CPU Inquiry

The limiting factor will be your GPU. I7's are nice but an i5 matched with a high end GPU is sufficient. TANE runs the CPU cooler than TS12 but the GPUs run warmer.

Cheerio John

GTX 1050TI is affordable and just about OK. A 1060 is fine but overpriced, a 1070 would be very nice but the prices are insane at the moment. You might get a better price on the GPU in a package.

Cheerio John

Prices of GPU's in the UK have dropped around £60 to £80 lower on Ebuyer, mostly EVGA and Zotac cards across the whole 10xx range. Whether this is a sign of a general reduction or they have overstocked due to the shortages a month or two back due to the mining obsession is anyones guess!

ArmoredMonster - Each of those Kaby Lake CPUs are desirable in terms of mobile computing - offering considerable multicore horsepower coupled with low TDP/ battery drain.
However, don't expect that the integrated GPU on these processors will be able to run T:ANE smoothly. As others have pointed out above, these CPUs need to be matched up with a decent separate GPU to provide smooth framerate performance in Trainz.
Top choice would be the 3.10 to 4.10Ghz i7-7920HQ that you haven't mentioned above, with its higher base and turbo frequencies.

ArmoredMonster - Each of those Kaby Lake CPUs are desirable in terms of mobile computing - offering considerable multicore horsepower coupled with low TDP/ battery drain.
However, don't expect that the integrated GPU on these processors will be able to run T:ANE smoothly. As others have pointed out above, these CPUs need to be matched up with a decent separate GPU to provide smooth framerate performance in Trainz.
Top choice would be the 3.10 to 4.10Ghz i7-7920HQ that you haven't mentioned above, with its higher base and turbo frequencies.

This is going to be a gaming laptop that has either an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 or 1070. I've been looking for the I7 7920HQ but I haven't seen one on any of the laptops that I've come across that's a reasonable price. Here's what I've got so far: https://www.frys.com/product/9302890?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Let's revaluate this. Spectre and Meltdown causes a slight CPU load increase, and the OP was in January. I'd say if you want something good, NOW, wait until the latest CPUs naturally block these two badguys before investing in anything.

Back