Curious Problems with Mojave Subdivision Sessions

Heinrich505

Has anyone had problems with sessions from the Mojave Subdivision payware from TANE? I am running TANE SP2 and have run into some odd difficulties.

For Session DPU Push:
I start out in Cab Mode, with two pusher engines waiting on the siding. The long train comes by and stops just past the siding. I drive the pushers out and couple to the rear of the train. Cab mode is working just fine. Now I am directed to go to the front and drive the entire train. I do this, and then cannot get the train to move, no matter how much throttle or sanders or anything. The train won't budge, even at notch 8. The engines just overheat. I made sure the brakes were dumped, hitting D many times and seeing they were cleared. The engines won't pull the train. It is almost as if the rolling stock all have brakes on. Very odd.

However, if I switch over to DCC, the train moves just fine, and accelerates smoothly as power is applied, with no problems. Strange.

I tried to switch back to Cab Mode while the consist was moving. The train then slowly starts braking and comes to a halt, even though I am applying throttle. Brakes are not on at all, but the train comes to a halt. I switch back to DCC and once more the train smoothly accelerates.

So, I run the session in DCC, as it is the only way the train will move. But, partway through the session, I have to stop the train and cut off the first three coal cars, putting them on a siding. I stop the train, uncouple the cars from the main body, and, for the heck of it, I put it back to Cab Mode. Works fine. I pull the three cars around, back them onto the siding, and uncouple them, all using Cab Mode. I then pull off the siding, back up to the main consist, recouple, and cannot move the blasted thing, just as before. A switch back to DCC, and off I go, no problems once more. The same thing happens at the end of the session, when I cut the two pushers off the end of the train. I put it back in Cab Mode and the two engines worked just fine, stabled on a spur with no problems, all while in cab mode.

Once done with the session, I tried to access my saved games from the session and the game crashed to desktop. This happened for every save I had for the DPU session (5 total). This also happened for every save I had on another session, the ATSF #991 East session (2 saves). I can access the start of the game for both sessions, but any attempt to open the saved games results in me getting thrown completely out of the game. :(

So, anyone else have problems of this sort with the Mojave Subdivision?

Heinrich505

Maybe you don't have enough power. Does it happened in a plain area or in a gradient?

ajrf,
I pulled up the particulars of the train. It is fully loaded, mostly coal hoppers, and it is freaking long.
Trailing weight from front engine - 8230 tons
Total train weight - 9703 tons
Total train length - 5130 feet
Gradient - 0.78%

2 SD45 and 2 SD40T-2 engines head up the consist. 2 SD40T-2 engines are in the center area of the consist. 1 SD40T-2 and 1 SD 45 are pushing at the back.

When I try to start up, I'm showing Brake Flow as 0 and Brake Cylinder as 0. I have sanders on as well. The train will inch forward a little, and then stop. It doesn't matter if I go through the acceleration settings slowly or quickly.

As this is a scripted session that comes with the route, I can't image that TANE would put out a session that was impossible to start due to not enough power, but I could be wrong. The session runs in DCC, but again, I can't see them putting in a session that only runs in DCC and not Cab Control and not saying so in the beginning comments. I've seen some sessions for different routes that say "Cab Control only."

If I go into Edit Route in the Surveyor, the consist is entirely unloaded. But if I click on quick drive in Surveyor, the consist again shows in game as fully loaded.

Perhaps I am just missing something. I'm still pretty new to the game. The saved games crash to desktop is a bit troubling as well.

Heinrich505

Okay, so I created a test scenario for this session. I used a different route, Tehachapi, which was very close to the one in TANE. I set up the train in Bakersfield, as I needed room to put it together. I have apparently not added any SD45 engines to my stable yet (soon to be corrected :D) so I used SD40T-2 engines instead. As they are less powerful than the SD45, this set of 8 SD40T-2s should not pull as easily as the game sessions 3 SD45s and 5 SD40T-2s would.

