Using Priority to choose track / changing train priority

David2de

I wonder if anyone has some advice for me. The goal is simple: make the AI drive on the right-hand track of a double main.

I have a single track going into a double track main. I've set different priorities on each track, like this:

Priority 1
------------------------------ [Train starts here]
-------------/
Priority 2

If I manually set a train's priority to 1, it will take the right-hand track. But if I change the train's priority with a command or trackside object, it still takes the priority 2 track, even though when viewing the train's properties, it reads priority 1. What I'd like to do is set up a portal to emit trains with the priority set to follow the correct track. I've tried using the following items to set the priority.

• <kuid2:151055:100119:2> AI Set Priority
  • <kuid2:334624:1078:1> TH R Set Priority
  • <kuid2:645812:100106:6> Update max speed and priority
  • <kuid2:236443:102725:1> z7_Priority

I change the priority between 2 junctions when using "Update max speed and priority" since I remember reading somewhere that might have an effect.

Other options I've considered to guide the AI:

1. Track direction markers - this works but causes signals on the left-hand track to always show red, even when the track is clear. A train may need to use the left-hand track to reach an industry. I verified this on a simple test route.
  2. Track Marks and Track Mark List - I'm sure this will work, but if I extend the layout, I'll need to redo the trackmark naming for the track mark list.
  3. Use Named Mile Markers - as suggested here: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...d-AI-direction-markers-to-model-railroad-maps

Any other thoughts? To me, using priority would seem to be the best option if I get it to work.

This is in T:ANE SP2.

Thanks,

Dave

I must be missing something because I'm sure you've considered...

B=====================A=============================== <---- train
.....................\=================Industry===========/

Drive Via TM A
Drive To TM B
-or-
Drive To Industry
Drive To TM B

No "Trackmark List" , just one added TM.

Hi.

As you ask for other thoughts ... you can also use Enhanced Interlocking Towers and Mission Code Manager to route an AI train to the left or the right track when you have dual possible track.
You need first to configure two paths in an iT : one using the left track and one using the right track. You then need to configure two mission codes in MCM rule and set only the left path eligible for the first mission code and only the right path eligible for the second path.
And now if you assign the first mission code to a train it will use only the left path and if you assign the second mission code it will use the right path ...
May seems complicated for people not having already used ITs and MCM, but sure it will works fine and not so complicated to configure when you have learned how to use ITs and MCM ...

that was my contribution to other thoughts ...

Regards.
Pierre.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. What is happening is that when there is a a crossover between the 2 track main, or a single track splits to a double track, the AI will sometime decide to cross over to the left-hand track. To prevent that, I was hoping to set the track priority after each crossover.

Track 1
===========\/=========\/=========
===========/\=========/\=========
Track 2

Direction of travel -------->

For example a train running left to right on Track 2 will sometimes decide to cross over to Track 1, even though it's eventual destination is on Track 2. Your suggestion will absolutely work, it will just require setting up a dozen or more track marks (after each crossover) and setting the track mark list for each AI train to keep the AI on the correct track. I was hoping to avoid that :-(

Thanks for answering!

Dave

Hi.

As you ask for other thoughts ... you can also use Enhanced Interlocking Towers and Mission Code Manager to route an AI train to the left or the right track when you have dual possible track.
You need first to configure two paths in an iT : one using the left track and one using the right track. You then need to configure two mission codes in MCM rule and set only the left path eligible for the first mission code and only the right path eligible for the second path.
And now if you assign the first mission code to a train it will use only the left path and if you assign the second mission code it will use the right path ...
May seems complicated for people not having already used ITs and MCM, but sure it will works fine and not so complicated to configure when you have learned how to use ITs and MCM ...

that was my contribution to other thoughts ...

Regards.
Pierre.

We must have posted at the same time so I missed yours when I responded before. I have not used ITs / MCMs but this sounds very interesting! I've watched a video on ITs so I think I get the concept. This makes sense to me - thanks for helping me expand my thinking.

Dave

We must have posted at the same time so I missed yours when I responded before. I have not used ITs / MCMs but this sounds very interesting! I've watched a video on ITs so I think I get the concept. This makes sense to me - thanks for helping me expand my thinking.

Dave
Once you get the hang of how this system works you will love it. It literally makes trainz take the rails YOU program it to. I personally pair this with the Autodrive command and have yet to run into an operational issue.

I've just set up portals on each end of the route and am about to program the ITs. I've already added one to guide the AI to the right track and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the help!!!

Back