Screenshots of Ben Dorsey's creations

dangavel

Just thought that it would be an appropriate memorial to Ben to have a thread to remember his creations.
JBYqZv5.jpg

The water Tank at Shale on the Uintah Railway
lyIJWE9.jpg

The 7.5 % grade bridge 31a in Baxter Pass.
vg59m0A.jpg

the coaling tipple at Carbonera.
Finally , probably his last major bridge, the 600 foot bridge 69a crossing the Green river Utah
uqWrIfr.jpg

5yXm1Vm.jpg

Last edited:
He was the King of Bridges.

yes., he was never happier then when making a good bridge , fortunately with the Uintah he had a chance to make lots and when I decided to make the never created extension, he had the freedom to make about a dozen or so freelance large trestles . He was happy as a pig in muck doing those and he could churn them out so quickly. He also was happy making older structures, especially for narrow gauge, those of us in the steam and NG community have lost a huge contributor now hes gone . He was thinking of making many structures for some branches of the South Park line which I was considering doing after i'd completed the Uintah :-(

Well, almost every screenshot contains one of Ben's creation. He did every Railway building I have on my proto route Quebec Central and many houses for it upon plans and photos. Here is an example: The coal tower, water tower, sand tower and sand house, roundhouse, bus garage, house with dormer are all from Ben.
WDT1FhB.jpg

Last edited:
I like the idea!

Took some minor research, but these are some of his items I used on my released routes:

Ben-Dorseys-creations.jpg

The bridge is Ben's "Seaford Swing Bridge 2".

But he didn't do only bridges:
Ben-Dorseys-creations.jpg

The buildings are Ben's; Lumber Yard Office, Lumber Yard Warehouse 1 and 2.

Can you imagine just how big a route it would be, if one created a upward spiraling "Bendorsey Land" route, with well over 6778 bridges and trestles ?

Some of his assets are redundant, and are many multiple duplicates of the exact same bridge, with several minor changes

I have reskined some of is assets with a uniform color texture, because they have one checkerboard texture overall

Screen_001.jpg

Last edited:

Ben's St. Louis bridge assets stand majestically over the Mississippi River in downtown Lewiston, Missouri,
as a Public Belt transfer from North Lewiston rolls into Lesperance Street Yard on the MoPac side of town.

J4xQQ4t.jpg

Mainly Ben Dorsey, some altered to suit for what I wanted, that was the genius of his creations.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

evilcrow

Ben did over 160 assets for the White Pass & Yukon Route by Jango, including Bridges, Snow sheds, Buildings and 19 industries; stations, watertanks, and coal tipples.

He also did over 125 WP&Y rolling stock items shown above.

And what is probably the largest animated functional coal tipple in trainz. He also did many more assets for WP&Y future extensions.

Last edited:
Back in October 2017 both normhart and I were looking (seperately) at coal loading solutions for our different projects.

In stepped Ben to help Norm and myself.

Ben made me some small clamshell buckets all I needed to find was one of his bridge cranes.

Talk about needle in a haystack! Ben was prolific, eventually I found one that suited my cause.
I showed it to Ben and his reply was "Gadzooks - another item I don't remember making."
No surprise he forgot with so many variations.

Thread here,

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?141459-Clam-shell-crane-hoist&highlight=clamshell

but sadly lots of pics missing because of photobucket's greed.

New-Coal-Loader%21.jpg

Thanks Ben, you will never be forgotten.

on a "under construction " section of the route, this is a series of three freelance Dorsey bridges on the Bonanza extension following evacuation creek on the Uintah Rwy . The rolling stock is all Ben's creation too apart from the locos .
sp4vpBU.jpg

Ben's buildings were central to my PRR Wilmington Shops

He made several transfer tables and the buildings to go with them

He made some of the largest coal tipples in trainz and some of the most innovative

and several turntables & roundhouses including this massive 360 degree roundhouse (one of three) with a turntable so big that I have only found one locomotive that won't fit on it. The fictional UP 8000 on the left.

Last edited:
He made several transfer tables and the buildings to go with them

Norm,

THAT looks really nice!

May I ask which kuids are used to make this?
Except all the locos, just the table and the buildings please..

I would like to create the same scene.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Sure,

On the right <kuid2:210518:10942:2> Bayshore_Machine_&_Erecting_Shop with <kuid2:210518:300618:1> Bayshore_Traversing_Crane inside

In the center <kuid2:210518:10934:1> Bayshore_Transfer_Table

On the left rear <kuid2:210518:10941:2> Bayshore_Tank_&_Boiler_Shop_2

On the left front <kuid2:210518:7617:3> Engine_Complex_Part_7

Ben's Bayshore set consists of 11 buildings and his Engine Complex set consists of 13 buildings.

I have plans to add the freight and passenger car shops at Wilmington eventually. :D

This is Ben's Engine Complex set plus some bits and pieces.

The large transfer table in the front left is not part of the Engine Complex set nor are the three Full Circle Roundhouses on the right front which were all made by Ben too.

Here are a couple of Ben's Engine Complex buildings in my New Haven route. One of Ben's Ash hoists is on the right.

Last edited:
Back