Fed up with Trainz?

I used to play regularly on TR12 , since TANE I slowly lost interest and now I am waiting for the old fantastic routes like Northbay County etc. to appear in TANE . I also fed up because I can't edit sessions like I want to even though I paid for them. Many of the assets have problems in TANE ..perhaps I will be happy again one day when they are fixed. Some of them I managed to fix without breaking my head...
My opinion.

Sorry, it's not the splash screen. It's the Route Selection screen. I've had it up for over ten minutes now. Nothing visually changes. There is only the occasional sound of a loco. GPU usage is averaging over 90%.

I have just run the same test. In the Route Selection, and Session Selection screens my NVidea 750ti card was running at about 28% with the CPU running at about 2.5%. Running one of my most graphics intensive routes the GPU hit 100%.

If you are considering getting one of the latest NVideo cards, say either a 1060, 1070, or 1080 or Ti's, then first measure how much room you have in your existing case.
It's not just the width of the case - it's also the layout of the motherboard.

The area where these cards extend over the motherboard must not have components that come above the level of the socket base, and this space must be available for the full width of the card, as well as the length. A common problem is SATA (hard drive) connector headers, but other connectors such as power supply, or components such as capacitors, can cause clearance problems.

So the question remains. What is taxing the GPU at 28% when just the Session Selection screen is visible and unmoving?

So the question remains. What is taxing the GPU at 28% when just the Session Selection screen is visible and unmoving?

One possibility, as pointed out in an earlier post in this thread, is that TANE is offloading some (much?) of its tasks onto the GPU to free the CPU from graphics related tasks. This has become a common feature of modern software design.

Having played with the Trainz product since the UTC era days not all assets are backward compatible.
For example remember the problems with rail bridges that worked in earlier versions of Trainz and not in TS12.
Well they eventually got patched up by the authors and/or Trainz team members.
The PEV tools (especially the AssetX program) in the past and the present been very useful for patching up assets downloaded from the DLS.
One thing to remember is that when uploading assets (layouts or sessions) to the download station make sure that they work with the online version dependencies.

ecco: So the question remains. What is taxing the GPU at 28% when just the Session Selection screen is visible and unmoving?

One possibility, as pointed out in an earlier post in this thread, is that TANE is offloading some (much?) of its tasks onto the GPU to free the CPU from graphics related tasks. This has become a common feature of modern software design.
What tasks could it be offloading when "just the Session Selection screen is visible and unmoving"? I've let it sit for over ten minutes - doing nothing - and still showing 90% GPU usage (28% on yours).

CPU offloading to GPU is done on a moment by moment basis, not ten minutes ahead of time.

ecco: So the question remains. What is taxing the GPU at 28% when just the Session Selection screen is visible and unmoving?

What tasks could it be offloading when "just the Session Selection screen is visible and unmoving"? I've let it sit for over ten minutes - doing nothing - and still showing 90% GPU usage (28% on yours).

CPU offloading to GPU is done on a moment by moment basis, not ten minutes ahead of time.

You might be able to get an inkling, albeit a tiny one, by clicking on Developer menu item then click on Show Logs on the Launcher before starting T:ANE.

In order to see both the program load plus the logs, you will have to run T:ANE in a window unless you have a second display connected.

What this will do is show the assets that are being loaded up from disk as the program is running including textures being decompressed.

Now if you are using a less powerful GPU, such as a CPU/GPU combo - AMD APU or the Intel integrated graphics on Intel processors, you will be fighting for resources because these do use a big chunk of system RAM instead of separate dedicated video RAM for textures.

Trainz folks why not do a Control, Alt, Delete and bring up and start Windows Task Manager.
Click on the tab: Performance and let run in the background. (Also click on the Resource Monitor program).
Run your Trainz Simulator copy and then run a layout and session with lots of AI drivers.
Whilst Trainz is running every so often hit the windows button on the keyboard and monitor the CPU power levels, memory allocation used.
Good for checking your computers performance capabilities and any memory leakage problems.

Most obvious is to close down other programs running in the background, like word, etc.
This would free up CPU and GPU resources and make more available for your Trainz Simulator game.
The computer GPU is going to run a lot cooler when freeing up other unused resources.

Trainz folks why not do a Control, Alt, Delete and bring up and start Windows Task Manager.
Click on the tab: Performance and let run in the background. (Also click on the Resource Monitor program).
Run your Trainz Simulator copy and then run a layout and session with lots of AI drivers.
Whilst Trainz is running every so often hit the windows button on the keyboard and monitor the CPU power levels, memory allocation used.
Good for checking your computers performance capabilities and any memory leakage problems.

