Trainz has a lot of British-isms.

Reminds me of the American Nurse who was serving in Britain during WWII. She had to be billeted in a local Inn and the desk clerk asked her if she wanted to be "knocked up" in the morning.

Of course, he mean awakened in the morning, but I found it funny anyway.

I'm not american and not from your generation so I can't read in your minds about that Johnny Cash

The reason we call them 'wagons' is that early railways were pulled by horses and convicts.
Cheers,
Mike

Carriages you mean ?

There is another point of difference. To me "carriages" are "wagons" which "carry" human passengers - like the horse drawn carriages of old. "Wagons" is a broader term for any loco hauled rail vehicle.

That's OK, John. I can make do with my big American 1950's station wagon for local limousine service. I am already using school buses on my route but only for school children. I might check into the church bus for the church on my route. I had those large shuttle buses in mind that are usually based upon a full-size Ford Econoline van with a long and wide body. They look something like a motor home conversion. Narrow cab up front and wide body in back.

I can sympathize with foreign Trainzers too who might not understand the American terms used by American content creators as "truck" instead of "bogey" or "lorry" or "rail car" instead of "wagon", which is pulled by oxen and horses in America, not by locos.

Sometime later:

I downloaded the Church Bus and this vehicle is wrecked. The church people in my town will have to walk, drive or bike to service.

This thread is so funny :)

I mostly model German stuff, Germany has compound words where several words are joined together to form one long word. "Mammutwörter"

Then of course there are different meanings to words..Tenderlokomotiven are tank locomotives.

Schlepptenderlokomotiven are tender locomotives, literally 'pull tender locos'.

This is my favourite German word
Siebenhundertsiebenundsiebzigtausendsiebenhundertsie-benundsiebzig

Translation? ....... how many hours I seem to have spent on Trainz.

... you don't have to be a trump to see the colourful, worldwide humour ... so, thanks Jon, my friend, for the tears of laughs ...
grtz
daveric

Last edited:
Siebenhundertsiebenundsiebzigtausendsiebenhunderts ie-benundsiebzig: seventy-seven and seventy-seven thousand seven hundred and seventy-five

This thread is so funny :)

I mostly model German stuff, Germany has compound words where several words are joined together to form one long word. "Mammutwörter"

Then of course there are different meanings to words..Tenderlokomotiven are tank locomotives.

Schlepptenderlokomotiven are tender locomotives, literally 'pull tender locos'.

This is my favourite German word
Siebenhundertsiebenundsiebzigtausendsiebenhundertsie-benundsiebzig

Translation? ....... how many hours I seem to have spent on Trainz.

Yes! I studied German for a couple of years and ran into some interesting ones. Even today I still read some German and other languages as a Classical pianist.

Here's an interesting non-German "large" word:

demisemihemidemisemiquaver which means 256th note

Well, I found out Rail lingo in Britain is entirely different from US rail lingo, even though regular language is far more similar.

This does create confusion when searching for things in DLS. Example:
Truck (US) = Bogie (UK)
Truck (UK) = Freight car (US)

Then again, what can be done? People name stuff in the language they know. Biological sciences agreed to use standarized latin names for everything, but no such consensus was ever made in the rail world.

Back