Thread: The Kims Armoured Train

Blog Entries

Default The Kims Armoured Train

If you are the dictator of a small impoverished and oppressed nation, how do you travel to meet and greet leaders of other countries? By armoured train of course.

A three week journey to Moscow? Not a problem when there is plenty of expensive French champagne to drink and live lobsters to dine upon.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-2...-train/9596838
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

Looks like the "Donald" will have to give the "Little Rocket Man" a month's notice to come to a meeting if it took him 3 weeks to get to Moscow in his military train!
    butler57

According to official accounts, Kim's fat-er, Kim Jong-il died of a heart attack while on a long distance train trip.

It has now been six years since Kim Jong-il's death. The most important feature of the heavily armoured train might be security.
    According to South Korean reports, North Korea has 90 special train carriages in total and operates three trains in tandem when a leader is travelling — an advance train to check the rails, the train with the leader and his immediate entourage, and a third train behind for everyone else.

Kim's train halted all train traffic in NE China

A life-size replica of one of the train's carriages is on permanent display in the ornate mausoleum on the outskirts of Pyongyang, where national founder Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il lie in state. Inside the car is a desk used by the leaders, along with chairs and a sofa.
    Guides at the mausoleum explain that the carriage was used as a mobile office — proof, they insist, the leaders worked tirelessly for the people.
    Last edited by cascaderailroad; March 28th, 2018 at 12:06 PM.

Strange! I was reading that North Korea used Russian M62 locos - but in the pics of Kim's train in Beijing there are Chinese 2 x DF11's - I wonder did they have to use China's Loco's in China or did at some point North Korea purchase them? Also the carriages look like Chinese RW 19T coaches.
    butler57

Blog Entries

According to Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean...#Rolling_Stock most of NKs locos have come from Russia, Eastern Europe and China, many of them second hand. They recently (2002) purchased some second hand Swiss made passenger cars for their express services.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

I also noticed in recent pics and video footage the "Kim Train" in Beijing had "A & B set locos DF11 type) I cannot recall seeing anything like that before - any ideas anyone?

Found it! see below for web address - It is a DF11z - 1 cab car back to back A&B set for "government special requirements"
    So I am assuming it was this particular Chinese loco that pulled "Kim's armoured coaches into Beijing".

http://www.chinesemodeltrains.com/en..._rsrdf11z.html
    Last edited by butler57; March 28th, 2018 at 08:27 PM.
    butler57

United States of America, California, Port Hueneme

During the Kim Jong-Il time, that presidential train was not allowed to run at more than 40Km/h, under severe penalty. That is lower than freight trains running Transiberian route. This is why it took so long time. But hey! if you have French champagne to celebrate... 3 weeks is not enough.