Most obvious is to close down other programs running in the background, like word, etc.
This would free up CPU and GPU resources and make more available for your Trainz Simulator game.
The computer GPU is going to run a lot cooler when freeing up other unused resources.

Probably because the task manager has a performance hit. Perfmon is better with a lower hit.

Cheerio John

I converted three routes from my copy of TS12 to work in T:ANE, even going as far as to fix up the built-in N&W route for my personal enjoyment. Little to no errors running the Strasburg, Appalachian Coal, and the Timber Ridge Line in A New Era.

You might be able to get an inkling, albeit a tiny one, by clicking on Developer menu item then click on Show Logs on the Launcher before starting T:ANE.

In order to see both the program load plus the logs, you will have to run T:ANE in a window unless you have a second display connected.

What this will do is show the assets that are being loaded up from disk as the program is running including textures being decompressed.

Now if you are using a less powerful GPU, such as a CPU/GPU combo - AMD APU or the Intel integrated graphics on Intel processors, you will be fighting for resources because these do use a big chunk of system RAM instead of separate dedicated video RAM for textures.
Thanks for the info. I tried it...
D4prSjx.jpg
[/IMG]

Sitting at the Route Selection screen (for several minutes). Nothing has been added to the log. Nothing is being added to the log. Nothing is happening.

My GPU is over 90%. My CPU is at 20%.

So, how, why, for what, is Trainz/TANE chewing up resources while it is doing nothing?

I realise this is waaaay too late to put in a bug report for 2009, but here goes.

Years ago I uploaded a route called Woodlands, my first major one for 2009. Just recently I decided to give it a run just for fun. I ran it three times and twice it shut the computer down. :confused: Third it carried on.

The cause? I was following a particular loco at an external view facing the loco and when it hit a particular piece of track, (bang) the computer shut off. Third time I reversed the view to behind the loco and kept an eye on the running. This time, it carried on past the fault zone and kept going. :)

Specs? Win7 64-bit. 2009 SP3. NVidia (750) graphics card. AMD 8-core.

I realise this is waaaay too late to put in a bug report for 2009, but here goes. :)

Personally, I think you have a better chance of winning lotto, rather than being able to talk N3V into fixing a bug in TS2009. (That horse bolted years ago)!!!

Good luck with your lotto ticket...

Cheers, Mac.

Last edited:
I realise this is waaaay too late to put in a bug report for 2009, but here goes.

Years ago I uploaded a route called Woodlands, my first major one for 2009. Just recently I decided to give it a run just for fun. I ran it three times and twice it shut the computer down. :confused: Third it carried on.

The cause? I was following a particular loco at an external view facing the loco and when it hit a particular piece of track, (bang) the computer shut off. Third time I reversed the view to behind the loco and kept an eye on the running. This time, it carried on past the fault zone and kept going. :)

Specs? Win7 64-bit. 2009 SP3. NVidia (750) graphics card. AMD 8-core.

Yeah winning a lotto might be a bit easier, but I have an inkling what might be wrong.

You've got some corrupted content in the vicinity of this bridge. This would explain why you can look away and not crash. I actually had this problem with TS12 as well due to a corrupted Speed Tree. I would get to a particular point on my rather large route and low and behold the performance would sink to 2 FPS, but once I passed that spot things would speed up again to 20-30 fps, which was actually good for that route. Eventually I had other issues in the same area with some crashes just as you've experienced, but mostly the awful slow down to slide show speeds.

It proved difficult finding the errant asset because if I just glanced in the vicinity in Surveyor, I would end up at the desktop! I just about gave up until T:ANE came along and I needed to change the trees to something else in order to import the route. As I was replacing the multitudes of trees, selecting a few at a time, and changing them out, I had one that kept blinking in and out on me, and it's a good thing I saved beforehand because I found myself at the desktop. The good news is I was able to get the info on that tree and got the name, and was able to delete it in Content Manager and reinstall it from backups because it was an old Pofig tree. Viola, route fixed in TS12 and I went on to import it into T:ANE.

The TS2009 layout from the DLS, - 'A Moment in Time', - had a couple of crash black spots like that and it wasn't until I completely demolished (deleted) a thickly built up area of houses, factories and industries that the problem went away. It did involve some sneaky mouse work though and saving as I went because one look in the wrong direction and it was all over.

Back