What is the primary cause of RR abandonment in America?

JonMyrlennBailey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unoph3K-QJw

Note these locomotives just left to rust out in the middle of a southern California desert in the video link above.

Why do American railroads just leave rolling stock out in the middle of nowhere instead of just sending it to the scrap yard?

Sometimes when railroads abandon lines they just leave the track to rust as well.

Should there be environmental laws that forbid railroads to abandon equipment to protect the value of the landscape?

Should railroads be held liable to clean up abandoned or wrecked equipment?

There is historic train wreckage still in the Eel River in northern California from the 1950's.

Railroads should at least be accountable for wreckage or litter generated by them on lands outside their own private right-of-way.

Are there countries in this world that are strict about railroad abandonment due to environmental or beatification considerations?

How is such littering the land with old defunct trains or track tolerated in Europe, Britain or Oceania?

Last edited:
Why do American railroads just leave rolling stock out in the middle of nowhere instead of just sending it to the scrap yard?

They don't leave anything that can be making money at the time sitting. Anything else you see is usually storage and not abandonment.

Should there be environmental laws that forbid railroads to abandon equipment to protect the value of the landscape? Should railroads be held liable to clean up abandoned or wrecked equipment?

Generally I would say no. There is no need for more laws that just gum up the works. There are already laws on abandonment and landscape. Any time a railroad wants to abandon a line it has to go through a legal process. It would be a stretch to say that the railroads can just leave anything they want abandoned. A lot of times property may be turned over to the state or local governments for other purposes if the abandonment proceedings go through.

If the railroad wants to store unused equipment it is typically done in remote areas to avoid marring someone's ideal landscape view, but there are some outlying cases. Just remember, it's their equipment on their tracks so no laws are broken there.

There is historic train wreckage still in the Eel River in northern California from the 1950's.

Railroads should at least be accountable for wreckage or litter generated by them on lands outside their own private right-of-way.

It is probably not outside of their owned right-of-way and probably was too expensive/dangerous to try and remove. Sometimes this happens.

How is such littering the land with old defunct trains or track tolerated in Europe, Britain or Oceania?

The railroads are probably owned by the government anyway, a case not true in North America.

In regards to the video, those items are railroad property on the railroad's property so there isn't much that can be done. The railroad itself is barred from operation iirc, stemming from poor management and some other factors - look it up it is a good read.

To answer the title of the thread: either the line becomes unmanageable and operates at a loss, or other more efficient lines render it redundant (mergers for example).

Railroads can abandon lines that don't make money for them. In Staten Island, NY, two of three Staten Island "subway" lines were abandoned in 1950s and I'm not sure if the freight lines were abandoned. Why do railroads abandon expensive locomotives and rolling stock instead of taking them apart and using the parts to fix other
locomotives and rolling stock? When NYCTA retired the "Redbird" subway cars, they took them apart, used the parts to fix other subway cars, and dumped the bodies into the ocean to create reefs.

Reasons for abandonment:

- Railroads don't just run trains because it's cool.

The rail infrastructure costs money to maintain and they have to pay taxes on it too and they need someone to pay for the line. In some places, such as where I live, the onus goes on the customer to pay for switches, and in some cases kick in for track maintenance if they're the only customer or one of few customers.

- Railroad management discourages branch line customers in favor of through routes in particular directions, and abandons routes.

Guilford Transportation Industries did this in the 1980s shortly after they took over the B&M, MEC, and D&H. What were once important branches for these respective railroads, and in a couple of cases once important mainlines, they were lopped off, cut up, carted away, and ROW sold off to telecom companies. The MEC lost its Mountain Division. The B&M lost its Berlin New Hampshire/Connecticut River line, and the D&H lost its Binghamton to Scranton line. All of these important lines were/are north to south instead of east to west, which GTI wanted to move freight from North Maine Jct. to Buffalo.

They also focused on removing feeder lines as well. Gone by early 2000s was the remaining bits of the Manchester and Lawrence, branches in and around the Boston area and other lines. In some cases they ran the lines but did no maintenance on them and then used that as an excuse to rip up the tracks. Danvers, Peabody, Topsfield, Salem Industrial tracks, M&L, etc. In one instance, trees were growing through and punched a hole in a loco's fuel tank.

- Railroads abandon routes because they consolidate with another parallel company in favor of traffic rights.

