Looking for optimum settings for laptop

Forester1

Hi! I have been running TANE SP2, build 90945 (thinking of going for the new beta) for over a year on the following hardware. I know it is nothing to brag about, and I know I can only expect so much, but I have tried various settings and am looking for opinions on what might be optimal.

Samsung Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (It's been around awhile....)
6 GB RAM
64bit
Intel HD Graphics 3000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
Windows 10 Home Edition (updated from Win 7), Fall Creator's Edition

I know it is dated, and hope to upgrade to a gamer desktop, but for now, this is it. It really isn't bad, but if I get the settings off I can run TUME's Winter session with the track just barely appearing in front of the windshield in the virgin snow, or floating trees in the air instead of the inside of the tunnels.

So please feel free to comment on how you would adjust the "Trainz Settings" in the Launch Window, as well as the settings available in the game menus, in order to get the best of what is possible and to be expected.

Thanks in advance! Much appreciated! It may not be a Ferrari , but I love Trainz even on a Volkswagon Beetle!

Here are the settings that I would suggest might work fairly well on such a low-powered rig:

Use full screen mode (not windowed) at the default resolution and refresh rate frequency of your monitor.
Run only one monitor.
Set Vertical Sync to Half.
Set Maximum Draw Distance to ~2500 to~3000m (Main Menu Settings under Video Settings tab).
Untick Override Draw Distance Cap

And with the following Trainz Settings (Performance tab) options:

perfsettings.jpg

Note the explanation for some of these performance items here to make trade-offs according to visual quality vs performance.
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Video_Settings

Experiment. Change one setting at a time and use the same familiar test session scenario to view the differences made.
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers! PC.

Intel HD Graphics 3000 does not support Directx 11 which you need for TANE.

Middleton for laptops will run on a low end machine but needs 4000 series not 3000.

Cheerio John

Apols I missed the GPU. Basically select the content carefully. Use open preview in content manager to check the impact. Note it doesn't indicate where content shares things so wagons that share bogies etc will have lower impact if you use more than one. Anything with 17_5 of mine is designed to run on low end machines. The track has a big impact MP track wood v2 is low impact. Boats and barges have no moving wheels so are lower impact and invisible track helps as well.

Cheerio John

In main menu settings video settings set the view distance down to the minimum that way fewer assets will be rendered at a distance. You can also experiment with the other settings keeping them down to the left. On the splash screen under the developer tab is show profiler, this is a separate windows tab so you may need to <Alt><tab> to show it but it will give you some idea of what is happening. Generally speaking 20 fps plus is liveable with.

Cheerio John

Thanks a million for the tips John, and PC_Ace. I am going to give all these suggestions a good testing out (Hey, it's TRAINZ, it can only be fun! :O) )
Your responses are greatly appreciated!

Back