Searching for a Missouri/Mississippi River Scene

ledzeppelinfan1

...or a St Louis downtown scene or anything like that.

Is there anything on the DLS that has a segment where there is a city river scene that anyone could tip me off to?

Freeware only please.

I recommend creating the city yourself. You don't need everything you know and only render the part you can see. Google Earth and Bing Maps is really helpful for stuff like this. But if you are interested in a city, you can use the Jay Street Connecting Railroad as a module and then build up around it, which I did in my city shown below (right side).

I remember seeing at one point a riverfront billboard which had docks in front and a city in the background. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it might give you something to go with.

Ben Dorsey (RIP) made the St. Louis passenger terminal and I think the big bridge across the river to the downtown proper. As far as the other assets, well outside of the arch and specific towers, the buildings are pretty typical Midwestern brick structures. Dave Snow (davesnow), Dave Drake (dmdrake), and many other creates made buildings which would suit this. Both Daves made city blocks. Look for Storefronts by davesnow, and Cityscapes by dmdrake. I will caution you though on the Sketch-up models extracted from Google Earth. They really, really can be a frame rate killer so use them in moderation.

Here's a city I created for my own route (not for sharing).

AsXgoxy.jpg

c3Gkxm7.jpg

Good info. In your opinion, what has the best metropolitan area you've seen modeled in Trainz? Is there something that stands out?

There's a few.

The old Municipal Transit Co. route from TS2009 - TS12 days. It's well done, though some things are not quite how I would do them, and I've since started rebuilding it to my standards.

The RTA - Redbird Transit Authority.

The mentioned Jay Street Connecting.

And then my own routes.

PS your city looks bad ass

Thanks! This took me a few tries to get right, but once I got things worked out, everything fell together. This part of the route is a rebuild of something I first started in TRS2006. There are earlier parts built in TRS2004 in December 2003/January 2004 and merged in as well. I laughed quite loudly at myself when I saw how awful my trackwork was back then. I had some nice ideas though and after some clean up, things merged in very nicely. There's still more than a few things which need smoothing out still such as the hills and grades, which need some toning down a bit.

Back