The B&M did that with the parallel Central Vermont as they gave up their once busy Cheshire mainline.

- Lines get converted to other services.

In and around the Boston area, a number of lines have become trolley and heavy rail subway lines instead of freight lines. The Metropolitan Transit Authority was one of the earliest companies to do this. In the 1920s, maybe earlier, they took over the New Haven branch to Milton, MA. That is now the Milton High speed Trolley line, which still runs restored PCCs today. They also took over the former Boston and Albany Newton Highland branch that used to form a looped commuter line. In 1959 this became the Newton High Speed Trolley line and is still used today for that purpose.

- Railroads are encouraged to pull out of areas in favor of expensive real estate developments.

Guilford again came to the rescue here. They gave up the easternmost hump yard in favor of real estate and shutdown the great Boston and Maine (B&M) hump and coach yards. The tracks are all gone except for a few tracks going to the engine terminal, and a couple of industries left. Along with this went the Somerville Freight Cut-off, which is now a bike trail. The Lexington Branch got lopped off as well, and that became the famous Minuteman Trail. There was talk of LRVs to Hanscom Airfield up in Bedford, but the NIMBYs won't allow noisy trains.

- Cost-cutting moves.

Foolish management decisions, which come back to bite later such as the Pacific Northwest Extension. The MILW was in poor shape in the 1970s mostly due to management that was sucking the company dry plus dumb management moves which cost money. They needed to rebuild the PNE, but decided to abandon it instead after it was shown to be losing money. The tracks came up immediately, and it was shown later to be an accounting error. Yes. The PNE was the most profitable portion of their company! The catenary system was old and needed updates, but instead of taking the offer of a loan and free updates by GE, including the completion and connecting of the two separate segments, the company instead sold the copper in favor of gas guzzling Geeps. The kick is they never got the return on the copper because the market for copper tanked then as well.

- Storms

Tracks get wiped out, washed out, etc., and the company doesn't have enough cash or customers worth the beans to rebuild. We lost a slew of branch lines here because of that in the 1940s to 1950s.

So so many different reasons...

Thanks, John, it all boils down to money!

But environmentalists may still fret over certain railroad practices that lead to public eyesores.

Thanks, John, it all boils down to money!...
Yes, John's response is a very enlightening and well written synopsis of the issues facing railroads.

I have spent far too much time depressed over the state of railroad demise, as if every lost line was lost forever. It wasn't until I started to learn more about the history of railroading (especially in the U.S.) that I began to realize the overwhelmingly tumultuous past of the entire industry. There has never been a time when railroad magnates weren't squabbling over rights of expansion, even to the point that they were trying to out-compete one another on opposite sides of the river, or pay off landowners to be hostile to selling access to the other railroads. Constant change to lines, abandonment of unprofitable track, mergers and dissolution has been a constant factor that makes the story fascinating.

Nothing abandoned is abandoned forever. It remains an asset that can be recycled when it becomes profitable to do so. And considering the amount of clutter in the U.S. when compared to Eastern Europe and Russia...

Yes, John's response is a very enlightening and well written synopsis of the issues facing railroads.

I have spent far too much time depressed over the state of railroad demise, as if every lost line was lost forever. It wasn't until I started to learn more about the history of railroading (especially in the U.S.) that I began to realize the overwhelmingly tumultuous past of the entire industry. There has never been a time when railroad magnates weren't squabbling over rights of expansion, even to the point that they were trying to out-compete one another on opposite sides of the river, or pay off landowners to be hostile to selling access to the other railroads. Constant change to lines, abandonment of unprofitable track, mergers and dissolution has been a constant factor that makes the story fascinating.

Nothing abandoned is abandoned forever. It remains an asset that can be recycled when it becomes profitable to do so. And considering the amount of clutter in the U.S. when compared to Eastern Europe and Russia...

I've done the same and gone as far as getting that awful pit in my stomach when I've come across an abandoned rail line, which at one point I too deemed should never have been removed. In some cases yes, especially after Guilford and Conrail did their slashing and burning of the rail landscape. In other cases, well there are some line which only served a single industry such as the lumber industry, for example. Those lines lasted as long as the industry did that supported them. New Hampshire's White Mountains are covered with former logging roads [sic], I mean railroad ROW. One of the lines, that has landed on my someday list, was about 78 miles long and covered the Pemmigawasset River side of the White Mountains. There's only a short stub left today that's used by the Hobo Railroad in Lincoln NH, and there's a stuffed Shay sitting next to the Kangamangus Highway as it enters in to Lincoln. The rest disappeared over time and lost regular freight service in 1980s when Guilford pulled out of that part of New Hampshire and the line is owned by New Hampshire government. They also did let the Concord to White River Jct. mainline go then as well. Today that's a snowmobile trail and at one point there was discussions about bringing that back for passenger use, but New Hampshire is as anti-rail and pro-highway as they come.

