Strange portal problem

GreyAreaUK

Last night as part of a test to see whether I could (a) bring my gaming PC downstairs and use it on the big TV (I can) and (b) to see if I can use Trainz adequately with a Logitech wireless keyboard/trackpad (I can, ish) I ran into an odd problem. I fired up TMR2017 and laid out a 3x2 baseboard, then placed a Portal at either end (the tunnel kind, although I subsequently tried others) and linked them together with track.

However, when I tried to get either portal to generate Trainz I ran into an odd issue - I couldn't enter any orders.

I was able to choose a train. I was able to assign a driver to that train. But when I clicked the >> icon in the orders bar, all I got was a chirp. If I simply placed a train on the tracks I was able to issue commands, but no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to work in the Portal window...just chirping (the same chirp you get when you try to alter a piece of track with a consist on it).

Now, I'm 100% sure that I'm just being a numpty, but I confess it stumped me. Any ideas?

Last edited:
...aaaaaand the solution was to go into the Rules menu (session rules maybe? can't remember) and twiddle a couple of things there. I don't think it mattered what, it just forced a refresh of what rules were available I guess. Lo and behold it all sprang back to life.

Ho hum.

Back