What should I do?

MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS

7 Year Trainz Vet
So I got TS12 because it was cheaper then T:ANE and I ended up hating it because of TADDeamon and all the waiting you have to do just to get into the game. Now that T:ANE is basically on an infinite sale should I buy it OR should I wait for Trainz:Next (TS18) to come out? What are your thoughts? I have no idea when it is supposed to come out and they have not given us a release date or another progess update.

It is a bit like the age old problem of buying a new car. Should I get this years model now or wait until next year and get that model instead? If you decide to wait then when next year comes around you are faced with exactly the same question. The result - you never buy a new car.

T:ANE when it first came out was, to put it politely, very "buggy". It generated more complaints than any other new Trainz release. T:ANE SP2 HF3 (the current beta) is infinitely more stable and a far better product than the original.

I suspect that Trainz:Next (2018) will also be buggy on its initial release - there is an old saying "never buy anything labelled version 1.0". As yet, there is no timeline for its release.

So my recommendation, buy T:ANE SP2 HF3 on its release (no timetable yet) and you will get a very good product that is a world apart from TS12. When Trainz:Next (2018) is eventually released you can make a decision about jumping in immediately or waiting until at least one (or two) service packs have been released.

From my own perspective, I will probably be getting the new program when it is released but keeping T:ANE on my system for at least a while.

My opinions only.

I have gotten to like TS12 (I also bought TS10, but never have, and probably will never use TS10) ... I also have T:ANE but have not fired up my 64bit PC in years ... I would probably love T:ANE

Alas, I still use TRS2006 to lay track, and import my TRS2006 routes into TS12 for testing

So TRS2004, TS10 will probably never be used, and are absorbed as a loss, for rashly jumping at versions that are now obsolete

I would advise you to get T:ANE now that it is a bargain, and not buy the Super Dooper Expensive T:ANE version, as all it has is more routes that, you may not even ever run but once or twice

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise! I think I will wait for the new hotfix to come out then get it. I do know that the sale they are doing is kind of indefinite. Of course it isn't for the Platinum edition because it is like over $200 and it will end. I do only want the standard version of the game though.

Keep in mind though that some stuff on the Download Station requires stuff that are included in TANE Deluxe. The creator of the content didn't do this on purpose, just a case of a dependency 'slipping thru the cracks'. This means that if you download something from the DLS and then discover that the missing dependencies are only available if you buy TANE Deluxe, you'll have to buy the routes included in TANE Deluxe, each of them close to the same price as TANE itself. Therefore, I'd go ahead and buy TANE Deluxe instead and not have to spend the extra money on the routes included in the Deluxe edition afterward.

Last edited:
I agree that Deluxe is the better buy as so many people make routes using the assets from it.
It is also better to wait for HF3 as SP2 has heaps of problems, unless you want to risk the betas.
Cheers,
Mike

Unlikely as from what I can see (based on reading various forum threads and articles) there are quite a few changes.

Shane

Keep in mind though that some stuff on the Download Station requires stuff that are included in TANE Deluxe. The creator of the content didn't do this on purpose, just a case of a dependency 'slipping thru the cracks'. This means that if you download something from the DLS and then discover that the missing dependencies are only available if you buy TANE Deluxe, you'll have to buy the routes included in TANE Deluxe, each of them close to the same price as TANE itself. Therefore, I'd go ahead and buy TANE Deluxe instead and not have to spend the extra money on the routes included in the Deluxe edition afterward.

Ah, okay. I will buy the deluxe version then. It is only another $10 which is not terrible. Looking at their progess I think TS18 will be out this summer or maybe fall. That is when T:ANE came out 5 years ago.

It is possible that they will aim for the pre-Christmas market but I would hope that they have taken a big lesson from the mistakes made in the release of TANE and not advertise a firm release date well beforehand. Last time they discovered last minute glitches that kept putting back the release date and those delays resulted in howls of protest from some sections of the Trainz community. In the end, it is rumoured, contractual obligations with a distributor forced them to release the product when it clearly was still not ready.

This time, so far, they have kept the release plans much quieter and a great deal vaguer. A good thing too in my opinion.

Exactly what I was thinking. I just guesstimated that it would be around then however the release of T:ANE was rushed. I really wouldn't mind if it was later at all so they could get the game fully completed unlike T:ANE.

Back