Trainz has a lot of British-isms.

No we do not. There are many differences between the dialects spoken here in Oz and over there in Pommieland (look that one up). There are just as many, if not more, differences between here and the US. Its not just dialect. Your spelling as evidenced by the way the builtin spell checker in my browser rejects the perfectly correctly spelt colour, neighbour, favour, behaviour, and many others, is atrocious. Even your light switches are upside down:D.

When I was in Sydney a few years I was disappointed that I wasn't hearing many people using Australian terms. Sure the odd "Cheers Mate" but not much else. That changed while riding a City bus and a car cut the bus driver off by turning through the bus lane in front of him. The driver let loose with a good 60 seconds of the finest Aussie cursing you can imagine. :D

This thread is so funny :)

I mostly model German stuff, Germany has compound words where several words are joined together to form one long word. "Mammutwörter"

Then of course there are different meanings to words..Tenderlokomotiven are tank locomotives.

Schlepptenderlokomotiven are tender locomotives, literally 'pull tender locos'.

This is my favourite German word
Siebenhundertsiebenundsiebzigtausendsiebenhundertsie-benundsiebzig

Translation? ....... how many hours I seem to have spent on Trainz.

1770 hours? Not that many then! :D Time better spent than watching your Fernsherapparat or working at the local Katzenfutterfabrik! :D (We haven't got a cat-food factory on Trainz - I checked - so there's an opening for a Whiskas builder!)

Indeed - the Railway (Railroad - RR) community are all a pretty friendly bunch, otherwise this thread could have beat Trump and Jong-Un to start WW3! It's good to see a German sense of humour - the rumours to the contrary are clearly untrue.

The rest of the world has to learn American when it comes to computerised spell-checkers, instruction manuals etc - why shouldn't Americans have to learn a bit about their International friends, neighbours and allies languages too? :D

Last edited:
When I was in Sydney a few years I was disappointed that I wasn't hearing many people using Australian terms. ...

It kind of burned out in the 70's after we developed a cultural cringe. Perhaps due to a string of bad, but funny, movies of an Australian living in London (UK). See Barry Mackenzie.
Those films were very politically incorrect. :) Hardly anyone uses that slang anymore except, perhaps for Queenslanders who are a bit odd.

Anyway try "Cooee cobba" (hello), "Ooroo" (goodbye) , and "Fair dinkum, I'm flat out like a lizard drinking" (truthfully, I'm very busy).

For the record, the word "caravan" is a pommee term for a small trailer home. In Oz they are mostly pulled by Toyota Land Cruisers. The owners are invariably grey nomads.

These days we are an international forum and should try and understand the terminology each country uses. Google helps.

p.s. I'm an ex £10 Pom. :hehe:

Thanks, I found several clips on YouTube. Very funny stuff. Now, what exactly is a "drive in bottle shop"?

William

Thanks, I found several clips on YouTube. Very funny stuff. Now, what exactly is a "drive in bottle shop"?

William

It's a building, usually attached to a pub/hotel, where you drive in, stop and buy alcohol for consumption elsewhere. I don't recall seeing any for a while. Maybe the huge discount liquor outlets put them out of business.

Last edited:
It's a building, usually attached to a pub/hotel, where you drive in, stop and buy alcohol for consumption elsewhere. I don't recall seeing any for a while. Maybe the huge discount liquor outlets put them out of business.

They still exist, especially in rural and regional areas, but in the cities and many urban areas they have started to disappear because, as you theorised, they are unable to compete with the larger discount liquor outlets. Increasing restrictions on liquor sales have also made many of the smaller operators, both drive in and walk in, less viable.

Back