Article: Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully at the least in TRS2019 we can lock the post processing settings that offer slightly more realistic graphics.

Other than the "somewhere in Canadian Rockies" route, still waiting to hear what the other routes are. Hopefully - verdict on graphics improvements notwithstanding - these will actually be something that can showcase the new sim and not relics from 2006. TRS2019 needs to be going "one on one" with the latest that DTG are offering, both in their heritage product and TSW - if graphics are the main focus of this release.

Regarding content creation, it's true, we do have favourites. Our favourite content creators are the ones who work together with us to produce great content.

Rewards are available on an equal basis for everyone who signs up through our Trainz Content Creation Program (contentcreators.trainzportal.com).

I have no idea what you might be referring to outside of that as I have no knowledge of any intentional bias (which it appears that you are implying?).

Regarding "non-working software", the demise of N3V Games has been predicted regularly over the past almost 20 years, and yet we're still here. As you can read earlier in this thread, there are many happy customers and many excited by the next installment. Our update schedule is pretty close to that of Microsoft with their Windows 10 software:
* Win 10 released July 2015, and 5 major releases since then with another due "later this year".
* TANE, released May 2015, and 6 major releases since then and another due shortly.

I would say that providing updates is part of the service of software companies these days, and we haven't charged for any of those updates. The number and severity of issues being resolved in each update is decreasing, and the stability and functionality improving each update. It;s true that occasionally there is a set back. These setbacks tend to be specific to one area of the program under a very specific set of circumstances.

We don't expect everyone to be happy, and we don't expect everyone will jump on board on day 1. What we do expect is that with wider pre-release testing, the myriad of different hardware, content and operational configurations employed by our users will identify any major issues prior to the official release date.

Historically we would have released a new version of Trainz prior to now and asked our customers to pay for that update. So rather than ignoring our customers, we're doing everything we possibly can to ensure that when we release the next version of Trainz that we have covered as many bases as possible.

I'm not sure what else we could do beyond having over a thousand people test the product and fixing as many of the issues identified as possible. If we charged more, we would have less customers. If we rework every known system and ensure bug free operation before releasing, we will release in 2030 (except that we wouldn't have any cashflow to pay the staff, so that isn't a feasible option).

Ultimately, we will do our best. If we do a good job, the product will be well supported. If we don't it won't. And while some will say TANE "didn't work" the numbers speak for themsleves. There are more people playing TANE today than at any time since release 3 years ago.

*/ Rant over :)
I was here pretty much from the start and now I'm hoping to be here for a few more years at least. Can't say I disagree with anything you wrote :)

Was one of the lucking ones to guess it was the Rocky Mountaineer and can't say it really disappoints. Would have liked to see a bit more country variety. The rest of the world also has trains and some really nice ones too. So every rivet and bolt isn't perfect, perhaps it is the extra consist that has been held in reserve for that special occasion, like when Trainz 2019 will be released.

Considering the size of the Trainz user base, it's still amazing there are only a few nay-saying Trainz 2019 before it is even out to validate their pessimism. But then it's still pretty early.

Congratulations trainman7616. Our artist must be left-handed :)

With an eye for detail and a love of trains, you've earned yourself an invitation to our closed beta testing (so keep an eye out on your inbox).
ah man! why couldnt i have seen that...

So can N3V/Tony clear up an issue which has come up elsewhere - where it is claimed the Canadian route pack is going to be the only content which actually ships in TRS2019.

If so, appears N3V going down the DTG TSW route with the core code which everyone has to buy regardless of whether they want it or not, in order to run the DLC which will then follow.

If true, will TRS2019 therefore be pitched at an appropriate lower price, say GBP £20/USD$25?

Confirmation or denial appreciated.

So can N3V/Tony clear up an issue which has come up elsewhere - where it is claimed the Canadian route pack is going to be the only content which actually ships in TRS2019.
If so, appears N3V going down the DTG TSW route with the core code which everyone has to buy regardless of whether they want it or not, in order to run the DLC which will then follow.