Speaking of competing lines, etc. In my local area the Boston and Maine as we know it started as multiple small companies such as the Andover and Wilmington (ca 1830), the Haverhill and Andover, the Exeter and Haverhill, the Exeter an Portland, etc. They had to contend with the other state-chartered and supported railroad the Boston and Lowell, which ran between the respective cities. In order to continue to Boston, they had to wait for permission to enter the B&L. In the late 1840s the B&M rebuilt its mainline to what it is today through Andover, and also built its own mainline via Reading and Wakefield on to Boston. The B&L brought them to court because they had an exclusive charter to run the trains into Boston, and the ensuing court battle ended up in favor of the B&M, which by the late 1880s owned them anyway along with most other lines in the region including the Boston, Concord, and Montreal, Lawrence, and Lowell, Manchester and Lawrence, the famous Eastern Railroad, and many, many others.

After their peak in the early 1910s, they became a proxy to wealthy stock holders who used the railroads as pawns for profiteering. (Sounds familiar). As industry declined, the railroads did as well. Branches soldiered on as needed, but when the Depression hit, many were cut up and sold off. The Essex Railroad, for example, that ran between South Lawrence (North Andover line) to Salem via Peabody and Danvers, was cut up and sold for scrap. The metal was used for the War effort in WWII. The Essex RR was never particularly profitable even from the beginning, and was bankrupt before it was purchased by the B&M.

Other lines were direct competitors such as the Eastern Railroad. This line served the seacoast and ran nearly flat and straight from Boston up to Portland Maine. Built in the late 1830s to early 1840s, they did quite well, but had to rely on a ferry to come in from East Boston. When the new North Station was built, the lines were consolidated and they used trackage rights to enter into Boston as well as a then recently built line in Everett which connected to the B&M mainline from Reading. In the 1880s, they too became part of the B&M, and became a mostly commuter line. Their through service ended in the 1930s and big hunks are abandoned today. The Worcester, Nashua, Rochester & Portland met the same fate in the 1920s during the tough times. The route did host the famous potato trains and through passenger trains from NYC to the White Mountains, but that route competed muchly with the B&M's western division and Fitchburg Railroads. When push came to shove, the more meandering WRN&P was mostly pulled up. There are a few small segments still around.

The list goes on.... In some cases lines were built by one company just to encroach into another's territory. The B&M did that with the Lawrence and Lowell. That line was used to siphon off lucrative mill business in Lowell and send it via Lawrence and down the B&M mainline to Boston via Reading. The line was supposed to run along the Merrimack River, but ended up veering inland and running via Tewksbury because some major stockholders wanted a rail route. The line was severed in the 1950s and 60s when I-495 was built with the two end portions being used for freight. Today the South Lawrence end is operational to an industrial park. The Tewksbury side was abandoned because Guilford, at the time, didn't want to serve the few remaining industries at that end.

The railroads, like any business, are all about money, profits and money, and did what they could with their toys then what is done today just the same with other medium. This was Railroad Tycoon in the real world.

Last edited:
I'm sure Baja Rail (successor to the PIR) would have a different opinion. However, the fact remains that Baja RR is in Mexico and the those three
GP40-2's are at Coyote Wells, so the ownership of them is somewhat in question. Further, the PIR never paid for the three GP40-2's and they never paid UP for bringing them to Plaster City before the big centerbeam interchange accident. Suffice it to say, those guys at the PIR bring new meaning to the term "fly by night" when it comes to ruining a railroad - or and investment scam.

This was Railroad Tycoon in the real world.

