In Game Download Station

D1ScafellPike

T:ANE User
Does anybody know why some asset downloads fail because of "Login Details". i have checked my login details in settings and the game says login succeeded and correct, and yet still does not download. Also, some download fine and some say "Failed, Please check your MyTrainz login details". If anyone knows why this is/or has experienced similar problems, please post a reply, it might help me. Also, is there any difference between the online download station and the dls tab on the TrainzContent page accessed from within the start window under content manager? If so what are the differences regarding downloads/ease of download? Recently, i have downloaded a route from the dls and it has finished, but not showed up in the content manager, not under faulty and all. Why is this? Finally, is anyone else experiencing download speeds as little as 9Kb/s, or is it just my network, or is there a Trainz server download speed restriction?
---
Thank you greatly for any replies,
Greg

Welcome to the forums.

To answer your questions:

1. I notice that Trainz A New Era isn't appearing next to your username. You could do with contacting Helpdesk on that.
2. I'd recommend using Content Manager as it avoids any association issues.
3. The speed is limited unless you purchase and activate a first class ticket.

Shane

There's another thread about this:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...oad-Station-Server-Full&p=1664629#post1664629

I have the same problem, and TANE is showing for me (although it shows -Std and I have the Platinum package, which is supposed to include Deluxe, right?), and my login is correct in the same way you describe. This started a week or two ago for me. It makes no sense that I can figure out.

If you don't own a first class ticket (an additional expense over and above the cost of the sim...something I'm not happy about), then the speed for downloads is indeed severely restricted.

Last edited:
There's another thread about this:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...oad-Station-Server-Full&p=1664629#post1664629

I have the same problem, and TANE is showing for me (although it shows -Std and I have the Platinum package, which is supposed to include Deluxe, right?), and my login is correct in the same way you describe. This started a week or two ago for me. It makes no sense that I can figure out.

If you don't own a first class ticket (an additional expense over and above the cost of the sim...something I'm not happy about), then the speed for downloads is indeed severely restricted.

Unfortunately the costs for the server side has to be met somehow (and purchases of the games/DLC can only take it so far).

Shane

Yes, I've heard that excuse. It's odd that no other simulator or game I have (out of the hundreds I have) charge extra to support the server. I would think supporting a server is a cost of doing business, not a separate way to make money. The purchase of games/DLC seem to cover such expenses for all the others. In fact, how does throttling speed save money?

But, that's beside the point. Any suggestions on the particular problem in question?

There's been more information offered in the other thread. Perhaps these two threads could be joined?

At any rate, there's been a lot of server failed connections for the free server lately according to this:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...oad-Station-Server-Full&p=1664707#post1664707

The chart you link, Shane, is connection speed.

Sort of adds insult to injury for this to happen to the free server but not really to the paid server.

It's actually both but you have to scroll down the page (and technically it's more likely for the free server to have issues as that's probably more used than the paid server).

Shane

Yes, I've heard that excuse. It's odd that no other simulator or game I have (out of the hundreds I have) charge extra to support the server. I would think supporting a server is a cost of doing business, not a separate way to make money.

Not a very valid set of comparisons.

"The cost of doing business" is another way of saying "the cost is added into the price".

I have no idea what are the hundreds of games you have, how much they each cost and how their costs are spread out over the number of copies sold - if you sell many thousands the unit cost is $X, sell many hundreds of thousands the unit cost is less than $X, and so on. I don't know how many copies of TANE have been sold but I suspect that it would be far far less than the latest "cult game".

I just checked the price for the PC version of "Far Cry 5" (which I know little about but I doubt I would enjoy it as much as TANE) due out in about a week - $89AUS.

TANE SP2 (vanilla edition) available on the Trainz Store - about $32.50AUS at the current lousy exchange rate.
12 month FCT - about $11.50AUS

The cost of TANE SP2 and just under 5 years of annual FCTs = 1 Far Cry 5. But by then Far Cry 8 or 9 would be out and by purchasing them you would be paying even more. To be fair by then (I would hope) that Trainz 2023 (or whatever) would also be out but the price economics (another assumption I know) would still be in favour of TANE/NEXT/2023.

I think the FCT is a bargain.

You pick an extreme example. For one thing, Far Cry doesn’t require that you download a lot of content for anything you add to the game and charge you for reasonable download speeds and limit the number of free connections.
Let's take a more reasonable example of another sim game with lots of free content and lots of DLC, like XPlane or Farming Simulator. They charge about the same for the base game, and make free content and paid DLC available for no added download cost or limited service. And downloading free content for them doesn’t require that you connect to some central content server to download lots of parts to complete the new content.

