What is Trainz Rendering or Gaming

constar261

Over the past year or so we in the pc community have to define our tasks as either rendering or gaming. Which when trying to built a pc to handle trainz "TANE" fall into a problem is if trainz required a more rendering intensive pc build or should someone gear more toward a traditional gaming pc. Which also brings one to another point does trainz value multi core multi threaded cpu's or perform better with stronger single core performance? Which makes one wonder are we really gaming or simulating and maybe both. I guess what I am asking is what should one strive for to get the best trainz experience build for gaming or build for rendering?

If I were to get a TR4 1920x can trainz make use all of those cores an threads?

Probably if required, you won't need a Ryzen Thread Ripper for TANE though. This PC is a self build Ryzen 5 1600 6 cores 12 Threads and it is happily using them in TANE.
Benchmarking processor wise
Single Core the Ryzen is fractionally slower than my i7 - 6700K
Multicore it's leaving the i7 standing.....

I would think a Ryzen 7 1700 or 1800 would be more than capable. and a lot cheaper when coupled with a decent GPU, 980TI, 1070TI, 1080, 1080TI (My opinion only)

I'm only using a EVGA 6GB GTX1060 with the Ryzen and it will run TANE on high settings but not ultra! Not my TANE PC so is more than adequate for everything else, its a replacement for an i7-3700K setup that the motherboard died on.
Got the bits at a very good price from a major supliers closing down sale.

Last edited:
I currently have a 1080ti thanks to implusive buying and got mine 2 months before the big mining boom so I'm good on gpu.
Trying to figure out a decent upgrade path from the fx 9590.
It's either tr4 1920x, ryzen 1800x, ryzen 2 2800x if it exists, 8700k, or 7800x. either way i am looking at new board, ram, and cpu.

To match your 1080ti, I would say the 8700k is the way to go if budget allows. I have a 6700k with a gtx1080 and, on some more demanding routes / sessions, I can still see frame rates dip right down in places but with the GPU working at less than 50% capacity - i.e. it is the CPU that is struggling to keep up. The 8700k will give you 6 cores / 12 threads and is the fastest consumer processor out there for now, thus being the best match for your graphics card in my opinion.

@vostrail you may be right.
Just finished running through tons of pointless graphs and data to still be confused until one youtube video brought it together. It said if you want a workstation get the 1800x if you do any kind of gaming get the 8700k and it will still work great as a work station. To change my current system i am looking at about $985 usd but before i pull the trigger i want to see how intel reponds to ryzen 2 this year. There is 1 question i need answered. Does trainz get anything from having multi core multi threaded processors or is there no advantage at all that includes the next version of trainz after tane?

I believe Chris (windwalker) answered a similar question on a different thread (may have been the developer forum). IIRC 4 cores are used typically, if available. I have monitored my demanding session with MSI Afterburner and saw cpu usage at anything up to 80%, which I believe implies all 4 cores with 6 of the 8 hyperthreads were being exploited at times.

I believe Chris (windwalker) answered a similar question on a different thread (may have been the developer forum). IIRC 4 cores are used typically, if available. I have monitored my demanding session with MSI Afterburner and saw cpu usage at anything up to 80%, which I believe implies all 4 cores with 6 of the 8 hyperthreads were being exploited at times.

This post I believe.

The OP's GTX1080 should be more than adequate for the new PBR materials in TRS18. I don't know how the CPU is affected for that.

Those wanting to make PBR materials and using products such as Substance Painter certainly need some horsepower. Creating new textures from multi layered and procedural techniques demands a lot of horsepower. The results are amazing though.

Back