Undecorated Locos

Does anyone have any suggestions on some good Trainz 12 undec locos I could download from DLS or purchase as payware for painting new Locos? I downloaded some Trainz 10 locos that look really cheezy. Maybe they were earlier versions of Trainz, I don't know.

For reskinning, the content does not have to be "undecorated". You could replace the current texture files with your own.
If your goal is to re-release to altered content, be sure to first check with the creator of the original if you are allowed to do so.

For reskinning, the content does not have to be "undecorated". You could replace the current texture files with your own.
If your goal is to re-release to altered content, be sure to first check with the creator of the original if you are allowed to do so.

I hear yu. I will certainly ask the permission of the original owner if I am to upload a reskin of their asset. I suppose I could find a way to turn the tga file, that is a UP model for example, to an undec unit. One guy did that on a YouTube video when he was showing how he reskins unit. He turned a BNSF unit to an undec unit. I have to figure out how he did that.

Author davesnow has several undecorated TS12 locomotives worth a look at.

A few examples are

GP15-1 Undecorated 4 ARN DES - davesnow
25th February 2018

Description
GP15-1 Undecorated with FOUR ARN Numbers.Type: Locomotives | Version: TS12 | KUID2: <KUID2:101046:104646:4> | Filesize: 22.56 MB | File Type: .cdp | Downloads: 124

SW10 Undecorated DES - davesnow
9th November 2016

Description
SW10 switcher Undecorated.

A complete history of this locomotive can be found at http://utahrails.net/articles/up-sw10s.php.Type: Locomotives | Version: TS12 | KUID: <KUID:101046:103258> | Filesize: 2.5 MB | File Type: .cdp | Downloads: 495

GP38-2 Undecorated DES - davesnow
1st August 2015

Description
GP38-2 Undecorated

Type: Locomotives | Version: TS12 | KUID2: <KUID2:101046:102614:1> | Filesize: 18.86 MB | File Type: .cdp | Downloads: 1187

Last edited:
There are allot of "Cheezy" reskins uploaded to the DLS ... It will take years for you to get anywhere near to making quality reskins, worthy of uploading to the DLS, or redistributing to others

There are allot of "Cheezy" reskins uploaded to the DLS ... It will take years for you to get anywhere near to making quality reskins, worthy of uploading to the DLS, or redistributing to others

And why is that? Why will it take "years" until I get "anywhere near" to making quality reskins, worthy of uploading to the DLS, or redistributing to others? Is that the usual/average time it takes for content creators? Is that how long it took you? When I used the term "cheezy", I was referring to the graphics, not the craftsmanship. I could have been more specific with what I meant behind the word "cheezy" in my earlier post. Then again, I could have used a different word than "cheezy". So I'll work with what I can worth with.

Last edited:
Author davesnow has several undecorated TS12 locomotives worth a look at.

A few examples are

GP15-1 Undecorated 4 ARN DES - davesnow
25th February 2018

Description
GP15-1 Undecorated with FOUR ARN Numbers.Type: Locomotives | Version: TS12 | KUID2: <KUID2:101046:104646:4> | Filesize: 22.56 MB | File Type: .cdp | Downloads: 124

SW10 Undecorated DES - davesnow
9th November 2016

Description
SW10 switcher Undecorated.

A complete history of this locomotive can be found at http://utahrails.net/articles/up-sw10s.php.Type: Locomotives | Version: TS12 | KUID: <KUID:101046:103258> | Filesize: 2.5 MB | File Type: .cdp | Downloads: 495

GP38-2 Undecorated DES - davesnow
1st August 2015

Description
GP38-2 Undecorated

Type: Locomotives | Version: TS12 | KUID2: <KUID2:101046:102614:1> | Filesize: 18.86 MB | File Type: .cdp | Downloads: 1187

Right on! Thank you sir. I will look into it.

I would guess that to paint and weather a loco would take @ a month ... some of these guys weather a loco with paint chips, and rust, soot, oil drippings, and acid corrosion around the battery box ... they look so real that it looks like you could get a case of tetanus by touching them

I have seen some reskins on the DLS that look as if a "painting elephant" had dunked them in a bucket of thick florescent, dark blue, or pink, paint, with 100% opacity, covering up all details, wiping rivets, doors, hatch's and hinges completely out. I have seen spatter paint jobs that look like a loco was run at 200 mph right through a huge mountain of cow flops

I even saw a guy paint a TGV in PRR Tuscan Red and PRR Brunswick Green livery :hehe: (Oh wait ... That was Me)

I downloaded 3 routes from the DLS that looked as if a baby chimp had laid track

Last edited:
I would guess that to paint and weather a loco would take @ a month ... some of these guys weather a loco with paint chips, and rust, soot, oil drippings, and acid corrosion around the battery box ... they look so real that it looks like you could get a case of tetanus by touching them

I have seen some reskins on the DLS that look as if a "painting elephant" had dunked them in a bucket of thick florescent, dark blue, or pink, paint, with 100% opacity, covering up all details, wiping rivets, doors, hatch's and hinges completely out. I have seen spatter paint jobs that look like a loco was run at 200 mph right through a huge mountain of cow flops

I even saw a guy paint a TGV in PRR Tuscan Red and Brunswick Green livery :hehe: (Oh wait ... That was Me)

I downloaded 3 routes from the DLS that looked as if a baby chimp had laid track

Yea that makes sense. Extreme detail and precision are key, to say the least. I took a CP loco I downloaded that had the Gold Beaver with Block Letters. It was too bright and a bit far fetched. So I ran it through the editing software to darken it and add weathering. So I'm figuring some things out. I suppose I could take an older asset and really make it look good if I could. I can't imagine all of the time it takes to do a detailed asset. And I can imagine that I too will spend many nights, weeks etc on making a detailed asset. All in time as I go and as I learn. As far as routes go, I may upload a detailed route eventually, after I get permission from the people for using their assets. I will just have to figure out how to make it compatible from TS12 to T:ANE. If not, I'll just do YouTube videos of the routes.

Last edited:
Back