Content Creators WANTED

I reskinned a sign once, looks pretty good.

Im thinking n3v gives me liked 10 grand and Ill think about letting them use my sign in a future route.

We have the content sorted for the next version of Trainz so we are not after builtin content. Keen to see what others are working on so we can help them prepare it for sale through DLC or get it up on the DLS. We see many assets that are good but with a few little tweaks and tricks the content could really pop.

For any creators who haven't seen we and a lot of the community are on Discord (Live Chat) now ...the list of creators is building in the chat group and it's good to see some creative juices flowing:
http://www.trainzportal.com/blog/view/content-creator-live-chat

We are here to help advance your content, be it paid or free.

Ah, so live chat is back. All sounds like good news.

If you would like new content, especially for niche markets, may I respectfully suggest that you resume accepting content written in legacy versions (for DLS)? It's a lot easier, I would hazzard, to update to whatever the current build is this morning than to do the research and creative work to create new content. Or anyway, the skills and interests necessary are more widely distributed.

Just a suggestion.

We recognize that the skills required to create the next generation of content are higher than 15 years agao and that's why we're devoting more time to assisting content creators to understand the processes. Once you've learnt the process, it is really worth the effort once you see the higher quality results in-game.

Regarding all the legal talk, so that you know we're not ignoring you, we're awaiting our own legal advice as to what we can and cannot say to you all about copyright issues. Stay tuned...

We recognize that the skills required to create the next generation of content are higher than 15 years agao and that's why we're devoting more time to assisting content creators to understand the processes. Once you've learnt the process, it is really worth the effort once you see the higher quality results in-game.

Regarding all the legal talk, so that you know we're not ignoring you, we're awaiting our own legal advice as to what we can and cannot say to you all about copyright issues. Stay tuned...

Thanks for your courteous response - I can understand exactly where you're coming from on this.

Looks like Russian routes might be off the menu as the ignition spark for WW III has just kicked off in the Middle East...

To tidy up come of the concerns raised earlier in this thread, here is some non-legal advice (since we're not lawyers, and getting two lawyers to agree on anything is difficult at best):

Our lawyers have suggested that we don't provide legal advice to our customers. If you want to use any brand names or brand images in your components and you’re not sure whether or not you’re legally allowed to, you should ask the brand owner for permission. If you have permission from the correct person, and you only use the relevant brand within the permission you were given, it is unlikely that you will have any issues in relation to your use of that brand.

I have real concerns about nv3 games coming along and turning freware into installed payware.

Could you give a specific example of what you mean?

Anything uploaded to the DLS is always available (baring any copyright violations) for any registered Trainz user to download as freeware. When you upload your content to the DLS you are "signing" an agreement with N3V that your work may be included in any payware release that they may decide to make. This has always been the case since the DLS started. Anyone who does not want to agree to this condition is not forced to upload their work to the DLS - there are other 3rd party web sites they can use (with their own conditions) or they can create their own web site as some Trainzers have done.

To me this means that if you create and upload something like a scenery or a rolling stock asset to the DLS then that asset can be included (referenced) in the content released with any DLC routes or sessions but the asset is still on the DLS and is still available for anyone else to use independent of them purchasing the DLC route/session. In fact most (all??) of the DLC routes include assets that are found on the DLS.

The DLC also contains routes, sessions and other payware assets (mostly locos and rolling stock items) that have been specifically created by users for the DLC. Anyone, as far as I know, can approach N3V and offer their content for distribution on the DLC, in fact N3V encourage this.

I have never had a problem with this and the DLS is the only place where I upload any of my content. I have no idea if N3V have ever referenced any of my scenery or loco content (all reskins and/or mods made with full approval from the original creators) in any of their DLC assets, and they are perfectly entitled to do so.

Could you give a specific example of what you mean?
I think the issue is that when a freeware item is included in a payware route it becomes a payware item. I have never purchased any payware so I don't know how it works, but I guess that the payware version of an asset overwrites any freeware version already installed. That means that the user can never upload any routes that include those items to the DLS, even though the assets are freeware and are already on the DLS. The solution, of course, is to not package the freeware items with the payware routes, so that those who purchase the payware need to download the freeware components from the DLS instead of having them in the payware package.

The solution, of course, is to not package the freeware items with the payware routes, so that those who purchase the payware need to download the freeware components from the DLS instead of having them in the payware package.

I was under the impression that that was how it worked. A route (freeware or payware) "references" any DLS content but does not include it in the package, but I could be mistaken.

I have a lot of items that were free ( from the DLS ) that became payware when I purshased some routes from the Store and it’s annoying if I want to edit them ( the same for dependencies )

I was under the impression that that was how it worked. A route (freeware or payware) "references" any DLS content but does not include it in the package, but I could be mistaken.
That's how it works for routes on the DLS. But payware routes are the complete package, not just references. And therein lies the problem.

I just checked a payware (DLC) route that I have, Coal Country.

It (the route) has, according to CM, 627 assets broken down as follows:-

437 assets built-in or base
7 installed from DLS
183 installed, payware - I did a random sample of these and they were all shared with at least two DLC route/session assets or built-in routes/sessions.

It is a similar story with Kickstarter Country, ECML Kings Cross - Edinburgh (which topped the DLS count with 99 assets), C&O Hilton Division, Warwick - Wallangarra and Healesville 1913-1920 (which had the lowest DLS count with just 5 assets).

I just checked a payware (DLC) route that I have, Coal Country.
The search that is relevant is Payware+Installed+On Download Station. That will list the items with a potentially inconsistent status. I think you will need to check them on a different system because I suspect that installed payware will not download from the DLS (although if you could figure out how to do that it would be a way to resolve the problem).

OK, I just tried that - Payware+Installed+On Download Station

CM found 49 items out of 1202 Payware+Installed items I have (4%). None of these 49 items can, it seems, be deleted from my system. I downloaded via FTP one such item from the web based DLS but it would not install because, obviously, an asset with the same kuid number was already installed.

I then opened the asset, edited config.txt to remove the "privileged" tag but it would not submit as I was not "authorised" to do so.

I can see that this could be a problem but at 4% of my installed payware assets and a minuscule % of my over 400000 installed assets, it is not one that I will be losing any sleep over.

As far as I know, any item that is on the DLS shouldn't be marked payware. It is possible that some things have sliped through the net, perhaps due to the timing of it being uploaded to the DLS for example.

Also note that every "featured" payware item (e.g. routes, locos, sessions) have a "stub" on the DLS that isn't downloadable but is required for our build process, so the filter Payware+Installed+On Download Station isn't 100% accurate.

I have almost everything installed and there look to be about 100 items affected.

There is a task in our ever expanding "to-do" list to check these out and to make sure that the incorrect privileges are removed.

Last edited:
There is a task in our ever expanding "to-do" list to check these out and to make sure that the incorrect privileges are removed./QUOTE]
I presume you mean '... removed from the user's local copy of the asset'. The problem isn't that it's marked as payware on the DLS - the problem is that it's marked as payware on the user's system when it is not marked as payware on the DLS.

Back