Now to go back in time... NYC and New Haven Electric operations in 1961

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
https://archive.org/details/6358_HM_NY_Central_and_NYNHH_Electric_Operations_July_1961_01_00_54_11

Heck I was only a couple of months old when this footage was taken. Way cool equipment! It's too bad these are all gone today. It would be nice to be able to go back and watch this all firsthand. I remember seeing these trains a bit later when my dad would take us on vacation to visit his grandmother up in Poughkeepsie. We would visit his aunt and uncle in the Queens first then head up to Hopewell Jct. where great grandma had her summer cottage.

In the first part of the video note the electrics are running with their pantographs down due to running on third-rail into the Park Avenue Tunnel to Grand Central.

Hey Paul (pweiser), take a look at this! :D

The classic days of railroading. :) I truly think that despite the modern innovations, railroading has more or less lost its charm. Sure, there is still beauty today, but not as much as it used to be when there were hundreds of common carriers behind a lot of equipment from steam to diesel to electric.

The classic days of railroading. :) I truly think that despite the modern innovations, railroading has more or less lost its charm. Sure, there is still beauty today, but not as much as it used to be when there were hundreds of common carriers behind a lot of equipment from steam to diesel to electric.

I agree! There really was something special about this. The color schemes, the style and designs which were unique to the railroads, and so much else.

Thank you for posting this footage! Do you know the original creator? I reckon if this is just an extract you could make a full-length documentary from this.

I rarely see colour photos of the EP-3s, EP-4s etc let alone film footage!

Thank you for posting this footage! Do you know the original creator? I reckon if this is just an extract you could make a full-length documentary from this.

I rarely see colour photos of the EP-3s, EP-4s etc let alone film footage!

I remember the EPs in color. :)

The videos are part of the Prelinger Archives of old home movies.

Back