Trainz "Next" (TRS19) Official Announcement

I have to agree here,It would be great if TS2010 and TS12 SpeedTrees would be backward compatible with TRS2019. Then you could just take a TS12 built-in route (Like the Norfolk And Western Appalachian Coal route,I like that one.) and put it in TRS2019 with no issues. But I might pre-order TRS2019 (If there is a pre-order.) even if there was no bonus for doing so and also hearing all the great sounding features of TRS2019 makes me want to pre-order... but since my laptop and PC tower are both a pile of junk,I am wondering if the laptop or the PC tower can even run TRS2019 on the lowest settings.:confused:

I have to agree here,It would be great if TS2010 and TS12 SpeedTrees would be backward compatible with TRS2019. Then you could just take a TS12 built-in route (Like the Norfolk And Western Appalachian Coal route,I like that one.) and put it in TRS2019 with no issues. But I might pre-order TRS2019 (If there is a pre-order.) even if there was no bonus for doing so and also hearing all the great sounding features of TRS2019 makes me want to pre-order... but since my laptop and PC tower are both a pile of junk,I am wondering if the laptop or the PC tower can even run TRS2019 on the lowest settings.:confused:

That's extremely unlikely to happen (and not due to N3V either). TRS2019 would have to be 32-bit in order for that to happen and that would mean it would have to use the TS12 engine etc as T:ANE has a 64-bit engine.

Shane

Then perhaps make a special edition of TRS2019 that uses the TS12 engine but still has some features of TRS2019 (Like PBR,maybe height maps.) and the special edition of TRS2019 will not have high detail but it's just for using routes that use old SpeedTrees with being able to use T:ANE and TRS2019 stuff? (And for use on low performance PC's?)

Or maybe N3V could try to pack in a tool with TRS2019 that practically converts TS2010 and TS12 SpeedTrees to T:ANE SpeedTrees? I just hope N3V doesn't go to 7.0 SpeedTrees and make T:ANE SpeedTrees faulty...:confused:

That's extremely unlikely to happen (and not due to N3V either). TRS2019 would have to be 32-bit in order for that to happen and that would mean it would have to use the TS12 engine etc as T:ANE has a 64-bit engine.

Shane

I agree unlikely. I think this came about due to a licensing issue with the Speed Tree developer going from 32-bit to 64-bit with forced upgrades being required.

It would have been nice if there was a converter though that took the older trees and upgraded them to the 64-bit versions as that would have helped a lot.

So long as TRS2019 doesn't obsolete the Speedtrees we currently have in TANE...

Also worth mentioning at this point the announcement from DTG that their *free* annual Railworks update to TS2019 is going 64 bit.
As I posted elsewhere, this is potentially big news. I also suspect the light has dawned at DTG that serious simmers just aren't engaged with TSW, while the physics remains rather poor and the lack of any editing suite.

This has got me thinking about jumping back into Railworks route building again. Had a really enjoyable drive yesterday evening with the Jinty on a Workshop route extension of the WCML South to Windermere. It just looks and feels about 15 years ahead of where N3V are even with TANE, particularly decent looking cabs and weather effects.

Last edited:
There's a lot I wish I can say right now and it's killing me, but I'm bound by the NDA that I signed. When the public beta is released, I highly recommend hopping in and giving it a try. You'll be amazed.

The N3V provided trees would not be so bad if they were not so poorly colored/brightness levels. They are one of the oddest attempts at trees I have every seen. The structures are ok but they literally glow in the dark and suddenly take on new appearances as you across a magic Limit of Distance line and they jump from reasonable to terrible. Normally several LOD values would be used. N3V used 2. The best fix is the Bulk Replacement providing that we have a really good replacement. Took me two hours to replace them in a large well known commercial route.

Shane

Could a routine just pad out the 32bit description file(s) with SpeedTrees version of no-ops?

Not sure on that as it's also to do with the Speedtree compiler as well.

Shane

I believe this is the case as well. I checked into updating an older Speed Tree in T:ANE by pointing to the newer libraries, which it already does through the config.txt file because it's a built-in asset. It didn't work. There's something internal to the tree asset its self which flags an error, which means there's something compiled within the data.

An issue I haven't seen mentioned yet (although I've probably missed it somewhere) is whether N3V will again make a DRM-free version available on disc.

--Lamont

I believe this is the case as well. I checked into updating an older Speed Tree in T:ANE by pointing to the newer libraries, which it already does through the config.txt file because it's a built-in asset. It didn't work. There's something internal to the tree asset its self which flags an error, which means there's something compiled within the data.

IDV the SpeedTree people change the inner workings quite dramatically of the SpeedTree engine with each new version, I got this from IDV, just after TANE appeared. It was a bit more of a technical explanation than that but I forget exactly what the terms used were! Anyway that is why there is no backwards compatibility and never will be. The best you will get it that old models will load in the latest SpeedTree Modeler and will then need recompiling with the updated SpeedTree Compiler to work with the relevant engine. They are actually on Version 8 now!

IDV the SpeedTree people change the inner workings quite dramatically of the SpeedTree engine with each new version, I got this from IDV, just after TANE appeared. It was a bit more of a technical explanation than that but I forget exactly what the terms used were! Anyway that is why there is no backwards compatibility and never will be. The best you will get it that old models will load in the latest SpeedTree Modeler and will then need recompiling with the updated SpeedTree Compiler to work with the relevant engine. They are actually on Version 8 now!

That explains it good enough for me. :)

Version 8 now... I'm sure there are other "features" added which make anything before obsolete and can't be upgraded. I hate to say it but this is a money making scheme for IDV. Discrete did, or still does for that matter, with 3DS Max. It doesn't break the models, but every update means scrapping all the expensive plug-ins and repurchasing upgraded ones at a hefty price.

Back