Sharing content between two installs

GreyAreaUK

Greetings.

I bought T:ANE on the Mac a few weeks ago, and last night I bought it for my PC as well (since I use both about equally, but they're in different parts of the house).

Ideally I'd like both installs to mirror each other as much as possible, so (for instance) stuff I download on one is made available in the other, and edits I make to layouts get reflected. Is this possible? They're both on the same network and I can create a network share on one of my NASs especially for this if it helps.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
would copying stuff from one over to other work? other words what stuff you had downloaded or modified on each one back over to the others file locaction.

would copying stuff from one over to other work? other words what stuff you had downloaded or modified on each one back over to the others file locaction.

At this stage I think I'll just limit it to a shared area for cdp files. I don't mind manually exporting/importing, I just want stuff to be in a consistent location.

Actually, that's a point - when you download stuff from the Download Station via Content Manager, does it store the cdp somewhere? If I could make that storage location common between the two machines it would make importing new content easier (I'm not expecting it to auto-install).

not sure with Tane, but the 12 version, I don't think it saves the cdp anywhere it just adds it to ??? dir in the game, cant think off top of my head the real name.

I had a while ago, when I was having some hard drive problems saved stuff I had edited etc into a cdp and copied that over too my wifes computer, so I had a back up of it there.

The easiest way to do this, without being too technical, is to simply take any new data from one that's not on the DLS, save to a CDP and import the CDP in the other.

This is actually how I copy content between my retail-build (current version) and beta version. Being test data, I have no intention of moving this on to another installation and it will soon be deleted.

There is something to be aware of. There can be a disparity between KUID numbers with your own content if one database is slightly newer than another. What will happen is if you copy content in from another version you risk overwriting something with the same KUID that's not the same asset. The good news is you will receive a warning when overwriting content, which you can then verify what you will be overwriting.

Here's an example:

I have a road I customized that has <kuid2:124863:100200:1> as its KUID in one copy.

I have a route which I've started in the other version, but did not move over recently with the same KUID.

The problem is the route will overwrite the road, which may or may not be a problem, but usually is because that can cause all kinds of weird errors such as asset is not of the correct type. I actually ran into this error one day and it took me forever to figure out what happened.

Back