Why are modern American diesel locomotives so quiet?

JonMyrlennBailey

This includes the GE ES44 series and post-GM EMD hood units as the SD70 series.

Spartan cabs of the past century were LOUD. "Comfort" cabs of today are quiet.

Do they actually use mufflers or other noise-emissions equipment on them?

The old GM/EMD's from the 1970's and earlier roared and shook the earth like revving Harley-Davidson Big Twins.

The modern engines, turbo whine notwithstanding, seem no louder than a V-8 luxury car.

Even modern diesel semi trucks seem quieter than those of the 20th century.

No idea why, but their horns aren't quiet!:hehe::p
(unless its a quiet zone, then yuck! I love the sound of the horns)

Some Trainz ones are unrealistically quiet, and need the sound files amplified ... real locos nowdays are more efficient, and are quieter ... I'm sure they have some type of muffler

It could be Jon that the manufacturers have gone through great lengths to make quieter locomotives that are not only just quiet but also much safer and more fuel efficient as well. Keep in mind that the loud noise regulations are pretty strict today in some areas, especially if they need to run the trains through some residential zones, so the railroads want something that's not going to disturb the neighbors bordering the ROW.

In addition to the quieter running, locomotives today also have cold-start capabilities, which means they don't need to be left running endlessly in the yards not only eating up fuel while idling but also are not disturbing the people that live nearby.

Sadly for us rail fans it means we don't have the rumbling grinding, squeaking, grumbling, smoke belching locomotives of yesteryear.

Thanks, Jon:

This is why I am so charmed by the older locos (muscle cars, trucks and Harleys) of the 20th century. Masculine, loud and not pansy-like. Thunder like the voice of God. It's the SOUND that warms my heart and soul. The older locos even looked more handsome to boot.

I am sure those Geeps in the 1950's had no mufflers.

When I was a boy, circa 1970, SP gray/red wing Geeps and SW-1500's would thunder through my small Novato, CA hometown about two blocks away from house. They were not too close to shake the house or be obnoxious. I could see them from my backyard standing on a tree stump. They would pull freight trains, always capped off by a bay-window caboose, and SP commute passenger trains as well. I think Pullman heavyweights. I even was thrilled by sounds of their solemn eerie whistles and bells. I could smell the diesel smoke in the air after they had passed. There were customer sidings (feed for animals, landscaping gravel, cement) nearby as well so I could see and hear their switching operations. They would never kick cars (hoppers or boxcars) onto the sidings but always shove cars to the customers' loading docks.

To me, a Geep was the definitive sound of a diesel engine and I used to think all diesel locomotives sounded like them. Only electric trains were supposed to be quiet. The Geeps had a distinctive grunt and gear whir.

Yes, I grew up around trains.

Last edited:
Yup I know exactly what you mean. I grew up across the street from a small switch yard. There was an old SW or Alco S-3/4 stationed there. I was quite young, perhaps 4 years old when we moved away, but I remember the clunking of the freight cars, and the rumbling, gurgling sounds of the locomotive. Nobody cared about the rattling or the horn tooting, and my dad used to bring me over to the fence to watch the trains, thus, hooking me on to steel wheels on steel rails forever. We also used to take the Budd RDCs (Buddliners) to Boston. That distinctive odor of diesel exhaust was inside the cars as well as all over and I always associated that with the smell of locomotives. The big treat was catching the Alouette to Montreal in North Station. I'm saying that now because the Gull was long gone by the early to mid-1960s. The train either had a B&M E8, or sometimes a CNR E8. I would be quite exciting seeing the cool train at the platforms when we pulled in. That was quite a treat!

We then moved away from there to a nearly railroad-less town. Sure there was a small branch to serve some mills, but that branch saw perhaps a boxcar every few months if that while we lived there. Dad worked in Boston though and we would go to Bradford (Haverhill where I live today, but across the river) to pick him up at the depot. In warmer weather I would wait for him on the platform, and between the odor of creosote, ballast, and diesel smoke, I was hooked forever.

But that sound of Geeps. Yes. When we moved to Andover, where I lived for nearly 30-years, the B&M mainline ran through just as it does through Bradford and Haverhill proper. We were about a mile from the railroad tracks and the depot, but I could hear the Geeps work hard bringing the freights up grade out of Lawrence south through Andover. There was also a long yard lead at Shawsheen, (Frye) and they would burble, gurgle, and make Geep sounds, which I could hear quite well and even louder when the wind was right. Andover also has a few crossings, which used to be blown for. The would start in Lowell Jct. then blow for Ballardvale, the cemetery, and then Essex Street near Andover depot.

Then sadly in 1997, the NIMBYs moved in to condos next to the railroad, complained about the horns, and the crossings became quiet zones. The camps were pretty strong during the fight for and against the quiet zones, but the rich NIMBYs won with the spiffy lawyers and money to spend on quiet railroad crossings. The Geeps also nearly disappeared too. By that time, Guilford had done its damage to the rail traffic, which fell off substantially and has never recovered so the freights became infrequent, and mostly in the wee hours of the morning so they're no longer heard. Pan Am Railways runs the freights now which sneak through around 5:00 am just before the first commuter trains start a few minutes later. I still hear the freights sometimes if I'm awake or stirring in the wee hours as it passes through Plaistow, Rosemont, then on sough and west on its way to where ever. It's not the same as it was though. They definitely are a lot quieter now.

Quite forlorn to say, yes, the smart-phone-toting politically-correct elite with deep pockets have outlawed old-fashioned American excitement for good. Our nation has now become emasculated.

I miss the original older diesel smoke color, and it didn't smell like bleach. Sort of had a sweet and sour smell mixed in it.

6094.1357799811.jpg

Last edited:
If you want smoke and noise from your diesels, then it seems Russia is the place to go. Loads of clips on YouTube with big TE10's or M62's belching out clouds of black clag and decibels of volume.

That said, while we may appreciate loud traction units from a fan point of view (and in the UK nothing beats a Sulzer Type 2 or a Class 40 working flat out) but spare a thought for the people who work with these machines on a daily basis. I'm sure being deafened by constant exposure at close range to loud mechanical machines was not part of the deal when they signed on.

So quiet?

Government regulations - both sound and emissions.

My observations is that diesel locomotives now make more noise going downhill as the fans blow vast amount of air across the resistors dissipating the heat from dynamic (regenerative) braking. Uphill at Notch 8 them are quiet. They can be almost on top of you before you hear them.

Phil

Back