The passing of Ben Dorsey on Saturday 24 March 2018

Since Bob has already spoken to them he might be better placed to make the phone call. We have the models in TANE and Ben worked in GMAX so I'm not certain just how useful the sources would be since most of us work in Blender these days.

Cheerio John

Yes it think it would be better as introducing another person into the mix just becomes confusing , he had two systems. his old computer has most of his work on its drives ( according to him ) bu they may have junked it as it needed work ....
as for getting gmax files to blender here's some threads https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/getting-gmax-projects-to-blender.435382/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuHy20MgxhA

Important update.

I talked on this phone this morning with Ben's wife and she is still working through all Ben's estate which was considerable. As a result it may be some time before they get around to all his Trainz mesh stuff. It sounds positive at this point but we will have to wait and see. Obviously, as a stranger to her, I don't want to pester her about this so the ball is in her court from this point on. She has my both contact information and physical mailing address to send the hard drives to me, assuming she does that. If, and that's a big if at this point, she does that I will make arrangements for all the thousands of meshes to be made available to the Trainz community in some way.

I also discussed with Mrs. Dorsey what to do with all his published Trainz content on the DLS. She has kindly given me permission to make all of Ben's 3rd party Trainz content content essentially public domain under the following modified creative commons license:

Modified Creative Commons License as of May 25, 2018 for ALL Ben Dorsey Trainz content:

You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any non-commercial purpose. The one exception to the commercial rule is for N3V, which can use the content in the Trainz product itself as long as they do not sell any of his content in a standalone or separate manner.

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit to Ben Dorsey as the original creator, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes. The one exception to the commercial rule is for N3V, which can use the content in the Trainz product itself as long as they do not sell any of his content in a standalone or separate manner.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

Notices:

You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.

No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.

For more on creative commons licensing see:

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/

Last edited:
Thank you for the update and Creative Commons Licensing work you did.

:wave:Good morning Sir,

Just read your update, and appears you have done everything humanly possible at this point......Great on the Creative Commons for Ben's Assets.....

That's a good start for those that wish to modify, use etc......On the family, at this point, we just have to wait and see, with the hope in the Future, those Drive will come your way......

Thank you for all the effort you have put in here. God Bless Ben and his family thru a difficult time........:D

That's very encouraging, and I like the Creative Commons adaption.

I'm wondering where would be an appropriate place to record that licensing. Perhaps a special page in the Train WiKi that has limited write/amendment access. If there is general agreement, I'll ask N3V separately about this when I get home in about a week or so.

I'm not a GMax user although Ben did send me a GMax source when I was investigating something a while back. But I am familiar with Ben's style of asset creation and replicating some of his models in Blender wouldn't be hard. If the sources don't become available then I'll happily volunteer to re-create them if practical. Thru the CRG I should also be able to use Ben's asset KUID (incremented).

I'm wondering where would be an appropriate place to record that licensing. Perhaps a special page in the Train WiKi that has limited write/amendment access. If there is general agreement, I'll ask N3V separately about this when I get home in about a week or so.

I'm not a GMax user although Ben did send me a GMax source when I was investigating something a while back. But I am familiar with Ben's style of asset creation and replicating some of his models in Blender wouldn't be hard. If the sources don't become available then I'll happily volunteer to re-create them if practical. Thru the CRG I should also be able to use Ben's asset KUID (incremented).

Post in a Sticky and locked thread maybe? locked so that the license terms don't get buried under a ton of posts asking can I do ..... etc.

Spoken like a true gentleman sir pcsa!

Important update.

I talked on this phone this morning with Ben's wife and she is still working through all Ben's estate which was considerable. As a result it may be some time before they get around to all his Trainz mesh stuff. It sounds positive at this point but we will have to wait and see. Obviously, as a stranger to her, I don't want to pester her about this so the ball is in her court from this point on. She has my both contact information and physical mailing address to send the hard drives to me, assuming she does that. If, and that's a big if at this point, she does that I will make arrangements for all the thousands of meshes to be made available to the Trainz community in some way.

I also discussed with Mrs. Dorsey what to do with all his published Trainz content on the DLS. She has kindly given me permission to make all of Ben's 3rd party Trainz content content essentially public domain under the following modified creative commons license:

Modified Creative Commons License as of May 25, 2018 for ALL Ben Dorsey Trainz content:

You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any non-commercial purpose. The one exception to the commercial rule is for N3V, which can use the content in the Trainz product itself as long as they do not sell any of his content in a standalone or separate manner.

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit to Ben Dorsey as the original creator, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes. The one exception to the commercial rule is for N3V, which can use the content in the Trainz product itself as long as they do not sell any of his content in a standalone or separate manner.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

Notices:

You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.

No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.

For more on creative commons licensing see:

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/
This is excellent news, remember, my offer of up to $ 500 to cover costs of transfer to a drive or online cloud facility still stands.

Back