The Kims Armoured Train

Looks like the "Donald" will have to give the "Little Rocket Man" a month's notice to come to a meeting if it took him 3 weeks to get to Moscow in his military train!:Y:

According to official accounts, Kim's fat-er, Kim Jong-il died of a heart attack while on a long distance train trip.

It has now been six years since Kim Jong-il's death. The most important feature of the heavily armoured train might be security.
According to South Korean reports, North Korea has 90 special train carriages in total and operates three trains in tandem when a leader is travelling — an advance train to check the rails, the train with the leader and his immediate entourage, and a third train behind for everyone else.

Kim's train halted all train traffic in NE China

A life-size replica of one of the train's carriages is on permanent display in the ornate mausoleum on the outskirts of Pyongyang, where national founder Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il lie in state. Inside the car is a desk used by the leaders, along with chairs and a sofa.
Guides at the mausoleum explain that the carriage was used as a mobile office — proof, they insist, the leaders worked tirelessly for the people.

Last edited:
Strange! I was reading that North Korea used Russian M62 locos - but in the pics of Kim's train in Beijing there are Chinese 2 x DF11's - I wonder did they have to use China's Loco's in China or did at some point North Korea purchase them? Also the carriages look like Chinese RW 19T coaches.

I also noticed in recent pics and video footage the "Kim Train" in Beijing had "A & B set locos DF11 type) I cannot recall seeing anything like that before - any ideas anyone?

Found it! see below for web address - It is a DF11z - 1 cab car back to back A&B set for "government special requirements"
So I am assuming it was this particular Chinese loco that pulled "Kim's armoured coaches into Beijing".

http://www.chinesemodeltrains.com/encyclopedia_rsrdf11z.html

Last edited:
During the Kim Jong-Il time, that presidential train was not allowed to run at more than 40Km/h, under severe penalty. That is lower than freight trains running Transiberian route. This is why it took so long time. But hey! if you have French champagne to celebrate... 3 weeks is not enough.

Back