Vanishing 3rd party content

rwk

What do you do if you download a route and it has missing unknown kuid’s and some of them can’t be found anywhere or the creator had a hissy fit and yanked all of his stuff from the internet like Zak (east coast trainz) for example and the route is calling for some of those items but you don’t know what the items are with just kuid numbers? Are you pretty much screwed or is there a way to find out what the items are and substitute them with similar items? I hate when creators take their toys and go home, quit Trainz and deprive others from being able to use their content by deleting their site or items. That causes frustration as then routes that used the items will have missing deps that can no longer be found.

This is one of the main reasons why I do not use anything that contains unknown kuids - I simply delete the route/session/etc and move on with my life.

To answer your question. There is a thread in this forum called something like "Post your missing kuids here". Do a search of that forum for your kuids and if nothing comes up, post a fresh message there listing your kuids.

You could try using Google.

I sympathise with your frustration but if a creator decides to take "his bat and ball" and go home then he/she is perfectly entitled to do so.

I fully agree with pware. I used to spend a lot of time searching for missing assets. Not anymore. There are plenty of excellent routes available on DLS (for example) that can be installed without missing dependencies. If I download routes with a bunch of missing dependencies, I simply delete it and move on.

There is plenty of insight to be gained from the completeness of certain routes over others, and the various reasons why, but I'll keep my opinions to myself on this one!

Wow. I haven't been around in quite some time but since you wanna drop my name around like we're friends I feel like I should respond.

I have a wife and three kids a mortgage and the Army and my fulltime job. It's not my responsibility to maintain my stuff for the benefit of a dying simulator. I don't even own the stuff anymore. I handed off the rights a while back. If whining and name dropping makes you think I'll just resurrect the stuff I DON'T OWN ANYMORE, your wrong. I didn't take my ball and go home, I don't care about the sim any longer and am not being hassled to keep up with it.

If that isn't a good enough answer then by all means take it to a PM and I'll explain it better when I'm not under a house fixing water lines.

The short answer is only download routes that guarantee assets are on the DLS or referenced from official N3V payware. The only way the former can be removed is under very special circumstances (though there's nothing to stop the owner nerfing it with an update turning the item into a blade of grass) and the latter if/when N3V ever ceased trading.

This is why, even though I've been tempted in the past, I would rather not use third party items no matter how good or useful they might be!

Trainz members,
Routes with missing KUIDS that are not on the DLS will still likely run in Driver mode.
Just download and run the online freeware route and see what is missing.
Have a missing rail bridge or some part? well just go into surveyor mode and patch up your copy of the route.
Because 99% of the route available is still fun to play with.

The only problem if you are missing 4 kuids, and 1 kuid is a track, you might end up with a lot of tracks on the route, as N3V's bulk asset replace tool doesn't work on that white lines and you can't see which kuid is the track.

Marcos

The only problem if you are missing 4 kuids, and 1 kuid is a track, you might end up with a lot of tracks on the route, as N3V's bulk asset replace tool doesn't work on that white lines and you can't see which kuid is the track.

Marcos

It does, but you have to use the bulk asset replace/delete tool with selected area instead of a global approach. Using it this way, you have unfortunately, a square marquee to select spline points and turn the segments into tracks. Once the track is replaced, you can then go back and globally change the other splines usually through he process of elimination like knowing that something should be grass, or a fence.

Here's the asset to replace with instructions, which came from N3V.

The following information comes via the lead developer for N3V Games. I had to use this last night and I know it works.

The dashed white lines isn't "a missing asset" - it's the asset that Trainz turns to when it can't find the asset it is supposed to draw there. These white lines are, in themselves, an asset. You can find this asset in CM. It's called "Missing spline", and it's by Rob. Open it for edit. Change the KUID from <kuid:523:1124> to <kuid2:523:1124:1>, and remove the whole privileges container (containing the line "permit-listing 0") Then install that asset as if it were a new asset - e.g. drag the folder from windows explorer back onto the CM interface. Once it's installed, revert the original one (you can't commit changes to it as it's a built-in asset). Result: The dashed white lines now show up in the menu, and can be selected just like any other track spline. You could lay some down if you wanted. More to the point, you can now use the 'replace items' tool to change them to any track spline you have installed...

