Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Screenshots of Ben Dorsey's creations

Ben created 115 mine industries with names like Badger, Cash, Bobcat, East Terrible, Iron Bottom, and Fortunate. Almost all interactive, many animated.
    Last edited by normhart; April 26th, 2018 at 08:38 PM.
    Dear Louisiana,
    Thank you for sending us all your intelligent women.
    With Love,
    California.

Thumbs up

Hello Dan,

Just got back from 16 days Cruise to Spain and UK areas was trying to find my Thread to update this morning, and ran across your new Thread.......... My body is still on UK time awoke at 1:00AM PST Time, so what better place to come explore than Trainz Forum!

I think this is quite appropriate for our departed friend, Ben Dorsey. So glad you created the thread to showcase this magnificent creator's accomplishments.

Thank you for your diligent effort here to remind others who might not know of our Gentle Giant of mans efforts creating truly remarkable assets.......The King of Trestles

Hope you are doing well and your Route as well........

Cheers!

this is one of Ben's fuel depots on my freelance DRGW line .

WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

the fully interactive Black Dragon mine loader, on the Uintah Railway circa 1928.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Ben's sprayers,

He has done 6 that I know of. Shown on danddhud's excellent Powder River Basin Route.
    Last edited by normhart; May 20th, 2018 at 08:40 AM.
    Dear Louisiana,
    With Love,
    California.

I have a few of these sprayers in use at coalmines, but they spray all the time.

I would like to see, just like other industries, that it's only active when a wagon is entering the unit.

Is that possible or does that mean we need a complete new sprayer unit?

ASUS Z170-A, Intel I7 6700, 16GB, W7 Ultimate
    GTX970 4GB, Z960-5.1, G19, G13, G930, RailDriver
    TANE Dlx SP3
    www.battlechip.nl

Quote Originally Posted by Richarde57 View Post
    I have a few of these sprayers in use at coalmines, but they spray all the time.

I would like to see, just like other industries, that it's only active when a wagon is entering the unit.

Is that possible or does that mean we need a complete new sprayer unit?

<kuid2:210518:11174:1> Coal_Dust_Sprayer_3
    <kuid2:210518:11175:1> Coal_Dust_Sprayer_4

Both contain drencher.gs which is a script to trigger the spray for loaded coal cars. Unfortunately it either does not work in TANE or it only works for certain cars or certain coal commodities.

msgsapper's <kuid2:439337:101616:2> SAP_Livestock_Drencher_Interactive_with_effects does the same thing for cattle cars and uses the same script modified. I have not tested it in TANE as yet.

Ben's sprayers are on my list to see if I can fix but I have doubts of my competence.

Edit: Looking at the drencher.gs I see that it checks each car to see if it matches certain car types (Catagory Class "XHB", "XHC", "XHR", "XHS") and if the cars are loaded. It does not appear to check for the type of load. I see no reason why it is not functioning.
    Last edited by normhart; May 20th, 2018 at 09:00 PM.
    Dear Louisiana,
    With Love,
    California.

Hes gone, but his work lives on ! The coal tipple at Carbonera on the Uintah railway.

Blog Entries

Dangavel, is that coal tipple a special made for you by Ben or is it available on the DLS?
    John,
    (A bear of little brain)

Quote Originally Posted by teddytoot View Post
    Dangavel, is that coal tipple a special made for you by Ben or is it available on the DLS?
    Ben put everything online, so its up on the DLS, look for carbonera tipple . beware though, its a weird asset, you cant drive an engine through the tipple due to low clearance ! there's only enough height for the cars to enter the tipple itself. in fact i'm pretty sure that number 51 has a timber balk going right through her middle in that screenshot i posted, I forgot the tipple is a bit strange compared to most others but thats the Uitah for you , it did things it own way. !

Blog Entries

Thanks, I've now got it.
    John,
    (A bear of little brain)

I managed to find one photo of the Carbonera Coaling Station, on e-bay, and Ben's model seems correct. Including the low beam across the track closer to the mine entrance. I would speculate that this was not a through track but rather a siding on which gondolas were loaded and stored. Locomotives were probably restricted to the outer track except when moving cars on the siding. Locomotive coaling was probably only done on the outer track. In fact, judging from the photo, there wasn't clearance for even a caboose or high sided gondola.

Edit: Found a public domain version of the photo;

Caption: Tipple of Gilson Asphaltum Company's Carbonera mines. Garfield County, Colorado. 1927. - ID. Erdmann, CE 276 - ece00276 - US Geological Survey - Public domain image File

Note that in the ebay version it is obvious that, as in Ben's version, the chute for the inner track is lower for filling gondolas and the outer chute is higher for filling tenders.
    Last edited by normhart; July 30th, 2018 at 10:07 AM.
    Dear Louisiana,
    With Love,
    California.

Quote Originally Posted by normhart View Post
    I managed to find one photo of the Carbonera Coaling Station, on e-bay, and Ben's model seems correct. Including the low beam across the track closer to the mine entrance. I would speculate that this was not a through track but rather a siding on which gondolas were loaded and stored. Locomotives were probably restricted to the outer track except when moving cars on the siding. Locomotive coaling was probably only done on the outer track. In fact, judging from the photo, there wasn't clearance for even a caboose or high sided gondola.

Edit: Found a public domain version of the photo;

Caption: Tipple of Gilson Asphaltum Company's Carbonera mines. Garfield County, Colorado. 1927. - ID. Erdmann, CE 276 - ece00276 - US Geological Survey - Public domain image File

Note that in the ebay version it is obvious that, as in Ben's version, the chute for the inner track is lower for filling gondolas and the outer chute is higher for filling tenders.
    i can assure you this asset is as accurate as we could get it Norm , as is everything that we have created for the route. It took months to research the buildings Both tracks are through tracks , there were no sidings at carbonara .most loading on the uintah was done by utilising gravity, as almost every foot was on an incline, the dump cars were rolled down into position by brakemen, filled up, then the process repeated. Locos were restricted to the outer track. A very strange setup, but the uintah liked to do things their way. There are about a dozen images of the tipple , and the whole thing is described in detail in Rodger polleys excellent book on the railroad