Portal Manipulation

valbridge

Rail Tragic
Wondering if it is possible for the following...
Using portals. whilst I notice portals can configure trains to exit at desired intervals, [default being 15mins] is it possible to time train exit at varying intervals. As an example...

Portal spawning consists to a Terminal station. Between the points there are a few stations en route to terminus. First train [lets call it train A] will be a stopping service between these points. Next train [lets call that train B] is a fast service to the terminus.

Assuming we wish to spawn train A every 15 minutes but train B every 30 mins. Is there a way this can be achieved. At present I can only see that the spawn interval for both train A and B is identical. Perhaps there is a rule I am not aware of that accomplishes this. Even the Central Portal Control does not offer varying times between trains that I can see.

Help appreciated, if a solution is available.

Cheers,
Val.

Wondering if it is possible for the following...
Using portals. whilst I notice portals can configure trains to exit at desired intervals, [default being 15mins] is it possible to time train exit at varying intervals. As an example...

Portal spawning consists to a Terminal station. Between the points there are a few stations en route to terminus. First train [lets call it train A] will be a stopping service between these points. Next train [lets call that train B] is a fast service to the terminus.

Assuming we wish to spawn train A every 15 minutes but train B every 30 mins. Is there a way this can be achieved. At present I can only see that the spawn interval for both train A and B is identical. Perhaps there is a rule I am not aware of that accomplishes this. Even the Central Portal Control does not offer varying times between trains that I can see.

Help appreciated, if a solution is available.

Cheers,
Val.

ecco beat me to it.
But yes, using two or three portals with designated spawn times which merge into the main or thru-line, can do the trick.

Cheers mate,
Roy

Man thanks ecco and Roy for such a swift response.
Yes, that solution had occurred to me but wondered if anyone had made a portal that accommodates the idea. Easier said than done no doubt.

Many thanks,
Val.

I now have a Down Fast and a Down Slow ;)

Hi Val

The way that I got round this originally was to have the train appear from the portal and then use a "Wait For Random" command to delay it. This allows a limited amount of variation to be built into the session. Now I also add in Pierre Guy's Mission Code and Timetabling rules combined with Enhanced Interlocking Towers.

Regards

Brian

Hi Val

The way that I got round this originally was to have the train appear from the portal and then use a "Wait For Random" command to delay it. This allows a limited amount of variation to be built into the session. Now I also add in Pierre Guy's Mission Code and Timetabling rules combined with Enhanced Interlocking Towers.

Regards

Brian

Now that sounds really interesting Brian.
I am not quite up to your level in configuring sessions in this manner but surely will look into it. Pguy has some useful assets created and I like his imagination at creating. Have not quite mastered IT as yet, but still developing the skill to overcome the many frustrations I have endured at attempting. Slowly getting there.
The idea of using 'wait for random' is something I have not tried yet. I can see a use for this rule in the session I am making.

Thanks for the tips.
Val.

Hi Val.

You have a much more simple way to obtain the result expected : use my rule Quick Portal Manager Standard Édition. This rule enables to link to a portal a timetable with several entries where for each entry you set a time for the train emition, if it a only once emition or a recurrent emition (every xx minutes), the consist to emit, the schedule order bar, ...

With two entries linked to your target portal you should be able to set your recurrent emition for both train A and train B.

The only thing you need to take care is to have distinct time of emition for your two entries, as the rule looks every 15 seconds if there are some entries to process for a portal, but will process only the first one found if several entries are eligible.
Sorry, but I don’t think there is already any help file on the wiki, but if you have any problem with the parameters to use let me know either on the forum or by PM and I will give you the explanations needed.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
pierre.

Hi Val.

You have a much more simple way to obtain the result expected : use my rule Quick Portal Manager Standard Édition. This rule enables to link to a portal a timetable with several entries where for each entry you set a time for the train emition, if it a only once emition or a recurrent emition (every xx minutes), the consist to emit, the schedule order bar, ...

With two entries linked to your target portal you should be able to set your recurrent emition for both train A and train B.

The only thing you need to take care is to have distinct time of emition for your two entries, as the rule looks every 15 seconds if there are some entries to process for a portal, but will process only the first one found if several entries are eligible.
Sorry, but I don’t think there is already any help file on the wiki, but if you have any problem with the parameters to use let me know either on the forum or by PM and I will give you the explanations needed.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
pierre.

Cheers Pierre, will give it a go and see how I do before troubling you. Seems now the Schedule Rule has stopped working so submitted a bug report on it. Just cannot change the default time from 10:00:00 to anything else. Never happened before and am using the new beta version.

It doesn't rain it pours huh.
Regards
Val.

. . .
. . .

Finaly I was wrong : I have written a short documentation on Quick Portal Manager, that is available in the wiki at the following address :

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Quick_Portal_Manager

this should help configuring the rule.

regards.
Pierre.

Cheers Pierre, will give it a go and see how I do before troubling you. Seems now the Schedule Rule has stopped working so submitted a bug report on it. Just cannot change the default time from 10:00:00 to anything else. Never happened before and am using the new beta version.

It doesn't rain it pours huh.
Regards
Val.

The Schedule Rule fix is in the works...

:B~)

However, the original poster's question does pose a challenge for those with scripting skills--a version of Portal Basic or other standard portal that also offered the option to emit trains at a random interval between parameters set by the user (such as Emit a train at intervals between 6 and 17 minutes, etc.). I've also used the multiple portal trick to create a certain amount of "randomization," but when you get down to it the actual intervals between trains will still be predictable, just a bit more complex.

--Lamont

However, the original poster's question does pose a challenge for those with scripting skills--a version of Portal Basic or other standard portal that also offered the option to emit trains at a random interval between parameters set by the user (such as Emit a train at intervals between 6 and 17 minutes, etc.). I've also used the multiple portal trick to create a certain amount of "randomization," but when you get down to it the actual intervals between trains will still be predictable, just a bit more complex.

--Lamont

I agree, its fine to have two portals working different entry times, but still restricted to a portal time and not a consist time. I am constructing a fairy busy line from London to four different destinations. It would be ideal to have one portal that could accommodate individual consists their own unique emit time. I am not a scripter so have no idea how difficult/simple this would be. I have yet to try pguy's suggestion and am hoping it may be the solution.

Val...

I've also used the multiple portal trick to create a certain amount of "randomization," but when you get down to it the actual intervals between trains will still be predictable, just a bit more complex.

--Lamont

After your train is emitted give one or more Rand Wait Commands for more unpredictability.

After your train is emitted give one or more Rand Wait Commands for more unpredictability.

Yes, I saw that suggestion earlier in this thread (I assume you mean the WaitForRandom command). Unfortunately it's a TRS2006 asset, and who knows how much longer it will continue to work with all of the continuing changes in the underlying engine, not to mention adding an additional bit of complexity to each schedule? Of course, the same could be said of almost any asset...

--Lamont

Back