PRR New York Penn Central to Manhattan Transfer.

chrispearce

Dear all,
I am thinking of building the line from Penn Central (NY) westwards ie: in the direction of Washington. I have looked at google maps to follow the route but, as I am looking at building during the late steam era, important places such as Manhattan Transfer have disappeared. I have tried to find any info I can online but other than some useful pics have been unable to find out enough about its layout etc.
I may end up building a 'best impression' which will slightly bend the timeline so I can run GG1s but still play with third-rail electric traction on the way to Penn Central for the fun of doing the loco changes.
Can anyone help me with this? ANY info will be gratefully received.

First off Penn Central was made up of the old PRR and NYC so you should be looking for them not Penn Central witch came in in the late 1960s.

You're right. It seems searching in google for Penn Central also brings up stuff about the station. I don't wish to build the doomed Penn Central company!

A good source of historic aerial maps and aerial photos is Historic Aerials at www.historicaerials.com You can go back in time and view the topographic maps as well as photos of the same area, which allows you to compare what's there both then and now. Some of the photos date back to the 1930s and 1940s, which is a really great source of information.

I will say if haven't invested already that you take a look at TransDEM. As much as people say there's a big learning curve with the program, it will allow you to build this route with accurate terrain, and complete with maps in place ready to lay tracks once the route imported in to T:ANE. The cost is about $34 these days.

http://www.rolandziegler.de/StreckeUndLandschaft/startseiteTransDEMEngl.htm

This is a free ebook on Google

[h=1]History of the engineering, construction, and equipment of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company's New York terminal and approaches ... / / edited by Wm. Couper, former acting secretary, Board of Engineers[/h]https://books.google.com/books?id=1Vs5AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA31&lpg=PA31&dq=manhattan+transfer+railroad&source=bl&ots=N_IBZ3tiAw&sig=4pG0cosvev5W7sZKm_XcTnTj-0Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxi8D8h4HaAhUuwFkKHSxSCCMQ6AEIazAK#v=onepage&q=manhattan%20transfer%20railroad&f=false

Back