I haven't played Railroad Tycoon 3 in a while, and I have a strategy when playing it, and it involves, well, a cheat code. The cheat code 'bailout' gives you 10 Million dollars and I always use it to merge with other railroads. When I merge with them, I offer top dollar to the investors to buy the railroad, which has worked every time. However, I notice that these ai railroads have steep grades, so when I merge with them, I delete the track between the stations and relay the track, using a route with gentler grades and double-tracked, though I keep the stations. I will also note that as the game wears on, the ai eventually stops building new railroads. Also, if I'm building a new route and run out of money, instead of selling bonds, I'll use the cheat code 'bailout', and continue building.

I haven't played Railroad Tycoon 3 in a while, and I have a strategy when playing it, and it involves, well, a cheat code. The cheat code 'bailout' gives you 10 Million dollars and I always use it to merge with other railroads. When I merge with them, I offer top dollar to the investors to buy the railroad, which has worked every time. However, I notice that these ai railroads have steep grades, so when I merge with them, I delete the track between the stations and relay the track, using a route with gentler grades and double-tracked, though I keep the stations. I will also note that as the game wears on, the ai eventually stops building new railroads. Also, if I'm building a new route and run out of money, instead of selling bonds, I'll use the cheat code 'bailout', and continue building.

I haven't played that in ages. :)

I never used a cheat code, however, I was a ruthless stock trader. I would buy up the stocks of the competitors until it started to rise up then sell it all and force a big price drop. In the meantime my profits have been climbing and this took a big hunk out of their pockets. I would then buy the stock back again and sit on it until the price climbed and then sell it. and repeat this until they eventually filed for bankruptcy. At that point I would buy up all their assets and merge their routes in unless I had to rebuild them because of the reasons you mentioned. Yeah some of their grades were really, really steep!

Anyway, 'sorta' back to the topic at hand, I've came across a video that of a place that JCitron might be familiar with, and might have been abandoned.

Anyway, 'sorta' back to the topic at hand, I've came across a video that of a place that JCitron might be familiar with, and might have been abandoned.

That line is still very much active. It's the remains of the former South Reading and Peabody and is known today as the Peabody industrial track. The sole remaining customer is just in off the square and is a gelatin plant which makes stuff for the biotech industries. It used to be owned by Kodak at one time, but was sold off to someone else today. Tanks go in with chemicals and hoppers of cow bones. Yes cow bones. The bones are rendered down with the chemicals to make a clear gelatin, which is used to make those petri dishes grow things. Kodak used to use the plant to make gelatin, but that was for film back when they owned the plant.

The company was once served out of the North Salem yard, located where the new commuter station is today. The bigger Salem yard, is pretty much gone except for a few business there, and the Salem switcher is now stationed in Lawrence MA. This local heads all the way to Boston, switching industries in Andover, Wilmington, Woburn, Winchester, and a few in and around Somerville before it heads up the Eastern RR to Salem and on to Peabody. At one time the Salem switcher was busy and freights ran out of Salem for points north and west, but all that's gone now.

The track here is in reasonable shape for a Pan Am line, and is located about 30 miles south of me in Peabody. I believe part of it was actually upgraded to welded rail just near where the branch splits from the Newburyport line near the Salem Tunnel and runs along the river. This was done because of the heavy service the line sees and on the behest of the town of Peabody.

The line was built by the B&M as a siphon branch to pull business from the Eastern Railroad and used to be a double-track line which went all the way to Reading MA via a branch off of the Boston and Maine mainline in Wakefield, which also ran up to Danvers and West Peabody and on to Newburyport by way of Georgetown. This line proper was the Newburyport branch of the B&M and was built to head off business up that way too from the Eastern Railroad.

The South Reading to Peabody segment was severed sometime in the 1930s if not before that and part of the ROW is now the famous Route 128 (aka Interstate 95 today) when that road went from a meandering back road to a highway. Just near the Salem Street exit, the highway makes a funny jog as it's aligned with the railroad ROW.

The actual end of track today is closer to Interstate 95 where it splits off from Route 128 proper, and used to pass Suntaug Lake. There were once other customers on the outer end, but that end has not seen business in years, mostly because Guilford at the time didn't want to service them. The town of Peabody, though has required that they keep the tracks in place and not abandon the line because of future industrial reasons.

