Good Monitor for T:ANE

WCRULEZ

I am in the market for a new monitor, preferably under $200. What is a good monitor to run T:ANE on? I am a complete noob when it comes to monitors and their specs, so help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Generally speaking an LED IPS monitor 1920 x 1080 works well. If you have a $25,000 machine you might want to spend a bit more. I use a 22 inch monitor but others prefer a larger screen size.

LG and Samsung manufacture the screens companies such as Dell buy them in so Dell screen typically will cost 5-10% more than an LG one although they are probably the same screen.

I quite like ASUS quality but that is just one person. Go to Newegg.com and look for monitors with many reviews and high ratings.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335 might be worthy of consideration. Note you probably do not need to spend the full $200.

More pixels mean lower frame rates. ie a 4k monitor needs more horsepower to drive it. If you have a low end machine then go for fewer pixels. I don't think 4K UHD is quite ready for prime time nor do I think that TANE today supports it.

Cheerio John

I have an AOC 27" 1920x1080 monitor that works very well. IIRC it cost me about $150 from Best Buy. Be sure to use a digital input, either HDMI or DVI. VGA does not cut it any more.

Mick

Best quality monitors I've tested, reviewed and used for gaming tend to come from Acer, AOC, Asus, Dell, LG, Samsung, NEC and ViewSonic.
I have 3 monitors here - one Asus, one ViewSonic and the other a Dell. All still excellent performers and remain great value for money.

Key determinants of what sort of monitor you should purchase are what you plan to use it for (predominant use-case) and whether your video card is capable of driving it to the performance levels and quality and resolution settings needed.

For example, if you don't need HDR & professional color calibrations, but still want a fast, responsive, high-contrast and high-resolution display for gaming purposes AND you have a discrete GPU card capable of driving the requisite refresh rates (60Hz or better) then any modern IPS or LED/ OLED display with response times of less than 5ms (grey to grey) and vertical synch frequency refresh rates of 60Hz or better from a reputable manufacturer will suffice.

Display size and aspect ratio (e.g. 28" and/or 16:9 etc.,) is a matter of preference, budget (and the space available on your desk or wall to accommodate it). Bigger is usually better, but often more expensive than the same quality of monitor at a smaller diagonal screen size measurement.

Agree with Mick_Berg above when he says go for digital inputs that match the output ports for your video card. Best (most capable) formats these days are Display Port and HDMI.

Last edited:
Will TANE support either a 3840x1600 or a 3440x1400 resolution. These are the Dell 38" and 34" curved monitors.

I have the NVidia Geforce 1080TI. I was lucky to buy one last summer before the prices soared.

I did the same! :D

I'm sure the program will support that high-resolution, but will your eyes? I noticed even now at 1980 x 1080 the text is about the size of ants. I can only imagine how small it would be on a display at 3840 x 1600.

Back