E-L numberboard font

acyunczyk

Virtual railroader
Hello,
I am working on a reskin of an Erie Lackawanna E8. However, I have gotten stuck on finding the correct font as used in the numberboards. Here is a photo:

Also, I am looking for the font on the 'Radio Equipped' graphic (under the cab window) and all fonts used by the E-L.
Thank you.

The number font is Eurostile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurostile

The Radio Equipped is awfully indistinct in so many pictures! This might help...

EL%201700-CThomason.jpg

Sorry whitepass, I am not good doing things by hand in Photoshop. May it work to get a photo of that unit and copy and paste it onto my reskin?

Also, colors and fonts on CNJ RS-3, F-M, Geeps, and F-units in green/yellow scheme? I'm now working on the CNJ commuter lines around the early 1960s.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It looks like the CNJ used 3 different fonts for their number boards on the different engines.

One font looks like Eurostile while the others look to be one of the other Gothic fonts such as News or Helvetica. It's hard to tell without seeing them at a larger size.

What about roadname fonts and exact colors?

You may want to contact the historical societies who may have information like that usually for model builders. I know that the Delaware and Hudson Historical Society does, for example, and so do the New Haven, and Boston and Maine.

The reason is they would have paint colors, fonts, and other information related to the railroads, which is very difficult to glean from the photos due to fading, low resolution, angle between the photographer and the locomotive, and other things.

That font is quite nice for formal writing. Did you manage to sort it out? I find so many fonts online that claim to be working right and free, but I never managed to use them when it comes to writing anything at all. It would be nice for a change to find fonts that would cut straight to the point. Most of the sites out there are click baiting without providing any value to your time spent on their domain. The only font I found working on a reliable site I'm usually using to get new ones is the thinking of Betty font which has been a great addition when I want to write about style and fashion.

Last edited:
Back