Here's a map of the area pulled out aways. Red lines are abandoned, blue active and the line in discussion.

zi2zcEr.jpg

Here's the bing link you can look at closer:

https://binged.it/2HpnwFp

Now I know that this is off topic, but that video reminded me of something. If I had a place to move to that was next to some active railroad tracks, it'd be one of the houses on this road. To the left it the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum's mainline, so there's no trains coming by the house 24/7. The tracks are heading to Missionary Ridge Tunnel, which is just around the curve and out of sight, while East Chattanooga is the opposite way. And since I'm also a member, I can also simply walk down the tracks to East Chattanooga to work at the shops, or if I'm a member of the crew of the Missionary Ridge Local, I can have them stop in front of my house and pick me up on their way to Grand Junction to run the first train of the day. Walking to East Chattanooga instead of driving there will give me some exercise and I wouldn't have to drive there. Then again, I wouldn't mind living next to the shortline Chattanooga and Chickamauga north of Chickamauga, Georgia. There are several reasons why, they are:
1. Because the trains don't run on the shortline 24/7.
2. I'll be able to see both the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum's diesel-powered Chickamauga Turn, which runs between the TVRM's Grand Junction station to Chickamauga and back, and the Summerville Steam Special which follows the same route as the Chickamauga Turn, but continues on south to Summerville, Georgia and back.

Anyway, back to the Google Street View link:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0649183,-85.2458756,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWgk_a1lR0_PE31libvi3rA!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

One thing to remember with these track abandonment issues is that sometimes, maybe even most of the time really, there are overlapping and conflicting ownership issues over who actually has title to the land. A lot of track,especially in the east, is actually on an easement granted to the railroad and not owned outright. Throw in over a century of bankrupting railroads, merging railroads, assignments, land division, and other sales and it gets very complicated very quickly to figure out who actually owns the land underneath the track. This has become very crucial as abandoned lines are converted to trails as the easement may only have been granted for use as a rail line. Other times abandonment is defined differently. Then you have railbanking mandated by Congress to preserve a line, otherwise unused, if it is needed in the future. So, some right of ways that may not even have track on them anymore may still be owned by the railroad. Even some of those trails may actually still be owned by the railroad and leased out as a trail for a donation tax break with a clause that allows them to turn it back into a rail line if need be. Things aren't always as they seem just because something looks abandoned to the lay person.

One thing to remember with these track abandonment issues is that sometimes, maybe even most of the time really, there are overlapping and conflicting ownership issues over who actually has title to the land. A lot of track,especially in the east, is actually on an easement granted to the railroad and not owned outright. Throw in over a century of bankrupting railroads, merging railroads, assignments, land division, and other sales and it gets very complicated very quickly to figure out who actually owns the land underneath the track. This has become very crucial as abandoned lines are converted to trails as the easement may only have been granted for use as a rail line. Other times abandonment is defined differently. Then you have railbanking mandated by Congress to preserve a line, otherwise unused, if it is needed in the future. So, some right of ways that may not even have track on them anymore may still be owned by the railroad. Even some of those trails may actually still be owned by the railroad and leased out as a trail for a donation tax break with a clause that allows them to turn it back into a rail line if need be. Things aren't always as they seem just because something looks abandoned to the lay person.

This is an issue in some areas such as NY State.

Then there's an outright abandonment, without preserving the ROW then realizing it's too late after structures are built on it, or letting it go only to wish the tracks were not ripped up because now it's too costly to put them back and the NIMBYs won't allow it anyway. In Western MA the Boston and Albany, later NYC and Conrail operated a branch between North Adams and Pittsfield, MA. Just prior to Guilford purchasing the Boston and Maine (B&M), the B&M took ownership of the line and ran through freights up from Pittsfield and served industries in and around each end of the line. The biggest industry located in Renfrew, MA (Zylonite) is a limestone quarry with other warehouses, quarries, and lumber yards, etc. spread along the route. This line basically had the same service under B&M operations which the previous operators had provided, but Conrail didn't want the smaller operation anymore so it sold it off to the B&M. Then came in Guilford who lopped off all side branches, or curtailed operations on them. They let the branch rot along the way, and then abandoned the line south from the Zylonite plant. What was once a 45 mph line is now down to about 20 mph if that today. The remaining portion of the line south of Zylonite is now a trail, but there's no chances of operations being restored because NIMBYs along the route have fought hard to stop that and a big shopping plaza was built across the ROW in the southern end.

The state had a chance to buy up the ROW and preserve it, but nope they let it go and now there's no chance of bringing back the service. At one point they had considered restoring the passenger service from Pittsfield to North Adams, but that was nixed and never happened. The only passenger service now is a recent start up of the Berkshire Scenic between North Adams and the end of track in Renfrew. But as far as through service goes, that will never happen now.

