The passing of Ben Dorsey on Saturday 24 March 2018

Just like life, all trains both have a beginning and an end. And on the end of the Allegheny Mountains Scenic Railroad's (A subsidiary of Richmond, Peabody & Parker a.k.a the payware Coal Country route) excursion train is the observation car Bendorsey, which is a reskin of one of his Harriman Observation cars.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Last edited:
Just seen this - so sad to hear this news. Ben was one of our greatest creators. My condolences to his family, also thanks to Bob for seeking to secure his legacy of irreplaceable assets.

I wonder if someone might be willing to create a monument (like the Alistair Monument, kuid:87907:26025) that we can place on our routes to remember Ben?

Paul

I wonder if someone might be willing to create a monument (like the Alistair Monument, kuid:87907:26025) that we can place on our routes to remember Ben?

Paul

I was thinking of making something like that but I'm not into tombstones or the like, maybe a named locomotive or a significant bridge. Did Ben leave any bridges left unmade?

I was thinking of making something like that but I'm not into tombstones or the like, maybe a named locomotive or a significant bridge. Did Ben leave any bridges left unmade?

not as far as i know, his last piece for me was the pigeon toe mine loading trestle for the Uintah Railway which he was in the process of testing :-(
his last big bridge ( that I know of ) was the 600 ft bridge 69a crossing green river utah which can be seen in the thread featuring his models I started in the screenshots section.

It is with great sadness that I have learned of Ben Dorsey's passing. He made nearly 300 assets for the White Pass and Yukon route (bridges, buildings, structures, rail cars etc.). Indeed the route would not have been fully realized without his patient and generous help. He even worked on assets for a possible extension of the route to Whitehorse and also completed a "tour de force" complex for the Skagway docks including a fully animated huge Ore bunker and the Coal "unloader" to be added to a future update of the route. Below I am including a couple of images of this last complex as a tribute to his great work.

Ore bunkers and tipple.

Ore-Complex%2C-Skagway%2C-AK.jpg

Ore tipple, Coal unloader and trestle track work. Ben also made the anyox ore cars on the track.

Ore-tipple%2C-coal-unloader.jpg

We'll miss you Ben!

Derek Munro

for the WPYR team.

Excellent !

I worked on that model with Ben. He did the model and I fiddled with the script until it worked. How Ben managed to make that in GMax amazed me. The model is huge and fabricating a route to accommodate it for testing purposes was a tad difficult . It's not until you see it placed in a Skagway layout that it makes sense.

Ben's dream was to have an unload industry where the industry would take control of a wagon, lift it off the track, move and then rotate to empty. We spent ages trying to figure out how it might work within the limits of Trainz but never came up with a solution.

I'm very sad to here of his passing. But he has left for the Trainz community, is all of the great content he made over the years for us Trainzers to enjoy. Bless you Mr. Dorsey, you will never be forgotten, and my deepest condolences to the Family, and My prayers too. -Robert-

I liked his stations and bridges. And his turn of the century coaches. May he RIP. Hope his content remains archived on the DLS.

Ben did a ton of custom work for my D&H route and I will be forever grateful for his contributions, not only to me but also to the community in general. He was a wonderful person to chat with, even if only by e-mail, and I will certainly miss him.

Prayers to all in his family.
-Mike

I do find it troubling that so far ( unless I missed it ) no one from NV3 has expressed sadness at Ben's passing , or thanks for Ben's contribution to their game, but I note that they have time to mention other creators of routes in their newsletter . Perhaps they are not aware of his passing. If they cannot acknowledge the passing of their most prolific content creator I think that's a sad state of things.

I do find it troubling that so far ( unless I missed it ) no one from NV3 has expressed sadness at Ben's passing , or thanks for Ben's contribution to their game, but I note that they have time to mention other creators of routes in their newsletter . Perhaps they are not aware of his passing. If they cannot acknowledge the passing of their most prolific content creator I think that's a sad state of things.

Was in the Easter Newsletter.

Obituary
The Trainz Community is saddened this week by the passing of one the most prolific content creators, "bendorsey". With almost 10,000 items uploaded to the DLS over the past 12 years his contribution to the Community has been enormous.
R.I.P.

Includes a link to this Thread Underneath.

Last edited:
Back