Advice on new PC

Jburnitt12

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at buying a new PC to run trainz 12 on. Here are the specs of the PC I'm looking at.:

I3 3.9ghz processor
Nvida gtx 1050ti graphics card
8GB of RAM
Running windows 10

Will this PC happily run trainz 12 with a decent frame rate?

Thanks in advance

Jack

Jack,

You should have no problems with TS12 on that machine. You may want to double your RAM to 16GB if you can. That will future-proof you if you ever decide to upgrade to T:ANE, besides with Windows 10 being a 64-bit operating system, the extra memory means you can run other applications at the same time such as Google Earth and TS12 since both will have their own memory space. 32-bit applications such as TS12 and Google Earth will only see up to 4GB max of RAM, but having the extra memory means the OS has extra room too.

I hope this wasn't too complex an explanation. Explaining geeky stuff can get that way.

John,

That's the answer I wanted to hear. That explanation was perfect.

I'm now fairly certain that's the machine I'm going to be getting. I wanted to get some reassurance from the community, so I knew that I was spending money on the right system.

Many thanks for your help

Jack

Possibly... I suspect that you may need to keep the detail level medium and draw distance about 3000 m. to achieve a good frame rate (30+)

I'm using an iI-5 4670K at 3.40 GHz.
I also use a NVidia GTX 770 4Mb (slightly overclocked).

Both TS 12 and Tane use the graphics card hard...

You'll benefit from better than standard cooling for both (I have the CPU water cooled and the GPU is one with an additional fan over the reference model). I'd pay particular attention to the version of the NVidia card - although the card is the same, some have better cooling/overclocking capabilities.

Make sure that the power supply is capable of running CPU, GPU flat out (many "home office" machines tend to be built for MS Office use where the CPU and GPU are not operating at 70%+ for extended periods).

Likewise, make sure that the PC Case has sufficient cooling - changing the case on an old PC dropped the CPU temperature by some 10C.

The other addin that (I'm told) will help is putting the program on a SSD - there's wuite a lot of disc access, so speeding this up will help.

Colin

Colin,

I'm told the 1050ti 4gb card is a reasonably good card. The cooling system is a fan method. The computer I'm looking at, is a gaming PC so I don't believe there will be any power issues.

I have been suggested the SSD idea as well. I will need to do a little research into this way of doing it.

Thank you for your advice

Jack,

Typically i3s are dual core i5s are quad core. An i5 might be more future proof. I'm running an GTX 1050 ti at the moment on one machine a refurbished Dell. Works fine but doesn't handle big complex layouts and some of the higher detail stuff quite as well as the GTX 980 but on simple stuff there is little to choose between them.

If you can hold off I suggest holding off until September time frame. Currently the bit miners have doubled the price of graphics cards from a year a ago. The expectation is by September the prices will be back down to more normal pricing.

I get better frame rates with TANE than TS12 with the GTX 980 using the same layout and stock and viewing distances. I haven't tried the GTX 1050 ti with TS12.

My suggestion would be buy the biggest ugliest GPU you can afford after somehow getting your hands on an i5 CPU. If you decide to go refurbished Dell or HP check the case size and power supply. Bigger cases fit GPUs more easily.

Cheerio John

My desktop PC is running OK one minute ... then hours and hours later ... I am in the TS12 CM, committing assets ... suddenly the mouse, KB, and everything freeze's up ... completely frozen ... Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing ... can't shut down, nor re-start ... unless I force the PC to shut down, by pushing the PC Power Off button, or pull out the 110V AC Plug ... there is no way to escape the total PC freeze up ... I have run scans for virus ... uninstalled mouse & keyboard ... re-installed mouse & keyboard ... I am beginning to think it is because I am online, and a hacker is remotely locking up my PC ... or that the hard drive is locking up, stalling completely ... or that the video card is failing ... I can't understand why my PC just locks up, completely, and will not recover by sitting awhile ... aside from a hard forced shut down by turning it off, then turning it on again after @ 2 min (as I heard that a HD continues to free spin for several minutes, as it is spinning at 7200 rpm, and takes a while to stop spinning)

Windows7, 64bit, HP m8100n, GT430 video card (because that is all a 300 Watt power supply will power), 1TB hard drive, 8GB RAM, PC Disk space is not full at all

Defragged & Optimized Hard Drive

It runs 06, TS12, and T:ANE very well (surprisingly) ... It might even run TS19 ???

Last edited:
It will run TS19 better than T:ANE. That is my experience with this. I'd also suggest, to boost it a smidge more, trying Windows 10. That video card sounds kind of old.

That video card sounds kind of old.
Kind of, you think so ? :hehe: A GT430 is really weak ! I bought the PC in 2007 ... paid $600 to repair it a bunch of years ago, video card was bought at BestBuy (on the shelf) years and years ago for $149 (online it is $49) ... RAM was upgraded @ 2 years ago

TS12 is a 32-bit program and cannot address more RAM than about ~4Gb, so 16Gb is overkill if that is all you intend to run on this rig.
Nevertheless, any Windows computer these days should really have at least 8Gb, preferably 16Gb, to allow for effortless multitasking and memory overhead.
With an i5, GTX 1050Ti and 8 to 16Gb RAM, your rig would be quite capable of running 64-bit programs like T:ANE and TRS19.

Last edited:
I have Sinclair Spectrum 128k. Will it run Trainz? Or should I use my common sense and buy the best possible spec computer that I can afford within my budget? It's so problematic, I'm pulling my finger nails out!

Rob.

Last edited:
I have Sinclair Spectrum 128k. Will it run Trainz? Or should I use my common sense and buy the best possible spec computer that I can afford within my budget? It's so problematic, I'm pulling my finger nails out!

Rob.

TANE runs on X86 instruction set so unfortunately it will not run on a Sinclair Spectrum 128k it also needs directx 12 support which the Sinclair unfortunately doesn't support.

Pick the right content and you'll be surprised what TANE will run on.

Cheerio John

Back