Some Of My Cars Can't Get Kicked Down The Hump - Any Reason For That?

I notice there are 2 types of Rail cars: Those with the Apply Brake/ Release Brake option and those which don't have the brake options. The cars without the options have no problem rolling away after I uncouple and then stop the engine. However, the railcars with the options will not this. Even when I click on the Release Brake option on a car before uncoupling, it comes to a dead stop. Any reason for this? Am I forgetting something? Those types of cars stop after passing by the auto de-coupler and I can't push it. Won't budge. I suppose I need to check which cars don't have the Brake options and use those cars for the Hump only. Correct? I'm also aware that some cars simply cannot or are not allowed to go down a Hump, so maybe that too might be it. I talked about this before months ago, so I apologize for bringing this up again.

Last edited:
I never had a problem in TRS2006 ... In TS12 I ran across problems with non-rolling/slow rolling railcars

How many different railcars do this ? What are their names ?

Last edited:
I never had a problem in TRS2006 ... In TS12 I ran across problems with non-rolling/slow rolling railcars

How many different railcars do this ? What are their names ?

So far I noticed the newer Cargill Foods tank cars I got from JR as well the 60ft High Cube CP box cars I also got from JR. Not blaming them, I'm just saying these are the cars that cannot be kicked down the track and they also have the Apply Brake/Release Brake option. What's strange is when the cars come to a dead stop, their wheels are still rolling and you hear them moving but the car is not moving. Another bug perhaps? Some earlier non JR beer can CGTX tank cars cannot be kicked either.

Last edited:
So it is just JR railcars ? Not dat' dare' is anything wrong wit' dat' :cool: (reference to Sienfeld "he refuses to wear the ribbon" episode)

No I think it's in some other railcars that are not from JR. I'll do some testing in the next while of hoppers, boxes, flats, gondolas, tanks, auto carriers and center beams. Then I'll list them here or I'll place them in a separate thread that will be titled "Rail Cars That Cannot Be Kicked".

Agreed. Yea I'll do that. And if anyone else knows of any cars that can't be kicked down a track but just dropped off in a stop position, they can list them here. Not sure if T:ANE has Hump Yards or whether they abandoned the car kicking option or not.

In TRS2006 railcars always rolled away easily, even from a stopped train ... TS12 requires a steeper hill for railcars to roll downhill, and the consist must be in motion ... IDK about T:ANE railcar physics

Check the brakes on the JR freight cars. I think there's an option to release the brakes on them by CTRL+right-clicking (Option+right clicking on the MAC I think).

Check the brakes on the JR freight cars. I think there's an option to release the brakes on them by CTRL+right-clicking (Option+right clicking on the MAC I think).

Could it also have something to do with the direction arrows as well when it comes to the locomotives? In other words if I am moving the cars West down the Hump but the direction arrow of the train is facing East, might that hinder operations?

Could it also have something to do with the direction arrows as well when it comes to the locomotives? In other words if I am moving the cars West down the Hump but the direction arrow of the train is facing East, might that hinder operations?

It might, but I doubt it. Trainz can be weird that way, but direction usually affects locomotives only.

Yea that makes sense if it would just be the locomotives.

Actually, so far from what I tested, the direction arrows make the difference. If I'm kicking the car's west down the hump, the direction arrows of my train is not facing west also, some of the cars will halt immediately after uncoupling. So I have to face the direction arrows in the same direction of the hump I plan to shunt the cars down through. If the arrow is green facing east away from the hump, I have to switch the arrow so it's green facing west towards the hump. Meant to post this sooner but was too bogged down with other things.

Actually, so far from what I tested, the direction arrows make the difference. If I'm kicking the car's west down the hump, the direction arrows of my train is not facing west also, some of the cars will halt immediately after uncoupling. So I have to face the direction arrows in the same direction of the hump I plan to shunt the cars down through. If the arrow is green facing east away from the hump, I have to switch the arrow so it's green facing west towards the hump. Meant to post this sooner but was too bogged down with other things.

Yes, train direction does make the difference with these cars. Happens also in flat switching on my test route. For example, after running around the train you have to change train direction or you get a high air flow and no brake release. Releasing manually does not fix it. Uncouple from that car and all returns to normal. Recouple and you're back where you were. After running around I've been releasing the brake manually and have not really looked to see if it matters after changing direction. Good target for the next run...

:B~)

Last edited:
That's a good find, Thomas on the car direction. I must try that myself.

Has anyone else noticed the big jump when cars are uncoupled, or coupled as if these couplers are N-scale Magna-Matic(r) couplers. :)

I wonder too if this is directional with some cares doing this and others not - Notes to self to test this and report back.

Yes, train direction does make the difference with these cars. Happens also in flat switching on my test route. For example, after running around the train you have to change train direction or you get a high air flow and no brake release. Releasing manually does not fix it. Uncouple from that car and all returns to normal. Recouple and you're back where you were. After running around I've been releasing the brake manually and have not really looked to see if it matters after changing direction. Good target for the next run...

OK, it's all very strange but the train direction is clearly key. Seems to occur every other run-around on the flat. Haven't worked out the logic on that....

To kick the car change train direction to the direction of kick and ensure the handbrake is released before the shove.

That's a good find, Thomas on the car direction. I must try that myself.

Has anyone else noticed the big jump when cars are uncoupled, or coupled as if these couplers are N-scale Magna-Matic(r) couplers. :)

I wonder too if this is directional with some cares doing this and others not - Notes to self to test this and report back.

Yes, it's not just you, be interested to hear what you find.

Back