Here in GB over the situation decades ago when lines were closed in most cases the trackage was lifted and indeed some places turned into countryside walkways for people to enjoy the pleasant walks and scenery. When rail was nationalised back in 1948 they were in a state after years of war but Were in a state for an awful long time. However in more modern years when the railways went back into their original private situation things actually improved and doing better. Think over in America there was a less supportive attitude towards rail what with being a big country, plane advancement and so on. Mind you art the same time other large countries did not go into the rail downhill of the States.

A long time back now on the forums I intimated that I possessed a book which was the official publication of American Railroads. It was dated in the mid-1950's and listed every railway company in the USA plus Canada, Mexico and Cuba (!). It is still somewhere in my house if I can find the dashed thing and I remember asking of any American might like it as was a fascinating aspect of their railway background. Even by that annual publication (over 2 inches thick the decline in the passenger side was very obvious. Think you folk over there lost out and at least we have even though a smaller nation have went away ahead in railway progress and sheer numbers of travellers. Here north of the Border we have had lines re-opened (one over 30 miles long). Another brought back and electrified now yet another which lost it's freight side has had decades gone passenger travel brought back and now being electrified!

You unfortunate folk have lost an awful lot re rail.

Foolish management decisions, which come back to bite later such as the Pacific Northwest Extension. The MILW was in poor shape in the 1970s mostly due to management that was sucking the company dry plus dumb management moves which cost money. They needed to rebuild the PNE, but decided to abandon it instead after it was shown to be losing money. The tracks came up immediately, and it was shown later to be an accounting error. Yes. The PNE was the most profitable portion of their company! The catenary system was old and needed updates, but instead of taking the offer of a loan and free updates by GE, including the completion and connecting of the two separate segments, the company instead sold the copper in favor of gas guzzling Geeps. The kick is they never got the return on the copper because the market for copper tanked then as well.

A note on the electrification - MILW couldn't afford it, period, and diesels did look to be economically superior at the time. (I could, and kinda am outside the forum, write a whole lengthy essay on the electric vs diesel stuff, it's fascinating!)

"An important variable, which greatly affected diesel versus electric comparision, was the size of the proposed electric investment. In the numerous studies conducted by the Milwaukee in the 1960s, different amounts of investment were considered essential to retaining electric operation. Simply purchasing enough new electrics to supplement the [Little] Joes would cost $14.4 million. Purchasing those locomotives and electrifying "The Gap" [212 miles between Avery and Othello, unelectrified] would cost $24.7 million. Replacing all electric locomotives including the Joes, electrifying "The Gap", increasing the capacity of the electrical supply system, and implementing a pole replacement program would cost close to $39 million. If the DC system were scrapped and replaced with a 25,000 volt AC system [similar to the Northeast Corridor], the cost would have been roughly $48 million. All of these were contrasted against full diesel operation, which could be established for an estimated $16.3 million." (Noel T. Holley, The Milwaukee Electrics).

With 1968 being the last year the company even made a profit, there was certainly no way to even think about fixing up Lines West. The traffic they estimated 60 years before never developed, never got even close, and the line was a failure from the very start. Safe to say that even if they had upgraded the lines, they wouldn't have gotten much more life out of it. Management was a mess though, that's for sure.

Cheers,
SM

When a RR has track that has dilapidated PC like infrastructure, where rails actually roll out and overturn from under the weight of passing trains, and ties are rotted, with spikes falling out ... and freight revenue no longer pays enough to even make a profit, as railcars are more or less always derailed on the ground, and delivery's are no longer profitable, and a RR can no longer pay the cost of repairing track, railcars, and loco's ... That pretty much sums up the US railroad industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0rhtVIaQSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLupx5pb1GQ

Last edited:
Here we had a rail line that ran out to the industries in the burgs. The state installed a light rail line on the right of way and after a few years it decided to pay off the freight company to stop using the line. They claimed the freight trains were doing to much damage. So the industries had to use trucks and many just closed or moved elsewhere.

Rob

I think that in USA, railroads had to abandon passenger train service because selfish people would rather drive huge pickup trucks and huge SUVs and expensive sedans than to ride the train. I wish that USA does the same thing that Japan and some other countries do like high taxes, high price of insurance, and high price of gasoline.

Back