I will add this. When you install the folder, use the install content option. This will save so much time. Also don't panic when the creator is shown as AURAN. I hope this helps some one.

<kuid2:523:1124:1> ==== Update from <kuid2:523:1124:2> to <kuid2:523:1124:3> for T:ANE. All other procedures apply.

This is why, even though I've been tempted in the past, I would rather not use third party items no matter how good or useful they might be!
I have to agree with you 100% on this one. I make routes and sessions, and the least I want is people PMing me asking where you get this KUID or something like that. Everything (might be a route that needs fixing, but is planned on being upgraded in the next Trainz game) is pure from the DLS, and not 3rd party sites.

I had some friends ask me why I don't use JR things. My reply is "if its 3rd party junk and not the DLS, it doesn't enter my hard drive. No exceptions." - Since I make both freeware and payware things, I don't want to get in trouble about content from websites being accidentally part of my things, so DLS it is. I don't really care how good quality is on those 3rd party sites, if that person wanted it featured, they are to contact the author and hope they upload it to the DLS, but I haven't had to say that yet...

I basically continue until I can fine the item on the DLS, and if can't fine it, fine something close to it. That's basically what I been doing.

Just wanted to share some of my thoughts:)

It does, but you have to use the bulk asset replace/delete tool with selected area instead of a global approach. Using it this way, you have unfortunately, a square marquee to select spline points and turn the segments into tracks. Once the track is replaced, you can then go back and globally change the other splines usually through he process of elimination like knowing that something should be grass, or a fence.

The following information comes via the lead developer for N3V Games. I had to use this last night and I know it works.

The dashed white lines isn't "a missing asset" - it's the asset that Trainz turns to when it can't find the asset it is supposed to draw there. These white lines are, in themselves, an asset. You can find this asset in CM. It's called "Missing spline", and it's by Rob. Open it for edit. Change the KUID from <kuid:523:1124> to <kuid2:523:1124:1>, and remove the whole privileges container (containing the line "permit-listing 0") Then install that asset as if it were a new asset - e.g. drag the folder from windows explorer back onto the CM interface. Once it's installed, revert the original one (you can't commit changes to it as it's a built-in asset). Result: The dashed white lines now show up in the menu, and can be selected just like any other track spline. You could lay some down if you wanted. More to the point, you can now use the 'replace items' tool to change them to any track spline you have installed...

I will add this. When you install the folder, use the install content option. This will save so much time. Also don't panic when the creator is shown as AURAN. I hope this helps some one.

<kuid2:523:1124:1> ==== Update from <kuid2:523:1124:2> to <kuid2:523:1124:3> for T:ANE. All other procedures apply.
I also needed to change the .texture files to .tga files using Images2TGA.

Marcos

Interesting , when this precise thing happened to my route the NV3 "helpdesk" person said there was nothing that could be done, result, nearly a month of replacing around 40 miles of stuff .
grrrrr.:)

Interesting , when this precise thing happened to my route the NV3 "helpdesk" person said there was nothing that could be done, result, nearly a month of replacing around 40 miles of stuff .
grrrrr.:)

Old person no longer there. Sadly tips and tricks sometimes are not passed on and disappear with history. This isn't uncommon in support roles.

The short answer is only download routes that guarantee assets are on the DLS or referenced from official N3V payware. The only way the former can be removed is under very special circumstances (though there's nothing to stop the owner nerfing it with an update turning the item into a blade of grass) and the latter if/when N3V ever ceased trading.

After spend more time looking for stuff and spending money (Trains:Kuids:Assets site) than running trains I've decide to follow your example, that being said I wish to uninstall all the partly installed assets. Being almost brand new to the game, I still much in the learning mode as to folder and file structure, file naming, (how to find a Spruce 10 folder) or know what inside the sub-folder Hash-1A folder in the local folder without having to open it.

