TANE Steam?

dyoung1108

Hello all! New TANE owner here. I have just purchased the game and I am installing it now. The one I purchased was only for download from the website, but I see there is a steam version as well. Is there a way to convert this version over to steam so I can enjoy the benefits of using steam with all of my other games?

The short answer is no.

But there is nothing stopping you from buying the Steam version from Steam so you "can enjoy the benefits of using steam". As I am not a Steam user I have no idea what those benefits would be.

I know very little about the Steam version of TANE beyond the fact that it has a different build number to the latest TANE version from N3V and that Steam updates to TANE are released later (how much later I do not know) than updates direct from N3V.

I would have bought it on steam, but I paid much much much less than what the full price is for the game, just wasnt sure if it was "convertible", I know I can add it to steam as a non-steam game, but doesn't really help. The benefits are really mainly for custom content, not sure if that is available in this game, but it also allows easy downloads and purchasing of DLC, seeing updates, etc. Its just a game management platform really. Maybe later there will be an update to convert over to steam if wanted :)

AFAIK there is no Steam specific content for TANE. The DLS (Down Load Station - which has 100,000s of free content items or "assets") and the DLC (Down Load Content - the payware content) are easily accessible from within TANE. The Trainz Content Manager (the Manage Content button on the Launcher screen) will give you full access to the DLS and the Route Selector from the TANE main menu display will give you full access to the DLC.

As said select manage content and you can see what is installed or see what is available on the DLS. Highlight what you want and right click on it and select download, it's that easy. All content will install straight into the game.

Yea, its basically got its own built in management rather than using steam, just wish I could move it to steam, no worries. I just loaded this thing up and I cant do any tutorials, I get an error cant load on every single one, and when I go to the routes, everything there says I have to purchase it, how in the world do you play this game...

Have you entered your user details in the Trainz Setting --> Internet tab? Your username is dyoung1108 and password is the same one you use to log onto these forums.

That doesn't sound good. What build are you using (5-digit number on Launcher screen)? It's likely that you will need to install one or more patches.

I'd also make sure you've put your username and password in the Trainz Settings box on the Internet tab.

Shane

I closed the thing and re-opened and a screen came up that says asset downloiad and has a bunch of things in it, so i hit download all :) I dont know what happend before but I guess this is all the content in the one I bought..... I am on the newest SP2 build, I had already updated it and yes my user is in the tab as well. Hopefully this will fix it :) I am assuming its download all these tutorials now as well. Thanks for the help I will let you know if it doesnt work still...

No worries (the tutorials from memory are within one or two of the built-in routes - I can't remember off-hand which).

Shane

The Steam version has the advantage that you automatically get the latest version and will be seamlessly patched if/when N3V put out any more updates.

You also get up to two hours "trial" period with the software so you can change your mind, get a refund and Steam deletes it from your PC.

Disadvantages, well obviously Steam take a cut of the money so N3V don't get such a big cut - if that bothers you (it doesn't me!).

With Steam automatic updates as opposed to manual patching you cannot stay with an older version when it turns out N3V botched or nerfed their changes and the new version has more bugs than the old... ;)

I have very strong opinions on the steam edition of TANE, i wont go into detail due to my tendency to eh... say things that get people mad..
My answer for buying TANE on steam is the most solid NO i have ever spoken, i made the grave ,mistake of purchasing it on steam, not only was it more expensive, and N3V does not support that version of the game PERIOD.
When SP3 came out, both versions had received an update, however Steam users got a Bets version of SP3, and ever since the day it came out, not a single hot fix has came out for Steam edition.
there are numerous bugs with this outdated version we are stuck with,some of my least favorite include;
-Coupler slack is extremely violent when decoupled and under any form of tension or compression.
-kicking cars does not work, cars stop instantly when decoupled.
-AMD GPU users experience graphical glitches and game freezes
-Industries no longer produce loads, regardless of any manual production rate adjustment.

N3V has the power to seamlessly install any hotfixes anytime they want, but they simply havent kept up.
Steam build number: 94812
Standard build number: 94916
as you can tell , i am not very happy with this. i have already decided to repurchase the game when funds allow, but i do not want to have to do that...

Hi Sausbaus
The Trainz Store and Steam editions of Trainz will always have a different build numbers due to the requirements of Steam.

In this case, to ensure that the Steam edition's update was released close to the time of the Trainz Store edition, the Steam edition's update was generated by our system earlier. Between this time, and the Trainz Store update being generated, there were several other builds generated by our system. This will have included other development work that was ongoing around this time; and as such can account for quite a large difference in most cases.

However the functionality of both builds should be exactly the same.

We are working on the next update for TANE (TANE SP4), which we expect to become available fairly soon (it is currently in final testing). However I don't currently have on hand a list of exactly what fixes/changes are in this update.

That said, the AMD issues that are seen are, in the majority of cases, due to the AMD drivers crashing. Unfortunately we have not been able to find a work-around that we can implement in relation to this, as this is a driver issue.

As to the time between updates; we do not see any specific time restrictions on update releases. We would prefer to spend the time testing each update for as long as possible before release, rather than rushing out lots of hotfixes with minimal testing because the distribution systems allow us to ;)

Regards

Hello all! New TANE owner here. I have just purchased the game and I am installing it now. The one I purchased was only for download from the website, but I see there is a steam version as well. Is there a way to convert this version over to steam so I can enjoy the benefits of using steam with all of my other games?

Yeah, Steam's price is amazing compare to N3V store.
BUT we need to always have internet access to play TANE or TRS.

I also have TANE SP4 Col Edition but no need internet access to play it. I need only when I need to download from DLC. This is because leak of internet speed in my area. So I prefer buy boxed edition.

The second think is, we can't keep Trainz serial number for anticipating re-installing windows in future.
I think I will not buy from steam anymore.

Just curious. Do you realise that the quote in your post is from an original post made just over 3 and a half years ago and the post just before yours was made just over 3 years ago. It always pays to look at the date (or at least the year) on a post before responding.

This, of course, takes nothing away from the points made in your post.

Just saying.

Its old, but there is a direct answer to his question nobody mentioned:
[FONT=&quot]
a3kSW12.png

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
bUVMWoZ.png
[/FONT]

If it was a game that was only available on Steam, I could see why you would have to use Steam but once you've bought and installed a stand-alone version of Trainz direct from the manufacturer, why would anyone want to shackle it to Steam? You already have access to the DLS with all of the objects free for the taking. You have access to the official forums with all the discussions, from highly technical to whimsical.

It would seem that Steam has been successful in spreading their propaganda that they should "manage YOUR games." and N3V has been lacking in getting out the message that it is not difficult to do it yourself. There may be occasions when some people have an update that glitches and it has to be done again. At least no one is forced to update if they are comfortable at the version they are using and don't see the need to change.

ONe other curious ? why does the odd version I bought in STeam (T12) not show up in my forum track line (ie TS12 doesnt appear before my TANE and TRS19) even though I have entered the steam serial number into my profile page on the TRAINZ "my account" where it just sits doing nothing.. Seems pointless entering the code then

Adding a non-Steam game to the Steam client allows you to take advantage of the social media features of the client. Like being able to not only chat with your friends while playing but also allowing them to watch you play and hear you talking. It also allows you to use the screenshot feature to post videos and screenshots to the Steam Community for the game while playing. Not a big deal for many of us but for the youngsters that have their lives spread across the Internet already, it seems to be a selling point for Steam.

Back