just ordered tane platnium edition

hello to all: its been a while since trs06:

just ordered tane platinum edition build 88364

don't tell me this train simulator is going to be obsolete like trs06. hope not.
would this have the latest patch version 2? also the full version is being mailed to to me . but unde my trainz I have download full version and another smaller file. a little confused my tane is being shipped by mail but under my trianz I have download full version plus the smaller file also to be downloaded someone explain this to me please. at lease trs06 had a disc for me to use to put on my desktop. is the new tane the same way?

switchmen37

Welcome to the forums, switchmen37 - and congratulations on your purchase of Trainz: A New Era, Platinum Edition - which is the current state-of-the-art in Railroad Simulators.
The product is primarily a set of digital downloads - an exceptional bundle of goodies packaged up to deliver excellent value for money. (Purchasing all of these items separately would cost 'a bundle' :hehe: )

Not sure what exactly is being mailed, unless you ordered a boxed set version. (Just checked - there isn't one for the Platinum bundle - it is a digital download only).
The online download version is the most up to date in any event. You will be able to patch that up to the latest Service Pack 2 version once it is fully installed.

You do not need disks to run T:ANE as you did with some earlier versions of Trainz, like TRS2006. Authorization is via your registered username (switchmen37) and the password you set at the time of registration.

Last edited:
just ordered tane platinum edition build 88364

don't tell me this train simulator is going to be obsolete like trs06. hope not.

Name a product that does not eventually become obsolete? The CD that Trainz 2006 came on requires a CD player that is now rarely supplied with new computers - you now have to buy a separate external CD unit if you still need one. I have not used the CD drive on my desktop for at least 2 years now. My four year old desktop computer is now "obsolete technology" (graphics card and CPU are not up to the "standard") but it still works. Your TRS2006 will still work (as long as you have a working CD drive).

Products, like Trainz 2006, only become obsolete when something better (or newer, shinier, with more baubles, etc) is released or the technology they need no longer works. Trainz 2006 will be a teenager (13 years old) this coming September. During that time users have demanded more and better features, better graphics, more stability and reliability, etc. There are a few deluded souls who will argue that none of the releases since TRS06 (or TRS04 or UTC, pick your favourite) have met any of those demands, but those of us who are in the "real world" can tell the differences.

"Obsolete" has more to do with a "state of mind" than a "scrap heap". Just this morning I was listening on my radio (now there is a technology that has survived many rounds of being obsolete) to a news item about how old fashioned vinyl records have made a comeback. They were supposed to have been made "obsolete" by CDs and then iPods.

TANE will eventually become "obsolete" in the sense that a newer, better, shinier product will replace it in the market place. You may decide to upgrade or not. You can continue to enjoy it for as long as you like.

My thoughts only.
Peter

hello pware and pc-ace:

thanks for the reply,

I have downloaded the file. one thing though do I need to download the tane uk version also? wait to see what u 2 will say on that subject.

switchmen37

hey mf01:

hey mf01 I ordered the wrong one I see now in the trainz store there is a trainz a new era to click on. my mistake I did not see that. now what am I going to do with the platinum? now what am I going to do with the fct that I activated all ready. be cause I will need to download trainz new era sp2 instead of the platinum.

you got me thinking the reply you gave me, I have downloaded the us version that's what I mean when I said " I downloaded the file". the" download tane gave me these 2 version US and version UK. that's the 2 tane gave me for download.

switchmen37

Last edited:
hey mf01:

hey mf01 I ordered the wrong one I see now in the trainz store there is a trainz a new era to click on. my mistake I did not see that. now what am I going to do with the platinum? now what am I going to do with the fct that I activated all ready. be cause I will need to download trainz new era sp2 instead of the platinum.

you got me thinking the reply you gave me, I have downloaded the us version that's what I mean when I said " I downloaded the file". the" download tane gave me these 2 version US and version UK. that's the 2 tane gave me for download.

switchmen37

It's all the same package except for a disk. With the Platinum you get a ton of extra content which you would have to purchase separately.

So no loss and at a good price too.

There is no difference in the product whether UK or US. The difference is the mirror from which the program is downloaded from.

Your FCT is still your FCT whether you purchased it with the disk version, or Platinum version. You can even use it with TRS2006 if you want, or any other version for that matter.

Your download version will be up-to-date as is and should not require any additional downloads until the next patch comes out.

Last edited:
hello jcitron:

I got the tane sp2 ready to play: but 2 questions: 1) where can I find the trainz code or the serial number from tane platinum and where do I install the code? hope you can walk me through this from the beginning to the end. is there a tutor on this also some place if forums.

second) what happened to the speed dial in the upper right hand corner I do not see it I used the tutors and do not see any speed dial?

switchmen37

The digital editions do not need serial numbers. They are authenticated digitally each time you start the program. The actual serial number you should find in your MyTrainz account details - just click the MyTrainz link at the top of this page then click the Serial Number link in the left column of the MyTrainz page. You should see your TANE serial number listed (don't try to enter anything in the data entry boxes at the top).

You will need to register your copy of TANE - you do this from the TANE Launcher screen. Click Trainz Settings then the Internet tab. Enter your username (switchmen37) and the same password you use to access this forum. The details will be saved as soon as you enter them.

jcitron:

thanks, yeah I ran it some yesterday its a lot better than 2006. not saying trs06 was bad but this is a lot better. whats up with the image verification that's new to me.?

see u on the rails moving freight.

switchmen37

Back