JR reskin distribution policy and other questions...

jamiethomas81

I certainly hope that this does not cause some sort of unnecessary flame war or drama, but I was wondering about Jointedrail's payware / freeware reskin policy. What is allowed and what is not? I have purchased a lot of payware from JR and downloaded everything I was interested in (which is a lot of stuff). Simply put, if I were to reskin, say, the freeware hoppers (PS-3 2 bay hoppers, 3 bay 100t hoppers) or payware locos (B&O SD9 to Chessie System, or modify my existing Chessie System GP40-2ph1 to a more specific unit) but ONLY give away the textures so others that have these same freeware or payware products could enjoy them? I am glad that since I have been reskinning items that so many people have already asked if I would give them out but I have to clear this up first so I don't violate anyone's EULA. Thank you for any help with this!

-Rich

You can do what ever you want for the reskin without authorization if it's payware and freeware as long as it keeps private just for you but if you want to distribute the reskin based on a payware asset it's dead but if it's freeware ask the original author

In general, it is frowned upon to reskin or modify assets that someone else made and then release them as your own without giving the original creator credit. For freeware, usually you just ask the original creator and it’s not much of an issue, but respect the creators wishes. For payware, it’s flat-out illegal to modify an asset and then send it out. You’re more than welcome to modify assets as long as they are for your own private use.

I assumed it would be illegal to redistribute payware...I certainly wouldn't EVER send an actual 3d asset from any game if it was payware. Alot of times though, you are allowed to reskin items and ONLY share the skins themselves (which would be useless unless someone bought the original payware in question). Freeware on the other hand, well, I would never think to share some freeware without asking the original author or giving him credit. Just wanted to make sure was all. I'd like to see these reskins of items I've done be enjoyed by others but I want to make sure its ok to put them on the DLS or someone's website...I don't have my own. All of the work in question seems to be Jointedrail freeware which is why I'm asking here.

-Rich

Back