track spacers?

Approach_Medium

Trainz Addict
Hi;
I am looking for an easy (and quick) method of aligning multiple tracks to keep them at a set distance apart.
I have installed a set of spacers that work very well, but they require that I break the track and insert them as track sections.
Is there anything that is just an object or a tool that I can place (and remove after tracks have been aligned) to accomplish this?

Thanks
CP

I use MB Quad for straightaways, and attach single tracks on curves, I don't delete the MB Quad for many months, until track is perfected

I look precisely straight down, zoomed in, and move adjacent track spline points, just so that they are barely touching an adjacent track ties end

This makes for (G Fishers) PRR Track Guide spacing of 4m

I use MB Quad for straightaways, and attach single tracks on curves, I don't delete the MB Quad for many months, until track is perfected

I look precisely straight down, zoomed in, and move adjacent track spline points, just so that they are barely touching an adjacent track ties end

This makes for (G Fishers) PRR Track Guide spacing of 4m
Checked it out, and unfortunately that will not work for me, as I already have the tracks in place - the route was generated using TransDem, which creates track and splines.
I have done some experimenting with the spacers by "storknest" and found a way to make them work for me. I just place it on the track at a spline point and just align it with one track, then line up the next track to lie directly over the spacer. This way I don't need to break the track to insert them, and I just move down the line to the next spline point. The only thing I don't like about this method is that it requires me to switch back and forth between track and scenery.
I guess I could just delete the track in the section I am working on, place the spacers, then replace the track.
Or, once I have some experience with how the track splines look when I have the correct spacing (I think this is what you are talking about with "moving adjacent track spline points, just so that they are barely touching an adjacent track ties end").

I have found there are a variety of track objects that I can use to mark off a consistent spacing. Some, like certain line-side poles, project a discernible point exactly perpendicular to the track from which I wish to build a consistently spaced parallel, even on curves. For curves I place a track object marker at each spline point on the existing track. This technique has made laying out parallels pretty easy for me. The curves produced are smooth and of constant radius (at least if the original track's curvature was smooth and of constant radius), such that I don't notice any "jerkiness" as rolling stock passes over the parallel curve's spline points.

Checked it out, and unfortunately that will not work for me, as I already have the tracks in place
You can lay MB Quad right over top of the existing track, laying far short of the straight track end spline points, then move them around to fine placement, looking precisely straight down, zoomed in ... then drag the one end of the MB quad out of the way, and delete it

Last edited:
I think these are NOT what you're looking for, but I always use bekaember's track spacers like "FT 1T 2m 4.50" and "FT 2T 2m 5.00". Between those and his Fixed Track lengths (curved and straight), I can lay a pretty good looking collection of track. All are available on the DLS.

Andrew

Unfortunately there is no "trackside" "clip on" track spacing asset, so "ALL" spacers are absolutely of no use, and are difficult to use, and need to be custom fine rotated to a specific degree angle

All I do is place all spline points in the same place along the track and move the track so the spline point circle just touches each other or for a smaller gap move the circle so it just touches the rail of the other track.

If it touchs the rail, that would make track spacing too narrow, @ 2.5m, instead of 4m ... it should just touch the end of the tie ... touching spline points would make it too far apart @ 6m

perhaps it is 3m I use ? I ferget'

Last edited:
If all you want to do is mark the position for the parallel track, here's a suggestion:
Clone a single post signal and change the trackside parameter to 0.
If the signal appears in the centre of your track you can then change the trackside figure to the spacing you want for the track centres.

Chris.

Yeah ... but trackside signals have no visible spline point to line adjacent track spline points up to

Now if you altered a track spacing gauge to be a "snap on" trackside asset ... that might work

Last edited:
I think I'm just going to eyeball it using the splines as suggested.
At one time I used a double track asset but was advised against using anything but single track. I haven't seen any double track in Trainz in a long time.

You could try one of the following, depending on how many tracks and spacing you require:
<kuid:42778:30104> DFLS Tool D40
<kuid:42778:30105> DFLS Tool D45
<kuid:42778:30106> DFLS Tool D50
<kuid:42778:3310> DFLS Tool qt450
<kuid:42778:3302> DFLS Tool qt445
<kuid:42778:3301> DFLS Tool qt345
<kuid:42778:3303> DFLS Tool qt545
<kuid:42778:3311> DFLS Tool qt350
<kuid:42778:3309> DFLS Tool qt550
<kuid:42778:3304> DFLS Tool qt645
<kuid:42778:3322> DFLS Tool qt650
<kuid:42778:3305> DFLS Tool qt745
<kuid:42778:3323> DFLS Tool qt750
<kuid:42778:3306> DFLS Tool qt845
<kuid:42778:3324> DFLS Tool qt850

They are intended for use aligning overhead catenary systems, but are very useful for aligning parallel tracks also. They cover the range 4.0m to 5.0m and are trackside objects so can easily be attached and deleted without moving or altering tracks.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike for those assets. I'll check those out since I've been looking for something like this myself.

I have placed a billion spline points, and my accuracy is within 1 inch tolerance :cool: using trainzoptions file -surveyorfov=35

The trainzoptions.txt file is no longer a viable option with T:ANE. This is due to the trainzoptions.txt file being a Auran Jet configuration file, which is all obsolete now.

The late Andi06 made a series of way gauges in his JK junction series for TR2004 for two and three tracks and UK and US spacings.

You could try one of the following, depending on how many tracks and spacing you require:

They are intended for use aligning overhead catenary systems, but are very useful for aligning parallel tracks also. They cover the range 4.0m to 5.0m and are trackside objects so can easily be attached and deleted without moving or altering tracks.

Regards

Mike

:wave: Greetings Mike,

Thank you for the good info and Kuids. One of things I like to do when possible is have my Tracks spaced evenly, wherever it makes sense too. And I have used Trainz Tape Measure (old School I'm sure) most of the time for Proximity to the next track over.

Now with these new templates it will make it a lot simpler....

:cool:Great GEM of a find for me today!

If all you want to do is mark the position for the parallel track, here's a suggestion:
Clone a single post signal and change the trackside parameter to 0.
If the signal appears in the centre of your track you can then change the trackside figure to the spacing you want for the track centres.

Chris.
Thanks for this suggestion, Chris! I just cloned/modified the C_Horn sign to have an offset at my preferred track spacing (4.3m). The modified item makes an easy-to-see marker for placing parallel track spline points that will be easier to use than the TUME-51022-WS-56-4m-P12m pole I had been making do with.

Back