Do height numbers correspond to any distance?

malaru

When you edit heights of terrain or track you enter a relatively low number- like with the hump yard i put the crest of the hump at 8 - but does it mean anything- directly? I noticed that nomatter if im using imperial or metric units- 8 is 8.

My only guess i been able to make is that it is always in metric. but does correspond to a set metric height. - but that if you want to make it so may feet high you have to convert and use the mtric equivalent. 8 = 8 meters =26 feet. - 1 = 1 meter = 31/3 feet am I close?

All the measurements when building are in meters even if you set the measurements to Imperial measurements, which only apply to driving and to the rulers.

Your math is very close. One meter = 3.28 feet so 8 meters = 26.25 feet. The 1/4 foot is negligible for our purposes.

There are various accurate height rulers available to you both built in and available from the DLS.

One of the best to my mind is <kuid:135014:100070> Ruler - Vertical 30m. Both imperial and metric are clearly defined, accurate measurements are easily determined to three inches. V. useful for determining road to rail bridge heights and many other applications.

If you need horizontal imperial measurements, then I suggest <kuid2:60238:202:1> Ruler 200 Feet, or <kuid2:60238:204:1> Ruler 100 Feet.
Both these latter two have splined ends and can be joined one to the other to make any length you wish, and once joined can be moved around the board as one single item. They can also be rotated to quite fine limits.
Hope this helps you out.
One meter equals 3 foot 3 & 1/4 inches, OR 39 + 1/4 inches.

Last edited:
There are various accurate height rulers available to you both built in and available from the DLS.

One of the best to my mind is <kuid:135014:100070> Ruler - Vertical 30m. Both imperial and metric are clearly defined, accurate measurements are easily determined to three inches. V. useful for determining road to rail bridge heights and many other applications.

If you need horizontal imperial measurements, then I suggest <kuid2:60238:202:1> Ruler 200 Feet, or <kuid2:60238:204:1> Ruler 100 Feet.
Both these latter two have splined ends and can be joined one to the other to make any length you wish, and once joined can be moved around the board as one single item. They can also be rotated to quite fine limits.
Hope this helps you out.
One meter equals 3 foot 3 & 1/4 inches, OR 39 + 1/4 inches.
Great set of rulers. Thanks

No problem I'm happy to help out. Forgot to say, all those rulers are height adjustable. The horizontal ones will automatically follow your contours too. Can be a good advantage but also sometimes not so good as they split at the spline points and subsequent movement of the ruler, just sometimes, results in a complete separation especially if the ruler is moved at speed.
You will soon learn their anomalies and quirks but generally I find them quite excellent.
kind regards
John P.

Back