Dual Gauge Track for the GWR Broad Gauge?

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
I've gathered together a fair bit of GWR Broad Gauge content by a number of content creators, but the one thing I haven't been able to find is dual gauge track. Would anyone know of a source for such track if such a thing exists?

No replies to this, so I'd guess the answer is "No"

The problem is that the game treats track as a single line, which the trains follow. Thus narrow gauge trains can run on broad gauge track quite happily, but just looking a bit silly, as they follow the centre line of the track. They even run round a smooth curve when the track in modelled as a series of straights - for example the built-in "grey wood clean std 16m", kuid2:60850:38003:1 appears on sharps curves as a series of 16m long straights, but trains follow a smooth path.

For GWR mixed gauge track the broad gauge and the standard gauge (assuming its a 3 rail type) will have different centre-lines. Perhaps the answer is to lay a broad gauge sleepered track, then a rail-only standard gauge track, positioned so that one rail coincides with the broad gauge rail. Does this sound like a solution?

Agree; it doesn't exist or it would not work.

With dual gauge, both gauges usually share 1 rail and have 1 for their own gauge. However, for the game a train always runs in the middle of a track. The tracks are just visuals. So to make a train look as if it is driving on the right gauge, it has to technically be on the track with that gauge. Having something look like dual gauge for the game effectively means putting two tracks of different gauges very close together, positioning 1 track "on top" of the other.

Note:
To avoid two tracks connecting (in case you are putting one on the other), hold down the shift button.

Thanks for your suggestions, but the reason I asked is that there is already dual gauge track available for standard gauge/3ft gauge and 3ft 6in gauge/2ft gauge so it is possible.

Try driving a train on it and see where the wheels end up :)

If they show up in the correct place on both gauges, I love to know what asset (KUID) it is.

Last edited:
There are some old tracks that are basically old style double track splines but with the second track invisible and overlapping the first which has a dual gauge mesh. See <kuid:77573:38509> Dual NG2/3' Trk (2m) as an example.

Back in 2012-2013 Steve Flanders did produce some dual gauge GWR track but it no longer seems to be available. It was, as Ed suggests above, basically two overlapping tracks, the NG one having to be an offset invisible one to correspond to the mesh of the BG one. We did manage to produce working points based on the late Andi06's points but the project petered out over the problem of signalling and prevention of collisions.

Interesting stuff, edh6 and teddytoot. Those double track splines are clearly from "before my time" :hehe:. Nice trick to use it like that though.

There is a way of doing short lengths where trains can see each other on the tracks. Place the broad gauge track and signals. Place triggers between the signals so the radius of each trigger overlap. Do the same with the standard gauge track using invisible signals. Use the trigger multiple signals rule to select the BG signal and its adjacent invisible standard gauge signal. Now select all the triggers on both tracks up to the next signals. Any train that passes the first signals will turn both signals red after it passes them and hits the triggers.

Could Interlocking Towers be used to achieve two trains not using the same “track” at the same time?

Back