NC&StL 576

leeferr

thanks for the memories
Most of you are probably not aware of the 576 that I created for Trainz; however, just wanted to say that the 576 will be rolling again. It's currently located in Centennial Park in Nashville, Tn where it's been resting since 1953. It was only 11 years old when it was parked there. I have joined and am working with the Nashville Steam Preservation Society which is in the process of restoration for the eventual running of the loco on the Nashville and Eastern Line between Nashville and Cookeville and hopefully to Monterey at some point. The Nashville and Eastern is the old right of way for the Tennessee Central. We work every other Friday and Saturday on her and plan to move her to Nashville and Eastern tracks at some point this summer. She's in surprisingly good shape. The 576 is a small Northern Class loco built for the war effort; however, the NC&StL didn't call her a Northern. They called it their Dixie class. It was built by Alco in 1942 and the frame/cylinders were all one casting. Something that I found interesting about her is that the air tank was cast as part of the frame and is located between the frames behind the 2nd and 3rd set of drivers and it has only 1 air compressor.

Visit the NSPS for more info.

Mike

Good to hear you're joining in. I never got to see her when I live in Spring Hill, Tennessee in the early '90s, but I did ride on the Tennessee Central Railway Museum then and it was the only time I've been in a dome car. Hopefully I can get up there sometime and see her and ride the TCRM's excursion trains again. I know the answer, but I think I'll go ahead and ask before everyone else does: Which'll come first, 576 up and running or a new model of her for Trainz?

I'm not doing an updated model of her, but I did send my meshes to someone (sorry, but I forget who) that's going to update the 576. I'm not into content creation any longer...long story, but I am in the beginning phases of building a 1/8 scale live steam 576. Hope to have it running in 2 or 3 years.

I'm not doing an updated model of her, but I did send my meshes to someone (sorry, but I forget who) that's going to update the 576. I'm not into content creation any longer...long story, but I am in the beginning phases of building a 1/8 scale live steam 576. Hope to have it running in 2 or 3 years.

I knew that. But I knew that there'd be someone who would ask that question. I'd figured I'd go ahead and take care of it. Also, I'm hoping to get by to the Mid-South Live Steamers someday. I went camping at a state park in the area during spring break of 2015. On the way home, we stopped of by the railroad, and it has changed a lot since I was there in the '90s. I also happened to stop off and take some pictures of the house I used to live in when I lived there. I will note that the Mid-South Live Steamers public meets happened to fall on both Mothers Day and my Mom's Birthday, so she had to go ride trains with me on her day.

Back