Or let's consider why N3V sells on Steam but doesn’t allow users to use the Steam Workshop feature that would allow content makers and users quick and easy access to whatever they wanted like TS20** does for no additional cost and as full a download speed as you are capable of at no costs to the company and with smooth and user-friendly integration into the sim.

In the other thread, a company rep admitted they limit the number of free connections in addition to throttling them. And the charts show that problems are MUCH more frequent on the free servers.

I get get that this is a fan forum of long time users, but you guys need to face the fact that with the very user-unfriendly game structure, and the even more user-unfriendly DLS structure, despite trumpeting it as a central feature of the sim...classic bait and switch tactic...this sim is unlikely to get many new fans. It’s not the only train sim in town. There just aren’t going to be that many short-time users that stick around.

I've certainly spent my last penny on N3V.

You pick an extreme example. For one thing, Far Cry doesn’t require that you download a lot of content for anything you add to the game and charge you for reasonable download speeds and limit the number of free connections.
Let's take a more reasonable example of another sim game with lots of free content and lots of DLC, like XPlane or Farming Simulator. They charge about the same for the base game, and make free content and paid DLC available for no added download cost or limited service. And downloading free content for them doesn’t require that you connect to some central content server to download lots of parts to complete the new content.

Or let's consider why N3V sells on Steam but doesn’t allow users to use the Steam Workshop feature that would allow content makers and users quick and easy access to whatever they wanted like TS20** does for no additional cost and as full a download speed as you are capable of at no costs to the company and with smooth and user-friendly integration into the sim.

In the other thread, a company rep admitted they limit the number of free connections in addition to throttling them. And the charts show that problems are MUCH more frequent on the free servers.

I get get that this is a fan forum of long time users, but you guys need to face the fact that with the very user-unfriendly game structure, and the even more user-unfriendly DLS structure, despite trumpeting it as a central feature of the sim...classic bait and switch tactic...this sim is unlikely to get many new fans. It’s not the only train sim in town. There just aren’t going to be that many short-time users that stick around.

I've certainly spent my last penny on N3V.

Maybe farming is a better less stressful thing for you to do.

Nope, you just have to spend anywhere from $4.99 - $200 on DLC to get that free user content to work.

Disclaimer: My 2 cents worth

There's been more information offered in the other thread. Perhaps these two threads could be joined?

At any rate, there's been a lot of server failed connections for the free server lately according to this:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...oad-Station-Server-Full&p=1664707#post1664707

The chart you link, Shane, is connection speed.

Sort of adds insult to injury for this to happen to the free server but not really to the paid server.

Please read the whole post, you take this out of context. Please read the whole post, it may shed some more light.

Maybe farming is a better less stressful thing for you to do.

I'm sorry. Did I insult your favorite toy and hurt your feelings?

@hiawathamr: I have SO MUCH freeware content for TS2018 that works just fine with only the route it's made for. And I have great free routes that draw largely from routes that come with the game. And, honestly, I'd rather spend $4-20 bucks or more on additional content to use some other very nice user made content (that way I have both the user-made stuff AND the DLC) than to spend money just buying access to the download service that almost every other company provides free, and that this company features centrally in its marketing as a reason to buy the sim. At least in TS2018, if I have to buy a DLC to make a freeware route work, I have two routes to show for it. Here, if I buy a third party route, I STILL have to download a lot of assets from the DLS and pay to do so if I want to ensure I can connect.

I haven't fussed about the download throttling, although I find it irritating. It's the fact that I now almost constantly experience the inability to download because they have limited the number of connections, and have to pay if I want to fix that, that I find just too much!

I'm happy that the company has loyal fans like you guys who will pay them for the privilege of downloading stuff. They should also be happy, because I think you guys are probably all they're going to be able to depend on in the future. Because I'm also sure I'm not the only one put off by this particular business model. I've spent thousands of dollars on games and sims (and lots more before that on HO models and supplies). I don't even want to think about how much, really. But I'm happy to spend it because I spend it knowing what I'm buying going in. It's the bait and switch tactic employed here that I object to, not the cost.

That's what this and the other thread like it are about, after all: the way those who don't pay for a FCT are getting shut out of the server.

Thanks Shane, I use another account for tane. this one is older and i used it when i got trainz on my tablet. i use content manager anyway but i wondered if the internet was better, thanks.

Back