Question on the Horseshoe Curve and Altoona to Johnston Routes

Heinrich505

I did a forum search for the Horseshoe Curve and checked items in the DLS. There was a lot of interest in this years past, but there doesn't seem to be much on it now, unless I am missing it somewhere.

The latest posts seem to be from deadpoolmx55's post on the horseshoe curve, that being May 2017. The work in progress for Trainz Forge doesn't show anything further since 2016.

There is a Pittsburge to Altoona terrain generated map on the DLS by jrfolco, and there is a route Altoona 2004 by johnda1237 also on the DLS.

I am not sure that Altoona 2004 would work well with TANE, and I am running TANE SP2, so downloading that route might end up with lots of missing assets, but it sounds like it covers everything from Johnston to Altoona.

The horseshoe curve is quite an iconic part of railroad lore, and I'm wondering if this is modeled anywhere recently that would work in TANE. I'd like to run old PRR steam on it, so the 4 track version would be ideal, but the modern 3 track version would be fine and could be adjusted to earlier years if desired.

Does anyone have new information on this or possible suggestions?

Heinrich505

Most likely all the other persons Horseshoe Curve routes will be either payware, delayed for a while, only have 2 - 3 tracks, or will only start at ANTIS interlocking, to Johnstown ... even mine is not done yet, as it goes all the way from Harrisburg/Enola to Conway Pittsburgh. Without the tiger data HOG lines, JRFolco's is sort of useless as you can not see any map detail nor tracings

Without the tiger data HOG lines, JRFolco's is sort of useless as you can not see any map detail nor tracings

I disagree with your above referenced statement. If you want Tiger Data Hog lines, you have to resort to the HOG system of terrain generation which is outdated and not very accurate. Even TransDEM doesn't offer them. On the Pittsburgh to Altoona terrain generated map, and all of my maps, I inserted signs along the tracks showing the location of all towns along the right of way. Locating these towns on USGS maps will give you all of the info about rails, roads, and waterways that you need. If you prefer to use historical USGS maps, you may find them Here

It takes a little effort to create a route using this method, but creating a good route requires a lot of effort.

Back