Who knows where people get this information from - certainly not the people who know exactly what is going to be included (which is definitely more than a Canadian route pack). And as we've said many times before, freeware via the Trainz Download Station is one of the key strengths of Trainz, so that isn't changing either. Payware is part of our business model, and that is here to stay as well, but we're conscious of making things as affordable as possible, while also recognizing that the product is not mass market (therefore, simple economics dictates that prices are necessarily higher than they would be if the market were bigger).

I've asked this elsewhere and it's not been answered , so I'll post it here , will the new version take better advantage of Metal within the mac platform and which would be a better card to use with it, AMD or nvidia ?

I've asked this elsewhere and it's not been answered , so I'll post it here , will the new version take better advantage of Metal within the mac platform and which would be a better card to use with it, AMD or nvidia ?

SHort answer, Nvidia are market leaders.

In theory, the better the card, the better the performance. In practice, AMD driver issues seem to be more common, and due to market share, there are less people using those cards, so less people reporting issues (perhaps that's why they don't always get fixed).

SHort answer, Nvidia are market leaders.

In theory, the better the card, the better the performance. In practice, AMD driver issues seem to be more common, and due to market share, there are less people using those cards, so less people reporting issues (perhaps that's why they don't always get fixed).

Hmm, well thanks for the answer, but this isn't much help as that axiom is not true on the Mac anyway as my 4gb Gtx 970 was slower than a 1gb 5770 which was six years older .

The thing is Tony, the current generation of Nvidia cards aren't mac approved and NV3 wont trouble shoot them ( or at least you would not with my GTX 970 when it performed like a somnambulant sloth on my mac pro :), AMD have mac native drivers and have a boot screen on mac OS. Nvidia make their own drivers which are not that great on the Mac for TANE .When you do your Mac testing do you ever try Nvidia cards out to see if they work ?

Several years ago, you remarked that new versions of TANE would take advantage of Metal which would considerably improve graphics acceleration.do you think that this will happen in Trainz 2019 or not ? i ask as i cannot find anyone on the forums ( or for that matter, anywhere on the internet ) who is using the new generation of AMD or Nvidia cards on mac , i would presume that you would be testing the new mac build with the latest Macs such as an iMac or macbook pro ? if you guys cant answer the question then i doubt that anybody can .

Last edited:
I was on the Rocky Mountaineer a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't get remotely close to the locos so I have no shots of them. To be honest I was enjoying their "Gold Leaf" service much of the time. :hehe:

I did notice the cars were a bit old and had some character but were very clean and shiny. By character I mean some deep scratches and wondered if they were from falling rock.
I'll be doing some QA on the Gold Leaf cars because I thought they would be fun to model. Think internal spiral staircases, dining room and kitchen on the lower level and an outside viewing platform. From memory each car had 3 or 4 attendants and two chefs.

The RM is one thing but the route is the real attraction. It would cool to have some weather that obscures the mountain tops and glaciers with cloud.

And any session needs to have the RM stopped while a freight takes precedence with several hundred boxcars/tankers being pulled by a couple of GP40 (I think) locos, another loco halfway down the consist and a couple more down the back. Those were very long trains!

Good wave to all, my name is Severino and I live in Brazil, well I'm entering this discussion here of the forum, and from what I realized Mr. Tony_Hilliam, would be the gift or director of markenting of the company that develops the right trainz, good I want talk a bit of the trainz, I as trainz user I will be sincere I love the trainz very much, but I will leave here a tips for the developers, I leave this tips as a user and also as a game developer, since I work developing games as well , and would like to receive suggestions to improve my work.
the first question would be to add more languages ​​including the Brazilian idiom, we live in Brazil, not that we do not know how to speak, in English but see well, several friends of mine and users of my forum that has trainz ask me in the forum about the language and if has some possibility to translate to portuguese, forgot to mention that I have a forum also about trainz in Brazil. And another important question and about Brazilian locomotives, why do not you create models let's say Brazilians to trainz the locomotive with truck bb?. Now I will talk about the simulator itself, with this announcement of the trainz 2019, I greatly improved my hope of simulating more with the trainz, with this release I hope to have more realism in the moment of simulation, first you are losing sales with your game, several questions can be improved in this version 2019, are losing sales to the competitor in several points. first create compatibility between the versions of the trainz, second to improve the worlds editor try to make a way that we can do routes based on googlemaps with the api of google itself but just like in Train simulator, and improve the system of insulation of addons this is very boring in content menager, there is always an error, I as a user wanting improvements for all and I leave here these tips and I await answers. and I hope the new version of the trainz 2019. So one question I like to be a beta test would it be possible ?? . thank you
att: severino antonio