I set up the consist with the same number of 100 ton 4 bay hopper cars as the game, all 92 of them. I loaded them with the max coal load. The engines were set the same as the game, with 4 on the head, two at the 48 car point, and the last two on the rear as pushers. The trailing weight of this train was 10,056 tons as compared to the trailing weight of 8230 tons in the game. In my test, I was pulling more weight with less engine power, as I was not using SD45s.

I started the train on level ground in Bakersfield. I was in Cab Mode the whole time. The train started up easily and immediately, as I moved from throttle 1 to 2 to 3 smoothly. There was immediate response at position 1 and then I moved quickly through 2 to 3. The train moved out slowly but smoothly, getting up to 13 mph very quickly.

I drove the train to the same spot on this route as the starting spot for the route in TANE. I stopped the train on the grade by the spur. The mapmaker for the Tehachapi route used a steeper grade than the one for TANE. I was stopped on a grade of 1.00 % as opposed to the grade in the TANE route of 0.78%. Pulling a heavier train on a steeper grade with less pulling power from the engines and in Cab Mode should mean I won't be able to budge the train.

Not the case. The engines responded immediately at power 1, taking out the slack. Then at power 2 and then up to 3, the entire train moved out slowly and smoothly on the steeper grade. There was no wheel slip and I did not use sanders. The whole train was again moving smoothly and accelerating past 15 mph while still on the grade.

So, is this a bug? Is there a problem with the rolling stock not playing nice with TANE SP2? The consist seemed to be what was stopping the engines from pulling, but then again, there was never any wheel slip in the original session. And since the train moved out smoothly in the game in DCC, is the problem with Cab Mode not working properly? Seems like a lot of unanswered questions.

Anyone have any suggestions? Who would I report this to?

Heinrich505

Heinrich505 - I just tried to replicate your original DPU Push experience in Build 92487 and got an immediate assertion dialog related to MOSceneryWithTrack::Load>null StretchID during load, Likely map corruption <kuid2:124017:26038:3> which indicates that there might be some problem with that particular asset in the route.
<kuid2:124017:26038:3> is a YARN T-Intersection that is built-in.
I also saw a red-bug report with the following details:

Mojave errors - DPU Push
Load(3)> One or more items failed to load correctly. Click 'More' for detailed information.
Read error when loading item 8516 (<kuid:-25:1090>, result -3, read 248 bytes, expected 248)
Read error when loading item 62113 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 62250 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 63219 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 63355 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 63525 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 65132 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 65174 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 65933 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 66183 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 66544 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 66636 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 154743 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 172005 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 176621 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 176622 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 176684 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 184203 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)
Read error when loading item 189417 (<kuid2:76656:500012:11>, result -3, read 152 bytes, expected 152)

Both these errors have been reported tonight.
(Gotta go - severe thunderstorm here, so shutting down the computer!)

Edit Update: Back again. Storm has passed. Lights are still on...

I was able to start the coal train without sanding in Cab-Mode as usual, despite the errors and warnings shown above.
After coupling to the rear of the train, I shifted focus to 'Alan' as the driver of the front SP SD45 power unit and released the brakes, etc. and slowly accelerated the train.

I take it that you didn't inadvertently leave the Independent (loco) brakes on?
The keyboard shortcut key for releasing the train brake BTW is 'Q', not 'D' as you've mentioned above.

What version of T:ANE are you using?

Last edited:
PC_Ace,

Thanks for taking a look at this. I am running build 90945 for TANE SP2. Does the different build have an effect?

Yes, I did clear all train brakes, using Q and E. All indicators were at the bottom except for the reverser, which showed forward, and throttle which I slowly increased, to no effect. I was using the D key to dump brakes, and they showed 0 for Flow and Brake Cylinder prior to my starting to increase the throttle.

"I was able to start the coal train without sanding in Cab-Mode as usual, despite the errors and warnings shown above.
After coupling to the rear of the train, I shifted focus to 'Alan' as the driver of the front SP SD45 power unit and released the brakes, etc. and slowly accelerated the train.

