Screenshots of Ben Dorsey's creations

I managed to find one photo of the Carbonera Coaling Station, on e-bay, and Ben's model seems correct. Including the low beam across the track closer to the mine entrance. I would speculate that this was not a through track but rather a siding on which gondolas were loaded and stored. Locomotives were probably restricted to the outer track except when moving cars on the siding. Locomotive coaling was probably only done on the outer track. In fact, judging from the photo, there wasn't clearance for even a caboose or high sided gondola.

Edit: Found a public domain version of the photo;

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Caption: Tipple of Gilson Asphaltum Company's Carbonera mines. Garfield County, Colorado. 1927. - ID. Erdmann, CE 276 - ece00276 - US Geological Survey - Public domain image File

Note that in the ebay version it is obvious that, as in Ben's version, the chute for the inner track is lower for filling gondolas and the outer chute is higher for filling tenders.

Last edited:
I managed to find one photo of the Carbonera Coaling Station, on e-bay, and Ben's model seems correct. Including the low beam across the track closer to the mine entrance. I would speculate that this was not a through track but rather a siding on which gondolas were loaded and stored. Locomotives were probably restricted to the outer track except when moving cars on the siding. Locomotive coaling was probably only done on the outer track. In fact, judging from the photo, there wasn't clearance for even a caboose or high sided gondola.

Edit: Found a public domain version of the photo;

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Caption: Tipple of Gilson Asphaltum Company's Carbonera mines. Garfield County, Colorado. 1927. - ID. Erdmann, CE 276 - ece00276 - US Geological Survey - Public domain image File

Note that in the ebay version it is obvious that, as in Ben's version, the chute for the inner track is lower for filling gondolas and the outer chute is higher for filling tenders.
i can assure you this asset is as accurate as we could get it Norm , as is everything that we have created for the route. It took months to research the buildings Both tracks are through tracks , there were no sidings at carbonara .most loading on the uintah was done by utilising gravity, as almost every foot was on an incline, the dump cars were rolled down into position by brakemen, filled up, then the process repeated. Locos were restricted to the outer track. A very strange setup, but the uintah liked to do things their way. There are about a dozen images of the tipple , and the whole thing is described in detail in Rodger polleys excellent book on the railroad

Back