Windows 10 Spring (2018) Creators Update

pware

Trainz Veteran
The Windows 10 Spring Creators Update for 2018 (but it should be called the "Autumn" Update for 2018 for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere) is now out. It just installed itself on my laptop without even me knowing it was being downloaded!

The first thing I noticed was an app popping up asking me about new privacy settings. Then it told me to reboot for an update.

There are a host of new and improved features.

• A timeline for your desktop. This lets you open documents, files, etc at the places where you were when you last closed the document. A few programs already have this feature (Notepad++ for example) but this is now extended to other programs and apps.
  • Near Share which allows you to share files, contacts and URLs with other devices via bluetooth, Also a new "Quick Pairing" feature that makes it easier to connect to nearby bluetooth devices.
  • Improvements to the look and operation of the Windows UI and apps lists
  • A new diagnostic data viewer so you can see the diagnostic data that Windows collects about your computer
  • The ability to set download limits for foreground apps. This feature has previously only been available for background tasks, such as downloading updates.
  • Better privacy controls, particularly over the apps that can have access to your documents
  • Improvements to the My People Hub
  • Progressive Web Apps - these are web based apps that can behave like normal apps.
  • More fonts settings and controls.
  • Priority settings for notifications. You can mute the notifications that pop up in Windows and assign them priority levels.
  • More features and controls for Microsoft Edge.
  • Multi-GPU settings. This one could affect Trainz. You can assign different GPU performance levels (low, medium, high) to different programs.
  • New organiser and other features for Contana.
  • A startup apps control. You can assign apps to the startup list.

Seems to be working quite well (so far).

Last edited:
So, is this good or bad? Bullet point 4 got my attention.

I don't mind living on the "edge" but not for Windows.

Yes - that's a solid build with some worthwhile improvements. The new startup apps control (last thing you mentioned) is one of the best incremental changes to the Windows Start button. Makes one-click access
to your preferred programs even easier.
Greater visibility of available fonts is good too.
Many exciting new developments in the current Insiders builds to look out for as well, including tabbed File Explorer 'Windows'...

Evening Pware, thanks for excellence Recap on Wins Creator update.

Since I'm a Dos Ver 2.0 Operator before Windows ever existed on 80286SX machines, you can't trust Windows on anything, it has always created numerous headaches for Home PC folks, well anyone that used GUI systems after it was presented to DOS (Disk Operating System) users.

I liked Windows from the first roll out, but Windows was sneaky how what it did behind the scenes.

And now it has advanced to the point that the Creators felt it was better for Windows to do it's updates behind the curtain, and not tell us till after it was done....That in theory, was do because we humans could be counted on for installing necessary updates. So now Windows will do it for us.....

As for the new changes, I hope they work as intended, and I like several of them. However my machine comes later in the Update Que, so it might be a few months before I see my machine updated.

So far only one of my three Win 10 machines has received the update but I have not encountered any problems yet.

I like the fact that the Wi-Fi button shows which Wi-Fi network you are connected to - a minor point but sometimes I forget.

This is tempting me back to using Windows 10 again. Might install Windows 10 on a seperate partition and test all the new features :udrool:

I am at;

'Edition' = Windows Pro 10
'Version' = 1709
'OS Build' = 16299.309

And today, everything is good to go, no issues. Google says I have the latest edition.

Should be on 1709 OS Build 16299.334 so not up to date. you are missing the March 22nd cumulative update.
Google doesn't know everything or get it correct ;o)

The Spring Creators update will be 1803 and it's not supposed to be appearing until the 10th although some seem to be getting it, probably through Insider accounts, I can but haven't got round to it. Don't actually need to be running an insider version just have the account ;o)

Okay, my bad, just did a Windows update, did not take too long.

Now at;

'Edition' = Windows Pro 10
'Version' = 1709
'OS Build' = 16299.334

If i see anything bad will report back.

This is tempting me back to using Windows 10 again. Might install Windows 10 on a seperate partition and test all the new features :udrool:

Just my opinion, be real careful. I have a Windows 8 that is now a brick by updating. IMO it's better to buy a new unit that is made for Windows 10, rather than updating.

Edited --> Had something to do with having a SSD drive and using a USB backup, then upgrading.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, be real careful. I have a Windows 8 that is now a brick by updating. IMO it's better to buy a new unit that is made for Windows 10, rather than updating.

Edited --> Had something to do with having a SSD drive and using a USB backup, then upgrading.
My gaming PC can run Windows 10 nicely, but i had so many issues with UAC on it and other issues that i went back to Windows 7. I can install Windows 10 again onto one of my 4 internal drives, one having nothing on it atm, but that'd kill my boot order and how my computers setup is rn.

My laptop is showing...

Edition = "Windows Home 10"
Version = "1803"
Installed on = "06/04/2018" - that is in dd/mm/yyyy format
OS build = "17133.1"

My laptop is showing...

Edition = "Windows Home 10"
Version = "1803"
Installed on = "06/04/2018" - that is in dd/mm/yyyy format
OS build = "17133.1"

So you have an inside line to MS? just kidding. It does look a little wierd, so all your numbers for Home are beyond Pro?

Version 1803 and Build 17133.1 are the same build as is currently being evaluated by Windows Insiders Program users in the Slow Ring.
It is a superb and stable iteration of Windows, with many new features and improvements.

For example, try bringing up emojis using [Windows Key] + [;] whilst you are entering text here in this forum using Edge browser. Works in Word, Excel, Twitter, etc

Last edited:
I registered my laptop sometime ago for the "slow ring" insiders program so it gets these types of updates after the "fast ring" insiders but before everyone else.

Just tried bringing up emojis using [Windows Key] + [;] here using Firefox and it worked ����. Too easy!

EDIT: But alas, the emojis don't seem to like vBulletin forum software.

Yeah - sorry about that - I found that too after I posted the above message. Still works elsewhere, though.
One day, our forum software will catch up with the rest of the Internet...

I've been in the Insiders Preview fast ring for so long that I can't remember exactly when I joined. I actually use it in a VM, built for testing the Insider Previews, but I have installed the preview on my gaming PC as well (temporarily threw it in the fast ring, downloaded 1803, then threw it back in to the release preview ring). I haven't tried using the Task View/Timelines, but only because I don't have a use for it at the moment.

I've stayed out of the Insider Program for sometime because I want machine stability. I'll patiently wait for the update to happen after everyone else is done testing. :)

Back