Re above, well there are already issues with content in Trainz that uses languages other than English so, while I respect the request for greater localisation, it does not make the sim more user friendly for the majority who speak English as our first (and often only) language. English being the international language of trade and systems such as air traffic control.

Older content. Always a thorny issue but personally I stand by my assertion that at some point N3V need to throw off the shackles of maintaining compatibility for outdated 12 year old content and look to the future.

As regards a Google API. Be careful what you wish for. It recently came to light on Railworks america that Google are now introducing a charge for this data. There will be a free allowance but once that is exceeded the minimum fee will be $200 and they will require you to lodge credit or debit card details with them before continuing to use the feature. It might be some users will never hit this limit but will be a nasty financial surprise for those who do. Using Transdem plus overlaid mapping remains the most cost effective means of getting DEM and mapping data into a potential route.

Well I'm surprised with this news from google, but even if the user reaches this data limits, this is a problem of the user, not the trainz itself, about the language would be interesting to have other language in the game, but we will see who knows of course, about the engine of the new simulator will be even more realistic ?, that I do not think and many leave that much that changes the interface of trainz and paid addons creating by third parties because those that come from the original trainz leaves a lot If I were the CEO of N3V, I make it clear that I play trainz and I'm talking about these things for improvements in the simulator itself, I like the trainz too and leave here these claims for improvements because we deserve this and want the best for the trainz
thank you

Tony, should I ask you if Trainz has built from ground a new sound system and a much more realistic in-game immersion? It would be cool to see actual footage whilst driving, a route with sound from the game. Passing scenes, world editor examples... Well, I can't say that I'm not happy with the editor that comes with Trainz, it's the best thing in the market, step it up guys with some footage because I do wanna go back into this sim, I'm really frustrated with the other payware software available in the market.

Hello there, I would like to insist on my post. As a trainz "driver", what improvements are we getting? We all know more or less about what we're getting for content creators...

Post processing in my opinion would have to be something really optional, if we create decent content (both payware and freeware content creators), there is really no need for such thing, although it improves the game appearance.

@bolea - N3V have indicated on the forum that sound, physics and railway operations come under the category of user "wish lists" not essential elements of a transportation simulation. I'm prepared to be surprised but I wouldn't get your hopes up, mate. After all this is the company that can't take simple steps to prevent spammers polluting their main forum page, doesn't bode well for the actual software product.

@bolea - N3V have indicated on the forum that sound, physics and railway operations come under the category of user "wish lists" not essential elements of a transportation simulation. I'm prepared to be surprised but I wouldn't get your hopes up, mate. After all this is the company that can't take simple steps to prevent spammers polluting their main forum page, doesn't bode well for the actual software product.

Not essentials? You must be jk right? Then, what is a simulator suppose to be? Aren't we suppose to simulate a real train? :eek:

Hello, good evening, in my way of thinking the 2019 trait, you have to be more realistic, our people with the technology that we have available today and the trainz can not evolve it looks like a virtual model, that we will open the mind, the n3v has conditions to create a more realistic simulator equal to or better than train simulato 2018, today I understand why a lot of addons are created for the train simulator example wagons and locomotives, as in the case of rrmods personnel with photo realism system, then That's mine opinion

Congratulations trainman 7616. Our artist must be left-handed

Edited - irrelevant post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back