Introduction and Looking to collaborate and bring out content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shapeway's claims to have the problems hammered out for Blender, just make a model and viola... https://www.shapeways.com/creator/blender

You guys sure this don't work?

The requirements are very very different. In the SIM you want to keep the polys down in order to be able to render the model quickly enough. 60 frames per second means you have 1/60 of a second to render the model. For physical modelling no one cares if it takes five minutes to render the model. Even Blender will take ten minutes to render one of my models sometimes.

You probably need a computer background to understand some of what we are saying but both John Citron and myself do have an in depth background in computer hardware and software. Zec is stronger in the modelling side. Yes these are opinions but they are professional opinions from people with experience. On top of that HMRS of whom I am member do create physical models and they've looked hard at what I produce and eventually concluded it really isn't suitable for a physical model.

Read the OP posts again. "but opinions are opinions" "Got a couple of exams to finish, once that's done "

My reading of them is this is an inexperienced person. A student probably who has very little idea of the requirements for a SIM model or what is involved. Even if you could use the same model you wouldn't want to. The lowest common denominator would be a high detailed mesh. It would work in both but would need a liquid nitrogen cooled machine with the fastest GPU available to run them. Sketchup works but we avoid models created by sketchup. Does that make more sense?

Cheerio John

The requirements are very very different. In the SIM you want to keep the polys down in order to be able to render the model quickly enough. 60 frames per second means you have 1/60 of a second to render the model. For physical modelling no one cares if it takes five minutes to render the model. Even Blender will take ten minutes to render one of my models sometimes.

You probably need a computer background to understand some of what we are saying but both John Citron and myself do have an in depth background in computer hardware and software. Zec is stronger in the modelling side. Yes these are opinions but they are professional opinions from people with experience. On top of that HMRS of whom I am member do create physical models and they've looked hard at what I produce and eventually concluded it really isn't suitable for a physical model.

Read the OP posts again. "but opinions are opinions" "Got a couple of exams to finish, once that's done "

My reading of them is this is an inexperienced person. A student probably who has very little idea of the requirements for a SIM model or what is involved. Even if you could use the same model you wouldn't want to. The lowest common denominator would be a high detailed mesh. It would work in both but would need a liquid nitrogen cooled machine with the fastest GPU available to run them. Sketchup works but we avoid models created by sketchup. Does that make more sense?

Cheerio John

It has nothing to do with Trainz, the path to model creation is evident. Maybe you give me your Blender files, and I will use shapeways to create physical model and sell it at a model railway convention, and then I wont pay you. Would you get it then?

Here is the proof https://www.shapeways.com/shops/pegasusdesigns

Last edited:
A question was asked on the CC chat channel recently about the difference between 3D modelling and game modelling. In my view there is a vast difference. As most Trainz Blender CCs know, the myriad of Blender tutorials available concentrate on the 3D aspect of modelling plus lighting, etc. It's only relatively recently that organisations such as CG Cookie have realised that some want to make models for games. Newer products, such as Substance Painter, support that aim.

Having watched this thread since the start, I'm not sure exactly what the OP is looking for. Originally, it appeared he/she wanted to collaborate in making models for Trainz/TANE, but their website suggests nothing of the sort. If they are looking for people to provide designs and 3D models for the purpose of creating 3D printed models for sale then I have no problem with that. Is it appropriate for these forums? Maybe/maybe not, but it isn't in conflict with the CoC AFAIK. Since it is only one thread its hardly spam.

I'd rather read discussions on making models for Trainz and not 3D printed versions. Leave that to the model railroaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back