over what the new version should include and what it should do.

Personally, it is graphics and programming (via the Session Rules) that are the most important for me. I really have no interest in the sound realism or quality - I usually play Trainz with the sound turned off mainly because others around me find it annoying, as they would if I was playing PacMan. Hence, I think that N3V should be concentrating on the visual and programming elements.

With everyone having different expectations then no matter what the new "loco in the Trainz roundhouse" turns out to be like, some people are bound to be disappointed.

I usually play Trainz with the sound turned off mainly because others around me find it annoying, as they would if I was playing PacMan.
Have this issue at home with my partner and myself. I hear the sounds/music coming from his pc, and he hears me with Trainz or Fallout 4. So I wear headphones and it is peace all round :D.

A new exiting product "Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019" would be most welcome for trainz sim modelers.
Well hope that this product can also be purchased as a disk set copy from Australian or global software gaming shops.
Always good to have a registered disk copy because sometimes may need to upgrade the personal computer or restore software after a major crash.
Just a thought why not supply with the new game an inbuilt KUID repair editor tool program (similar to the AssetX) or tools for creating ad-dons,
because many Trainz users do use these handy tools.

Not to mention that TRS 2019 has to be able to work offline (doesn't matter if there are different versions)

It is interesting to see the divergence of views in this thread over what the new version should include and what it should do.

Personally, it is graphics and programming (via the Session Rules) that are the most important for me. I really have no interest in the sound realism or quality - I usually play Trainz with the sound turned off mainly because others around me find it annoying, as they would if I was playing PacMan. Hence, I think that N3V should be concentrating on the visual and programming elements.

With everyone having different expectations then no matter what the new "loco in the Trainz roundhouse" turns out to be like, some people are bound to be disappointed.

Indeed, it is difficult to find a good middle ground and not disappoint people generally. Such is life in game development it seems.

Sound is pretty critical for me. I'm a huge audiophile and so keeping high quality audio through my headphones is really important. It's one of the most important immersive parts of gaming for me - a good example would be those Star Wars Battlefronts from the last 2 years. Their excellent attention to sound design really helps to sell the Star Wars feel of the games - and I've felt similar when playing TSW. The latter is by no means a perfect game but many of the sounds are pretty solid IMO and definitely help make it feel alive - something Trainz has always lacked to me.

Cheers,
SM

Actually I think the sounds in TANE are quite nice at the moment. I would rather see the graphics nicer and have little to no bugs left.

Back