All this Southern Pacific Steam Power!

shebashetan7

The GS-4 Daylight, MK-5 2-8-2, MT-4 4-8-2, P-10 4-6-2, A6 4-4-2, GS-7 4-8-4 leased from Cotton Belt, SP-1/SP-2 4-10-2, and the massive 4-8-8-2 AC-12 cab-forward are all high-quality Southern Pacific steam locomotives that are available for Trainz. It is thanks to lilb, trainboi1, stevelerro and wgkandsk that we have a full roster of these locomotives at our service. I wonder aside from individual reasons, why SP steam is popular to model in this game?

Last edited:
I wonder aside from individual reasons, why SP steam is popular to model in this game?
Now that is the MOST silly question to ask.

Im-sorry-i-can39t-answer-that-question-meme-254.jpg

Don't we have that?

Maybe its because people like sp? I dont know. I mean, we do have a lot of steam fans out there and SP engines present themselves as a unique challenge.

I saw these 2 Trainz screenshots of Daylight on Facebook, and I was wondering if anybody knows if this engine and consist are private, or if they're available somewhere to download.

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

I belivethat those are from MRtrainz and are on The DLS and the PAssenger Cars are by someone else but are also on the DLS. Better quality youd be to Check out the Cars and Locomotives by Trainboi1 on the DLS and The GS4 fron Jointed rail

Those are a WIP by daylighttrain. They will be released as payware on The Backshops when they are finished.

But the AC-12 cabforward I know of was made by lilb,and if that is the same cabforward,how did they get permission?

Well ether way,here is an archive of the link for lilbs AC-12 cabforward originally hosted on steamtrainz,it is A Wayback Machine link,but the download is archived,and the locomotive works fine for me without adjustments in TS2010,TS12 and TANE.

But I did replace the whistle on the one I got for one that I thought sounded better.

Last edited:
Just downloaded the suggested AC-12 model, really good, especially like the detail of the "TISH TISH" sound when idling, reminds me of the audio system at the CSRM setup to make 4294 sound like shes steamed up and ready to go.

Only things i don't like:

Tender uses coal
Crew in the cab, while animated, looks bad
and i have to agree with railfan500CA, the whistle is pretty bad, nearly on par with trainz forges GTEL and the basic ES44AC models on the DLS.

I actually live just a short freeway drive away from the CSRM, been there and seen SP 4294, SP 2467, and SP 6051 plenty of times. Been inside the cab forwards cab plenty of times aswell. As one could expect, i have a affinity for SP steam:udrool: (UP steam too)

Anyway, now all i need is a "cab rear" (basically a cab forward in the more normal cab configuration, they also had GS-4s skyline and cowcatcher streamlining...for some reason) and i can die a happy trainzineer.

(P.S Where does that "TISH TISH" sound come from? I have heard it not only from old footage of cab forwards, but other steam engines, both real footage and trainz, as well. I would expect its some kind of air/steam regulator?)

Last edited:
Don't we have that?

Maybe its because people like sp? I dont know. I mean, we do have a lot of steam fans out there and SP engines present themselves as a unique challenge.

I thought up some reasons why:

SPecialization: From the start, SP had to deal with many forms of land and environs, from the cold and rocky donner pass, the southern deserts and the expansive farming valleys. This lead to SP having to preform various engineering feats, both for the routes they made and the engines that ran them, the cab fores and the SD45T-2s (SD45-2s modified so they would not overheat when heading through the tunnels and snowsheds on SPs system) being prime examples. SP also helped develop many technologies such as refrigerator cars (specifically its joint UP PFE fleet) to help get CAs produce to market.
SP had many interesting locomotives, not only their cab fores but also things like the K-M 4000 diesels

Paint: I have heard SPs daylight scheme be called the most beautiful railroad scheme in the US, something i do agree with. (despite me liking all US railroad paint schemes, and my belief that the best SP scheme was black widow)

Routes: SP had some of the most beautiful routes, from Donner pass to the techapi loop, and they had their beautiful daylight passenger trains to run through them.

Affects on the lands around their lines: SP left a major mark on the people and towns of CA, from helping link the state to the rest of the US, attracting new people to come to the state, and helping to turn the state into a major farming and economical powerhouse by helping move the states produce to country, and world wide markets.
One statistic that shows how big SP was in CA is the fact that at one point half the population of Sacramento, the capitol of the state, worked to some extent at the sac shops.

SP also heavily affected those who lived by their lines, and many old Californians can attest to seeing a SP train at one point in their lives, and i would not be surprised if the company inspired many to become railfans and hobbyists. I was certainly inspired (Well it was UP by the time i was born, but you get the idea)

So...yeah.....those are my ideas........kinda got abit long at the end there but...i think it got the point across.

(P.S did anyone see what i did with the word "specialization"? Anyone?)

Alright hang on to your pants cause I'm about to drop the SP bomb on y'all.

I have a GS-2, GS-6 and GS-64 megapack coming out soon on The Backshops yes, these are payware. Price has yet to be determined. We are currently waiting for licensing from UP before it can be released. And yes, you will be able to use PayPal to pay. The pack includes all GS-2, GS-6 and GS-64 engines in multiple variations and a full 1937 Coast Daylight consist for them plus the additional cars that showed up later on the train. I've also got a SP Lark set coming out later using these cars, but I've still got a lot of work left on them before I'm ready to post any pictures of them.

UODMmm5.jpg

Aside from the content listed above, I've also got a GS-4, GS-3 and potentially a GS-5 as well in the works. Right now I only have 4425 finished for the GS-3s and 4449 for the GS-4s. The roller bearing bogeys are done for the GS-5 but I haven't gotten them in game yet. Right now I have 4449 in her 1980's era appearance. Still on the fence about whether I want to keep my GS-4s and such private or release them, or if there is a demand for them or not.

10W7mzy.jpg

I've got a new AC-10/11/12 Cab Forward in the works, this is also going to be payware. Again price is undecided yet. Its really a test of my skills, I haven't built a articulated engine yet so this is kind of a experiment.

0bNqaNE.jpg

And lastly I also have a SP class M-6 2-6-0 in the works as well, this one is going to be freeware. Right now I'm just cycling between the Cab Forward and this to keep me from getting too burned out on one engine.

oZff0FJ.jpg

Are any of these on the DLS? I'm after SP Steam locos especially a cab forward. What author should I search for? :)

Wait a minute, why would you need a license from Union Pacific? Other people have released Southern Pacific content and they’ve never needed permission from Union Pacific.

Wait a minute, why would you need a license from Union Pacific? Other people have released Southern Pacific content and they’ve never needed permission from Union Pacific.

As freeware, yes. If you are releasing content that uses companies or the likeness of the Union Pacific (SP, WP, DRGW, etc.) you need permission from the UP since you are profiting off their trademarks. Freeware isn't for profit so you don't need licensing for that.

Back