Using JR trainsets on other routes

Griphos

So, I'm still pretty new to all of this. Is it possible to use the trains and rolling stock (including any complete trainsets if there are any) that I buy in the content packs for various routes with other routes? When looking in the train set dialogue box, I never see any trainsets I recognize from any of the JR routes. The JR trainsets are always much nicer than the default trainsets that came with the various Deluxe routes.

You mean running JR trains? Thats as simple as creating a new session under the route you wish adding them in and launching the session. Replacing the trains in existing sessions is possible, but would be a bit more involved as you might need to change all the rules that would have interacted with the original unique loco. Hope that makes sense.

This is a complicated sim.

It seems that there are no JR consists available in the train flyout because in the sessions for the JR routes, they were built for that session and not saved as a consist. Is that how you built consists for your Coal Country route? Just assembled them for the particular session?

Perhaps I can just take one of the train consists you built for that particular session and save it as a consist to make it available for use from the flyout in quick drives on other routes? Now, to figure out how to save consists...

If you want to. I really don't use consists that much unless its something like 20x coal cars of 5x spline cars, I also have ones that are 1/2mi and 1mi long so I can install mileposts on routes. You need to make a consist for Portals and stuff too, but the only reason I really used them in Coal Country was so I didn't go crazy using lots of different wagons which would mean a bigger download file or hunting around for more deps :)
It shouldn't be too difficult for you to just go through the main list of trains and pick the ones you like. You can make a new consist by clicking the little grab tool then clicking the train.

This is a complicated sim.

It seems that there are no JR consists available in the train flyout because in the sessions for the JR routes, they were built for that session and not saved as a consist. Is that how you built consists for your Coal Country route? Just assembled them for the particular session?

Perhaps I can just take one of the train consists you built for that particular session and save it as a consist to make it available for use from the flyout in quick drives on other routes? Now, to figure out how to save consists...

That's exactly what I did with this and other consists that came with the routes I purchased. With Trainz you can modify anything that's not built-in, and you can use all content installed in any way you wish, except for built-in routes, which have to stay as they are. This is why it's better to purchase content from Jointed Rail rather than the same from N3V. When purchased directly from Jointed Rail, you can modify the routes in anyway you want. I took the Legend of the BNSF I and merged it into the Legend of the BNSF II. I modified the older section so it's not exactly the same, like changing one of the wood processing facilities to a freight car repair facility, added in sidings and additional industries here and there, and so on along with portals on the ends to allow for through traffic, etc. Their Midwest Grain 3.0 was combined with Cold Creek Logistics, and then all merged into my much bigger Ozark Valley and Western conglomerate.

I know you're new to this Trainz world, but this only scratches the surface of what can be done. :)

Now, to figure out how to save consists...
Open the route or session that contains the consist in Surveyor. Click on the train flyout to show the traincars panel. click on the Consists tab, click on the Get Asset tool. Click on the consist. Give it a name you will recognise as your new consist. Use as required in any route.

Last edited:
Back