If You were to go to another Country to ride or chase Trains, which would you go to?

Such a good question from Jordan412 and one where everybody has different ideas and anticipation of the BIG TRIP.
I've been lucky for since about 1988 I have been chasing steam trains to many countries and had a wonderful time with my video cameras. The question is similar to one I have been constantly asked when giving about 50 video lectures on my train travels.
I find that every train journey has its own particular high point and I really cannot say that one particular trip is the best of all.
I was spoilt in my train travels because my very first all steam train trip was across the length of Russia from St Petersburgh to Vladivostok in 2000, a trip that I don't think will ever be available again. For four week, over 50 steam engines and wonderful scenery and great people.
But then Ecuador was great. Riding on top of the coaches over the Devil's Nose was something to be remembered. Across the desert in Jordan and Syria was different and latterly, in 2012, the three week trip around North and South Island in New Zealand was possibly the best organised trip, again with great steam crews who knew how to put on a steam show for the passengers. Then of course the UK. I will be out on Tuesday next chasing a steam train along the Settle to Carlisle line which is repeated every week until about the end of August.
One cannot forget the Jacobite in Scotland a daily feast of high quality steam and scenery.
Last but not least, two trips with 2816 across Western Canada - Calgary to Vancouver and return which included a cab ride westward from Kamloops.
46 countries visited - mostly for steam and I am still expecting more this summer and autumn although I will be 84 next month. The steam bug really does grip a guy so keep rolling because there is always another destination to go to especially if there is a train involved.
Tony

I am proud Scots and still live there (!) but I do feel a wee bit irked at that branch line off the West Highland from Fort William to Mallaig running a dashed train called "The Jacobite." The Jacobites were a bunch of rebels and the majority of Scots living in the Lowlands had no time for them at all. Even the Brit Army that finished them were full of plenty of Scots soldiers. Just shows how names and history can be warped. The kilt of the Highlanders and their music instrument regarded as our national address and a musical thing as both 'national.' The Jacobites even threatened to burn my dear city of Glasgow to the ground as well for supplies! (groan). :eek:

Back