Track WITH caternary????

There is some already, Japanese among others. They don't work well due to how the catenary doesn't quite work well fixed to the track and only works in a small instances such as on a bridge. You are better off placing the caternary separately. In some assets, the hardware is actually track objects while the wires are spline objects.

Gentle correction there, John. The Pendies are AC electric, it's the "Voyagers" - Class 220, 221 and the Meridian branded Class 222 spin offs which are the next gen diesel high speed trains. The Class 800 "IET" being rolled out on GWR are bi-mode hybrid sets in that they are primarily intended to run off overhead 25kv supply but also have underfloor diesel engines fitted for working off the electrified network. Don't think anyone has built one of these for Trainz, yet.

Gentle correction there, John. The Pendies are AC electric, it's the "Voyagers" - Class 220, 221 and the Meridian branded Class 222 spin offs which are the next gen diesel high speed trains. The Class 800 "IET" being rolled out on GWR are bi-mode hybrid sets in that they are primarily intended to run off overhead 25kv supply but also have underfloor diesel engines fitted for working off the electrified network. Don't think anyone has built one of these for Trainz, yet.

Oh, Ok. That's good to know. We don't have anything like these over here unfortunately. Maybe I'll introduce some...

The Class 800s by the sounds of it work like some of the units that run in and out of New York City. They run as diesels on the outskirts and switch to third-rail for the run in the commuter areas into the tunnels. The New York, New Haven and Hartford, aka the New Haven, did this early on in the 1950s with the FL9s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_800

But if you travel on one, be warned the seats in Standard Class are awful. Very little support for your backside and none at all for your back and head. It's like they just stretched fabric over the plastic moulding. It makes the seating in the previously mentioned Voyagers and Pendolino's look sumptuous and comfortable. I travelled down to Bristol from Swindon the other day (later back from Bath to Swindon) and 30 - 40 minutes was more than enough, yet these are being used on 3 - 4 hour journeys. I took a quick look in First Class and that didn't appear much better. And the décor/colour scheme with the harsh lighting is just bilious! I know we can't expect the well padded, wooden framed "armchairs" we used to get in the old Mark One coaches these days, but given the fares being charged to travel on these things a little more comfort and ambience could be provided.

Another example of folk being treated like cattle, Vern. These TOCs don't care about anything except profit.

Cheers

Dave

I did a fair bit of travel on the Continent in the 80's (the benefits of having free passes!) and the old German and SNCF corridor stock with vinyl seats was more comfortable. Even the original DB Silverfish coaches were better than the Hitachi offering.

Oh and just a thought, back on topic (!). By installing catenary separate from track on a Trainz route can choose the type and height of the overhead wires so more flexible than the OLE effect in TS2018 where the catenary wire renders with the track section if you choose the electrified track rule.

Back