Is there a decent tutorial on the file structure, how to edit an asset? It seems to me that folks have hinted that you can edit an old asset version so it can be used as an updated asset, my Spruce 10 asset for example. While I can understand that altering thing may "break" them but it should also be a way to get an asset to work. the question that arise is what gets altered (version number? any thing else?) where do you do the altering? In MS Train Simulator on many files you needed to change things under at least two different file name and I think I remember there were times that I had to change three different bits of info to get thing to work.

Would appreciate any insight.
Thanks Don

I have to agree with you 100% on this one. I make routes and sessions, and the least I want is people PMing me asking where you get this KUID or something like that. Everything (might be a route that needs fixing, but is planned on being upgraded in the next Trainz game) is pure from the DLS, and not 3rd party sites.

I had some friends ask me why I don't use JR things. My reply is "if its 3rd party junk and not the DLS, it doesn't enter my hard drive. No exceptions." - Since I make both freeware and payware things, I don't want to get in trouble about content from websites being accidentally part of my things, so DLS it is. I don't really care how good quality is on those 3rd party sites, if that person wanted it featured, they are to contact the author and hope they upload it to the DLS, but I haven't had to say that yet...

I basically continue until I can fine the item on the DLS, and if can't fine it, fine something close to it. That's basically what I been doing.

Just wanted to share some of my thoughts:)

Speaking of vanishing stuff and Jointed Rail, kind of interesting if you put the two together:

[h=1]Hmmm...can’t reach this page[/h] Try this

Details
It took too long to connect to this website.
Error Code: INET_E_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT

After spend more time looking for stuff and spending money (Trains:Kuids:Assets site) than running trains I've decide to follow your example, that being said I wish to uninstall all the partly installed assets. Being almost brand new to the game, I still much in the learning mode as to folder and file structure, file naming, (how to find a Spruce 10 folder) or know what inside the sub-folder Hash-1A folder in the local folder without having to open it.

Is there a decent tutorial on the file structure, how to edit an asset? It seems to me that folks have hinted that you can edit an old asset version so it can be used as an updated asset, my Spruce 10 asset for example. While I can understand that altering thing may "break" them but it should also be a way to get an asset to work. the question that arise is what gets altered (version number? any thing else?) where do you do the altering? In MS Train Simulator on many files you needed to change things under at least two different file name and I think I remember there were times that I had to change three different bits of info to get thing to work.

Would appreciate any insight.
Thanks Don

There's no need to touch the Hash-1A or any of the Hash folders whatsoever. All your editing is done via Content Manager where you can clone another tree and make that your Spruce 10 and substitute that. It means editing your clone to match the same KUID number as the missing tree and then importing the clone back in. We can give you details on how to do this in another thread where that information will be easy to find rather than having it get missed here. Post a thread topic for us to respond to.

There has been a few times where I followed a download link on a working 3rd-party that is supposed to call up the CDP file I seek, but it returns a place holder "404" error. virtuallocomotiveworks.weebly.com, Trainz Forge member Jacksonbarno's personal site is still online, but a majority of the download links were "killed," presumably when he joined the Forge team. None of that content was re-hosted on the Forge. One of the items that was pulled was a B&O reskin of Simulatortrain's caboose, which was the main reason why I created and released a reskin of Pencil42's caboose on the DLS. It said on Barno's website that he had gotten permission from ST to release his reskin to the public, so I feel it was a waste for having it deleted when it could have been transferred to the Forge. One of the risks of sourcing your content from 3rd-party sites: subject to removal at any time.

So you claim not to have "spit the dummy", then proceed to spit the dummy.😂😂

May I ask why someone who regards Trainz as a "dying simulator" is still lurking around on its forums? The OP made a perfectly good point. It's people like you that have turned so many people off Trainz.

If you feel you deserve more than a thank you and credit for your creations, offer them as payware. If not, stop complaining. But either way you look at it, you did indeed spit the dummy.

Thanks John, this is very valuable information to have. So did the lead developer offer a reason for this not being a change made to the game itself? It seems to be a tad bit more important to the experience of using the software than say, having ripples in rain puddles or raindrops on windshields.

William

Back