I did exactly as you noted, shifting to 'Alan" at the front, releasing brakes, etc., but as I tried to accelerate, the doggone thing wouldn't budge. In my test scenario, everything worked perfectly, and by throttle 2 the whole train was moving but moving slowly. I could slowly increase throttle and things worked perfectly. It is just in this in-game session that the train won't budge.

The problem with the save games is troubling as well, showing that something is messed up. I try to go to a save game for this session and for the ATSF East session and I am immediately dumped out of the game with no warning, and find myself staring at the desktop. My save games work just fine for other routes.

As a side note, a while back I downloaded the excellent Krashnburne route by Philskene and started the first session for that route. An AI-controlled ATSF SD40-2 pulled an empty consist of 6 container cars and 4 flats loaded with Volvo front-end loaders and dropped it on a siding for the player to work with. I pulled an SP SD40-2 onto the siding and coupled up, and could not budge the consist - they simply would not pull with a single engine, the same type as that which dropped the consist in the first place. It seemed the rolling stock were locked to the rails or had brakes locked. I tested the session a bit and deleted all the rolling stock, and then added the exact same ones to the session, with the same loads. Now they worked perfectly. I've no explanation other than some rolling stock is not playing nice with TANE.

Any help on all this is greatly appreciated.

Heinrich505

As added information, I just checked the other sessions and tried to save games with each one. Every time, for all the other sessions, I crash to desktop when trying to load a saved game. Something is definitely not right.
Heinrich505

Heinrich505 - Yes the build # matters in this case - 90945 was a particularly buggy build of T:ANE and many of the problems that appeared there have since been rectified in subsequent beta builds.
The list of fixes is quite long and includes many of the crash to desktop issues such as you have mentioned when attempting to load a saved game.
A new build is about to be dropped this week.
This will probably be your salvation on the matters you've raised above.
Please keep us informed. :)

PC_Ace,
Cool. I'll hope for the best. I'll keep you posted on this.
Does the build automatically load or do I have to do something to get it to load?

Heinrich505

I have a problem with the session "The DPU Push." What will happen is when I get to Caliente and wait for Train MBARRIC to pass it tells me to set out 3 cars. I click the uncouple button but it plays the "error" sound and doesn't uncouple, requiring me to go into Surveyor and uncouple it manually. Then, when I put it into a spur and uncouple they roll down the grade, when they are supposed to have a brake on. I ended up putting a locomotive behind the cars. When I went to couple back up to my train it didn't couple up.....I tried in surveyor to couple it up but the objective didn't complete. I've had to stop the session there because of this. Can someone please help?

Mojave Sub for TRS2019 Build 110491

Last edited:
Hi DARTrider,

I have eaxctly the very same issue with the he DPU Push. Had similar issue with missing ability to decople trainz, in another session. Antother memeber here identified that issue to be due to an prior update of Trainz. Seems that sesssions are developed in prior versions, that does not work with never versions of Trainz. It's a shame.

I'm running TRS2019 Build 114-841 here.

" I have a problem with the session "The DPU Push." What will happen is when I get to Caliente and wait for Train MBARRIC to pass it tells me to set out 3 cars. I click the uncouple button but it plays the "error" sound and doesn't uncouple"
Mojave Sub for TRS2019 Build 110491

Hi,

I was able to decouple the three (3) cars on the siding, by using the command "decouple" (CTRL + left mouose) - pointing on car next to the one to be decoupled and then move the loco and the thrre cars to the siding. However, when returing with the loco, it will not couple to the remaining part of the (long) consist. And not command can make it work.

I have also upgraded to BUILD 116-015 in TRS2019 no, but it did not help on these issues with this game. Still suspect that Mojave sessions were orginally made with a prior version that do not not work with TRS2019! Maybe someone can enlighten us on this?

Back